Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
01-07-2015, 04:15 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(01-07-2015 02:52 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Made it into a necklace or something....

Blush Hehehe...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
01-07-2015, 06:49 AM
(30-06-2015 11:04 PM)Trixie Wrote:  I heard there were unicorns, rainbows, & cake? Actually I was told by a friend that I needed to check out this site. So here I am...

The unicorn is a lie.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
01-07-2015, 06:54 AM
I am a software engineer in Austin, TX. I grew up in a southern baptist family. I was a devout christian most of my life. It took about five years but the more learned about history and science, i finally came to the conclusion that I am an atheist. I just recently came to the conclusion I do not have a good reason to believe in an imaginary man in the sky. When I heard Seth Andrew deconversion due to my history it related to me alot. Because of my history most of the people I know are religious so I joined this forum to meet other rational thinkers.
[+] 1 user Likes jlparris's post
01-07-2015, 07:30 AM
Said it elsewhere, but I'll say it again... glad you're here. Glad you're in "weird" Austin, if you must be in Texas. There are worse options in that state, labeled "Everywhere Else."

Like your story. "Too intelligent to keep believing it after I actually read what my whole religion had to say" is about the most common deconversion story, coupled with "everyone else I know is still a falling-down-dumb, Christoholic cultist".

Might be phrased differently, but that's the gist. Smile

So, welcome!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
01-07-2015, 08:36 AM
Yeah I had a brain fart and forgot I already posted an introduction of myself.

(01-07-2015 07:30 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Said it elsewhere, but I'll say it again... glad you're here. Glad you're in "weird" Austin, if you must be in Texas. There are worse options in that state, labeled "Everywhere Else."

Like your story. "Too intelligent to keep believing it after I actually read what my whole religion had to say" is about the most common deconversion story, coupled with "everyone else I know is still a falling-down-dumb, Christoholic cultist".

Might be phrased differently, but that's the gist. Smile

So, welcome!
01-07-2015, 11:09 PM
Hi- I'm Dean from Brisbane in Australia. I don't come from a religious family and have little personal experience of fundamentalist religious belief (and what contact I have had was extremely negative). What does concern me is the encroachment of fundamentalist beliefs in to publ;ic life via lobby groups and other political pressure.
[+] 3 users Like Dean M's post
02-07-2015, 06:12 AM
Welcome, Dean. If you really want to have the full experience, come visit America. Worst I've seen is Oklahoma City, capital of Oklahoma, where literally at one vehicle in three has a "Jesus Fish" 3-D decal on its backside, there are giant crosses on the side of the road everywhere, and the skyscrapers downtown light up their windows at night in the shape of crosses. It's a city where they have both one of the best gay-nightclub districts in the country as well as the largest Megachurch in the country. Go figure.

And where a guy literally fistfought me at a stoplight in traffic because I, who was on my motorcycle with a flip-face helmet, laughed at his bumper sticker that read "I believe in the Big Bang: God spoke and BANG! it happened." (endquote) He leaned out his window to ask what I was laughing about, I told him, and he got out and came at me yelling incoherent religious stuff. I barely had time to get off the bike and interpose myself between him and it before he hit me-- only to realize two things. One, I was wearing a leather jacket that contained protective armor, as well as my helmet, and Two, that I had studied martial arts since I was five and knew how to turn a "haymaker" swing into a new trajectory toward the curb for him. Unfortunately, bouncing off the curb just made the Christer madder.

The situation resolved itself when a trucker (a fellow biker) who had pulled off the Interstate and was stopped at the same off-ramp light where this occurred got out of his vehicle and ran the guy off.

That was when I decided to move to Kansas, which turned out to be a mistake that cost me nearly a decade of my freedom primarily because they don't believe in science, there. My job as a field biologist for the state environmental department gave me an office overlooking the Topeka Board of Education (the famous one), where they were holding public discussions on the topic of changing the school science curriculum to include "Intelligent Design alongside Evolution", to "teach the controversy", and was about 5 blocks down the same road on which the Westboro Baptist "God Hates Fags" Church is headquartered.

So, that's fundamentalism in America in a nutshell, at least in my mind. I'm in Missouri, now. If you ever drop by the USA's Midwest, let me know, and I'll give you the Fundie Tour! Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
02-07-2015, 07:26 AM
Welcome all new people! Wink
02-07-2015, 07:31 AM
Sorry Trixie, no unicorns Sad but we do have some satyrs and dragons over in the casual coffeehouse...
03-07-2015, 12:48 AM
(01-07-2015 11:09 PM)Dean M Wrote:  Hi- I'm Dean from Brisbane in Australia. I don't come from a religious family and have little personal experience of fundamentalist religious belief (and what contact I have had was extremely negative). What does concern me is the encroachment of fundamentalist beliefs in to publ;ic life via lobby groups and other political pressure.

Welcome Dean.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Thread Closed