Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
27-07-2015, 12:08 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(26-07-2015 10:01 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  DemSit - Your English is better than most of the people online, better than some of the people here on this site (and we are way above the average, for education and literacy), so don't feel bad. We will not judge you for not learning English as your first language.

Tell us some more about you-- where from, for instance? (Obviously not the UK, the USA, Australia, Canada, or New Zealand!)

Thanks for your interest and kind welcoming words Smile
I'm from germany and, which for this forum might be of interest, am neither a moderate atheist nor am I an anti - theist. I'm rather something between both extremes. I took the liberty and read both your profile and some of the texts you posted. Where I live it's easy to forget that in some regions of the world, and even in a western country like the US, *not* believing can cause so many troubles. I assume I really got to understand first that the topic 'atheism' for some has a completely different emotional and social context than it has to me.
Find all posts by this user
28-07-2015, 09:20 AM
Hey everyone!
Been reading this forum for years but just made an ID yesterday.
Looking forward to have a good time here!
Cheers! Smile
[+] 3 users Like ynahd's post
28-07-2015, 09:24 AM
(28-07-2015 09:20 AM)ynahd Wrote:  Hey everyone!
Cheers! Smile

... Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Welcome ynahd Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
28-07-2015, 01:14 PM
(28-07-2015 09:20 AM)ynahd Wrote:  Looking forward to have a good time here!

Good times, bad times you know I've had my share.

#sigh
28-07-2015, 01:24 PM
(28-07-2015 09:20 AM)ynahd Wrote:  Hey everyone!
Cheers! Smile

Nice to meet you!
28-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new here and have only recently "came out" as an atheist. I live in a small town in the bible belt and feel really alone at times, so needless to say I'm excited to find a community where I can discuss things without being considered an outsider and troublemaker.
[+] 2 users Like hughgibson's post
28-07-2015, 07:35 PM
(28-07-2015 07:17 PM)hughgibson Wrote:  Hello everyone, I'm new here and have only recently "came out" as an atheist. I live in a small town in the bible belt and feel really alone at times, so needless to say I'm excited to find a community where I can discuss things without being considered an outsider and troublemaker.

Welcome to the group!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
29-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Hello Everyone. Just realized I made this profile back in early 2013, but never posted. I've been following the podcasts & the FB page for a while.

I wouldn't call myself a closet atheist, but I wouldn't say I'm out of the closet either. My husband & I share similar thoughts and feelings so I have his love and support. His family has a very European/Great Briton approach to religion which tends to believe that one should not force ones beliefs on another. Newer friends and family tend to think & feel the same way, or are open-minded enough to discuss things relatively well so I have no need to hide my atheism. Of course, with those differing in opinions, I still find that I have to police my words or watch the my thoughts in order to keep from insulting people I consider friends.

On the opposite hand, I have my family and a core of older friendships I developed during my religious days. I hide my current feelings and thoughts (as must as one who likes TTA posts on FB can hide) on religion. Mostly I avoid "coming out" to these people because I cringe at the thought of the gnashing of teeth that will ensue. The defining element that began my deconversion was the constant feeling of guilt religion forced upon me. Coming out to these individuals will cause them to attempt to guilt me back into faith. I have no doubts that I am firm in my opinions and I have no plans to return. Nevertheless, I do not want to feel the pressure or the sense of guilt that I am letting them down. I also do not want to be lectured, preached out, argued with, or prayed for by these individuals.

Daeuse
[+] 2 users Like Daeuse's post
29-07-2015, 03:47 PM
(29-07-2015 01:21 PM)Daeuse Wrote:  Hello Everyone. Just realized I made this profile back in early 2013, but never posted. I've been following the podcasts & the FB page for a while.

I wouldn't call myself a closet atheist, but I wouldn't say I'm out of the closet either. My husband & I share similar thoughts and feelings so I have his love and support. His family has a very European/Great Briton approach to religion which tends to believe that one should not force ones beliefs on another. Newer friends and family tend to think & feel the same way, or are open-minded enough to discuss things relatively well so I have no need to hide my atheism. Of course, with those differing in opinions, I still find that I have to police my words or watch the my thoughts in order to keep from insulting people I consider friends.

On the opposite hand, I have my family and a core of older friendships I developed during my religious days. I hide my current feelings and thoughts (as must as one who likes TTA posts on FB can hide) on religion. Mostly I avoid "coming out" to these people because I cringe at the thought of the gnashing of teeth that will ensue. The defining element that began my deconversion was the constant feeling of guilt religion forced upon me. Coming out to these individuals will cause them to attempt to guilt me back into faith. I have no doubts that I am firm in my opinions and I have no plans to return. Nevertheless, I do not want to feel the pressure or the sense of guilt that I am letting them down. I also do not want to be lectured, preached out, argued with, or prayed for by these individuals.

Welcome Smile

Thread Closed