Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
07-09-2011, 12:09 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
hi - I am looking forward to getting to know the community and discussing ideas Smile

I want for myself what I want for every women, absolute equality. Agnes Macphail
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2011, 10:57 AM

Hello all. I was looking for a place to communicate with like minded individuals and will read more and post more as I have the time.
07-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Hello all. I am currently 13 years old, and I have rejected religon since i was 10. I am also a huge nerd (I play DnDBig Grin). I aspire to be an astrophysicist, and came here to talk with like minded people, considering I am the only atheist in my community.

I am going to hell because i dare to question bronze-age goat herders, and think for myself.
~Me~

I am not smarter than religious people because I have a better understanding of science than them. I am smarter because I know I am not going to live forever, and I am happy with that.
~Me~
Find all posts by this user
07-09-2011, 06:36 PM

Howdy all, my name is Jack, and I'm from Manchester, NH, originally from Methuen, Mass.

I was raised in the Episcopal Church (Catholicism lite), but it never really stuck. I went through the motions, confirmation etc because that's what my family expected.

It may have been my parents making the mistake of populating a large bookshelf in my bedroom with an encyclopedia, and various other books on science and history - which I devoured as soon as I could read. Or it may have been just apathy, who can really know.

At around age 9 I was IQ tested by one of my older sister's teachers and she was stunned to discover I had college level reading skills and an IQ of around 150.

It was around that same time I started refusing to say the Pledge of Allegiance and took my "silent prayer" time just thinking about whatever I wanted to.

As a teen, when faced with the question of what I believed I had to conclude that I was an agnostic. I used to say "I don't know, and neither do you." Needless to say this didn't tend to make me any friends.

I got married, had kids, stopped attending church, got divorced and by age 34 I decided to become serious about the subject of religion. I think this was around the time my dad passed away. I began questioning whether any existing religion was right for me. I spent quite a lot of time reading about all the other religions and, until I had read more deeply into it, was leaning towards Buddhism. In the end I had to conclude that they were all hooey and didn't stand up to even casual scrutiny. At that point I had to give up my agnostic position and accept that I was an Atheist.

Years passed and then 9/11 happened. It shook my world that crazy militant religionists were still around and willing to do something so completely insane (ok, maybe I was living in a bubble, whatever). At that point I became a militant Atheist. Religion wasn't merely delusional, it was dangerous. I had to accept that the other bad things I'd seen done by the religious weren't merely exceptions or political acts, but were driven by their religious beliefs.

Since then I've immersed myself in the various online resources - logic, ethics, origins, mythology, numerous Atheist/humanists blogs, Youtube Atheists (Matt & crew, Thunderf00t, AronRa, Zinnia, Criss, Shane and PhilH to name a few), read deeply into Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, etc. It's wonderful what a great community is out there on the internets.

I don't usually join forums as I find them to be mostly mental masturbation, but I'm going to give this one a go after watching Seth's talk from the OK convention.

I'm now 50, remarried to a wonderful ex-Catholic who is a decidedly non-militant Atheist and loving life. We have two crazy cats and one on loan from my daughter while she is stationed overseas with the Navy. I'm a self taught software engineer with a large company (we make chips that are... everywhere).

The only really sucky part of my life is being diagnosed with stage IV prostate cancer almost a year ago. The Chemo was brutal and the depression caused by thinking about at all the things I would lose (my wife, my kids, not being around to see my grandkids grow up) was debilitating. Thank science for anti-depressants. Before I was on them I couldn't have written this without breaking down into tears. As it is I can feel them wanting to start, but I can control it.

My life, in a nutshell. Pleased to meet y'all.
07-09-2011, 07:00 PM

Hello, I'm from a small town in the south, where I'm the only Atheist, and I've taken to the Internet to search for like-minded 'souls.'
07-09-2011, 09:19 PM

Hi my name is Antony Ayala I been a atheist since i could remember. My mother was really opened about what we wanted to belive. I am 23 and i have a baby of 6 months old. I hope she grows up thinking free. But some times it think that she will not have that chance because my mother in law is a diehard religious person. But only time will tell.
08-09-2011, 07:19 AM

Hi- I'm Julia, a 47 year old dairy farmer from rural (yes, there is rural) New York. I was raised Methodist, even taught Sunday School 20 years ago. I started thinking seriously about religion when I met my husband, about 15 years ago. He was raised Catholic, (Catholic School, an altar boy) but had the vision to question what the priests were saying in high school. He started asking me questions about my faith, that I couldn't answer honestly and rationally. I started to think, there might not be a god, maybe it was all just a bunch of fairy tales. I can vividly remember the first time I said to myself, "There is no God". I paused for a minute in my head and thought- that wasn't so bad... then I actually felt a weight being lifted away from me- like I just got rid of all the baggage- and I felt like I saw the world so much clearer. I dabbled in Scientific Pantheism for awhile, and still appreciate the fascination and reverence they have with ALL THINGS- material and emotional.
I came to this forum after watching the Oklahoma Freethought presentation by the site founder. It made me realize how important it is for us to share our stories as there are many people who are asking themselves the same questions my husband asked of me about my faith. I want to let them know that you'll be OK if you abandon your old superstitions and step into the realm of the here and now reality. I love life so much more now, my mind can't research enough scientific principles- I want to understand EVERYTHING like it really is- and, like Seth, I'm not afraid of dying anymore- Imagine That!
[+] 1 user Likes farmerjulia's post
08-09-2011, 10:26 AM

Good Morning,Wink[/size]

My name is Susan and I am 6 years in recovery. It was for me a very difficult journey. My story is a little different in as much as I was a nun. I had not taken my final vows which was much easier on me. You have no idea how depressing that was. I was raised Catholic by my parents and sent to Catholic schools. I didnt have a chance in ........ of getting out unscathed. What makes it really difficult was the fact that I did not ask for a name which one is given three choices and I found out later the sisters were praying for that. Reverend Mother had a special name she wanted to give a postulant but it had to be one that did not choose a name for herself. Yup I was the sucker. On the slip of paper I was given I wrote, "If GOD wants me here he will give me a name. Can any of you see what must have taken place when that slip was opened. Talk about proof prayer works that must have sealed it. LOL.

About two weeks before the ceremony to take one from guest status to a member of the community (approx. 7 mos.) the sisters in the next tier known as first and second year novices started calling me Sr. Mary Latrine. They got a big kick out of it leaving me in the dark. I guess word travels down but it stops at that level. None of the postulants knew a thing.

The big day came and Reverend Mother appeared in the room I was dressing from wedding gown to habit when she entered. She had the largest pair of shears I had ever seen. I was told to kneel she then wacked off a lock of my hair and said you shall be known as Sister Maura Cai"trin (Gaelic for Mary Cathrine) pronounced Katreen. Now it all made sense. I could tell there was excitement in her voice. She was one happy camper for sure.

Two years later when I had given all I could and found myself wanting much more I made the decision to leave. I knew this was going to be very damaging as that name can never by given out again. Later after Vatican II I learned they stopped giving out names in the secular orders (meaning noncloistered) and you kept your real name.

It was then after leaping the wall I decided to look into my beliefs and question everything. I read the bible from first to last page for the first time. The Catholic faith never encouraged reading it even though they had their own bible. When I finished I exclaimed "what kind of a god is this?" It didn't end there I went on to study everything I could find on the truth of scripture and what was its purpose.

My journey has ended and I found the following:
I have control of my own life.
I do not accept that people are inherently evil.
I am responsible for what I fail to do or do.
I am at peace and loving my life.
I do not fear death for I have done all I have ever wanted.
and finally I am a lot less gullible. LOL

Thank you,

GrinNBarrett (Susan)
08-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Hi there everybody Smile I'm 25, my hometown is a little post-Soviet country in the northeastern Europe. I graduated with M.Sc. in computer science a year ago. Now running a modest software company. I'm a fan of rock music and I adore playing guitar, drums, keyboards and whatever else which can produce sounds.

About my religion, I was born in the times of Communism, raised in a non-believing family and went through several stages of being a non-believer (childhood), a militant atheist (late teens), and a mild believer without a religion (around 17 or 18). Now enjoying my free-thinking agnostic life.

I discovered this forum while recovering from a recent personal drama which had its roots in Christianity (I'm planning to post about it soon). Hope to find here a lot of interesting discussion and contribute to it.
Find all posts by this user
09-09-2011, 12:29 AM

Hello everyone,

My name is Shane. I am a graduate student at a university in southern California. I am studying history. I have been an atheist for quite some time. My friends and family know, and for the most part, they are alright with it.

I am generally rather reserved about my lack of religious beliefs. I don't like to tell people, especially if I barely know them because I am afraid of verbal attacks by believers. Today, I accidentally came out as an atheist in public during class. Somehow the topic of religion came up in discussion and a friend of mine said "Don't get my started on atheism, it's such a religion." For some reason it struck a chord and I replied saying "I'm sorry, I greatly disagree because I am an atheist."

I tried to make a point saying that is a lack of a belief in God and that their is no faith in atheism. My discussion group wouldn't have any of it though as they said it takes faith to come to believe in the theories of science, because they are only theories. They won the argument because 1) I didn't know what to say and 2) it wasn't really the topic of the class discussion (which was the historical theory of Marxism). Sadly, this means I lost a debate to a group of believers and I feel like I let the atheistic community down. I'll admit, I was slightly offended too.

So, that is why I finally decided to join an atheist forum. I need to learn the "ins and outs" of atheistic debates. I have read a lot of atheist literature, and I have had calm discussions with open-minded believers, but never anything where I felt I had to actually defend my non-belief.

Secondly, I hope to talk and meet some like minded people because I don't really have any friends who are atheists.
Thread Closed