Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
06-08-2015, 07:47 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(06-08-2015 06:37 PM)AirsoftingAtheist Wrote:  I'm new here and I am a navajo from AZ. Been a Christian Baptist up until a year and a half ago.

Welcome to TTA!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
06-08-2015, 07:49 PM
(06-08-2015 06:37 PM)AirsoftingAtheist Wrote:  I'm new here and I am a navajo from AZ. Been a Christian Baptist up until a year and a half ago.

Navajo...very cool! Big Grin

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
06-08-2015, 08:28 PM
I'm a 62 year old retired engineer (with a BSc degree in Physics, go figure). I'm a Libra. Guess that covers all the introductory bar talk. My sign actually is Libra, but that has as much weight in my life as the Abrahamic god that I used to believe in up until about 15 years ago, which is zip. I'm now a strong atheist, based on my study of the foibles of the human mind concerning comparative religion, superstition and logic. I was pretty busy with my work up until last October, when I retired. I don't argue with believers, as most of those conversations seem to just go past each other, and consider it a waste of my time (and theirs, but who cares how other people waste their time, as long as they aren't doing damage or wasting my time). I'm actually a fungi (I loves me a pun or two), but I do not suffer fools gladly, and have an extremely acid wit when provoked. I'll post my de-conversion story on the appropriate thread at some point. It will be appallingly dull. Consider yourselves warned. The exciting stuff in my life would probably bore most of you to tears. Trauma seems to be a pretty local phenomenon. BTW, I don't watch TV; I'm more of a mouse potato, and do wood- and metal-working as hobbies, so I'm out in the shop if I'm not punching the buttons on this box. This is the one post in which I will start most sentences with the letter "I", I promise. Wink
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
06-08-2015, 09:38 PM
Recovering Ex-Baptist Christoholic here, too. Jesus free for 22 years, now! Big Grin

Welcome to the forum, Airsoft!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
07-08-2015, 02:58 PM
Hey Everyone,

I am a 37 year old Anti-theist from Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada. I am an ex-mormon. I have been searching my entire life for the reason why I was having trouble believing the religious doctrines I was being taught. It wasn't until I left the Mormon Faith and entered into University that I truly learned about evolution! And, even then I was searching for answers to the questions...1) am I the only one who can not believe in god(s)? 2) should I tell anyone that I don't believe? 3) Can I be a good person and not believe?
Well, early this year (2015) I came across two videos that changed my life (for the better). The first, Was a Christopher Hitchens Debate with Frank Turek. the Second was a video from The Thinking Atheist - Podcast episode 161: Coming out Atheist
I learned that I wasn't the only one who thought like this, that it is ok to be an atheist, and that I am a good person (especially without religion)!

Looking forward to meeting many of you! cheers, Ed

Quote:"Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more Happiness, Truth, Beauty, and Wisdom will come to you that way." ~ Christopher Hitchens
[+] 3 users Like EdtheAntitheist's post
07-08-2015, 07:31 PM
Welcome Ed and Fireball! Smile

07-08-2015, 10:09 PM
Fireball's already adding good stuff... you have some catching up to do, Ed!

Glad to see you both, and look forward to your contributions.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
07-08-2015, 11:17 PM
(07-08-2015 10:09 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Fireball's already adding good stuff... you have some catching up to do, Ed!

Glad to see you both, and look forward to your contributions.

If theists taught us anything, it's quality, not quantity Tongue

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
08-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the welcome, folks! I strive for quality over quantity and am not afraid to jump right in. Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do here before I post too much. Lots to look at, especially in the Science threads.
08-08-2015, 01:19 PM
(06-08-2015 08:28 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I'm a 62 year old retired engineer (with a BSc degree in Physics, go figure). I'm a Libra. Guess that covers all the introductory bar talk. My sign actually is Libra, but that has as much weight in my life as the Abrahamic god that I used to believe in up until about 15 years ago, which is zip. I'm now a strong atheist, based on my study of the foibles of the human mind concerning comparative religion, superstition and logic. I was pretty busy with my work up until last October, when I retired. I don't argue with believers, as most of those conversations seem to just go past each other, and consider it a waste of my time (and theirs, but who cares how other people waste their time, as long as they aren't doing damage or wasting my time). I'm actually a fungi (I loves me a pun or two), but I do not suffer fools gladly, and have an extremely acid wit when provoked. I'll post my de-conversion story on the appropriate thread at some point. It will be appallingly dull. Consider yourselves warned. The exciting stuff in my life would probably bore most of you to tears. Trauma seems to be a pretty local phenomenon. BTW, I don't watch TV; I'm more of a mouse potato, and do wood- and metal-working as hobbies, so I'm out in the shop if I'm not punching the buttons on this box. This is the one post in which I will start most sentences with the letter "I", I promise. Wink

Welcome! Self-depreciation aside, you sound like a very interesting person and I look forward to your contributions on this forum

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed