Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
09-09-2011, 02:57 PM

Rainbow RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
42 yo gay man. Raised independent southern baptist if anyone has heard of those wack jobs. when I was a teen I tried everything from satanism to wicca. Before figuring out that all religion was nothing but fairy tales.
[+] 1 user Likes okcbigbear's post
09-09-2011, 03:09 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
"undercover atheist"
So, you are only "out" here... it gets better. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
09-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Hi, I'm kim.
I live in Emporia Kansas... about an hour from Fred Phelps and about an hour and a half from the woman minister featured in the film, "Jesus Camp".
Dodgy Yes, I'm living the dream.
I live in this small town, and am surrounded by townspeople who can be vicious when I say I'm a vegetarian. Some people know I'm an atheist but still really have no idea what I mean when I say it. Many have no idea that I might actually be happy and find just as much comfort in my non-belief, as they do in their belief.
Some actually feel that I must be a cold person and that I don't "feel" things the way they do... actual overheard quote: "why should she need the whole day off work for her Dad's funeral -she's an atheist?" ... I didn't understand that one, either... so I took 3 days ...plus the weekend. Angel
I'm almost certain that I've always been a non-theist. I know when I was young and was confronted with some kind of commitment, I rejected it completely and found myself searching for some sort of belief system that I could at least hold up to anyone who seemed to demand this. As a result, I know way too much about something I view as little more than superstition.
I am 50, and contrary to popular belief, I never experienced any kind of prayer in my public schools in the 60s and 70s. It seems to be something that has cropped up in the last 30 years. It may have been a backlash to the sexual revolution, the women's movement, the civil rights movement, the antiwar movement; any freedom that might have exposed someone's repression or fear. In recent years, I've noticed the increased stronghold of the fanatically religious and the audacious grasp for power over all.
However... the pendulum swings.
I know where I stand.
I am a non-theist.
Idea
Rolleyes

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
09-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Hi everyone ...

I was raised in the United Methodist church, although my folks weren't very strict about it. Grew up in Maryland, lived in Alaska for a bit, and now I'm back on the east coast, at least for the moment.

I consider myself an agnostic, and a de facto atheist. I suppose I'm also an apostate. -shrug-

I do have some close friends who are religious, although I've generally not discussed religion with them. I suppose I'm somewhat of a closet agnostic in that regard, although I don't make a strong effort to keep it secret.

It's nice to find a place with other nonbelievers/infidels/etc. to chat about it, and also find ways to counter some of the arguments that are out there. Smile

- Chip
09-09-2011, 08:51 PM

70,married,employed and Grandfather.
I consider myself to be a Spiritual Omnivore/Cultivator.You can be theist or non theist.I like the Tao.
thanks learner
10-09-2011, 12:17 PM

Hi everybody, I'm a 21 yo student or so, I was doing bachelor in physics in the college, but I quit and I am now searching for another course. I'm from Brazil also, so I'm not very familiar to talk in english, even if I speak well.
I was created by a single mom that was agnostic, and I think this is the main reason that I am atheist today. Even if I come from a country so close to the catolicism...
[+] 1 user Likes Eddywise's post
10-09-2011, 05:56 PM

I am an 18 year old Sr. in high school. I have been agnostic since the sixth grade and an atheist since June 2011. I try to not push my belief. I'm not closed about it but I do not proclaim to the world that I am an atheist. Whenever asked, or if a situation calls for it I state that I am and whatever happens happens.
[+] 1 user Likes TheSometimesCynicalWriter's post
10-09-2011, 10:09 PM
hello, my name is chris i am 23 years old and consider my self agnostic. i was raised southern baptist and lost my faith when i was 13. ever since i was young i really couldn't understand how anyone could put their faith in a god. i had questions and no one wanted answer. i see the world as what it is but can see an invisible person guide us in a life with no meaning.
12-09-2011, 07:07 AM

(09-09-2011 12:29 AM)Shane Wrote:  Hello everyone,

My name is Shane. I am a graduate student at a university in southern California. I am studying history. I have been an atheist for quite some time. My friends and family know, and for the most part, they are alright with it.

I am generally rather reserved about my lack of religious beliefs. I don't like to tell people, especially if I barely know them because I am afraid of verbal attacks by believers. Today, I accidentally came out as an atheist in public during class. Somehow the topic of religion came up in discussion and a friend of mine said "Don't get my started on atheism, it's such a religion." For some reason it struck a chord and I replied saying "I'm sorry, I greatly disagree because I am an atheist."

I tried to make a point saying that is a lack of a belief in God and that their is no faith in atheism. My discussion group wouldn't have any of it though as they said it takes faith to come to believe in the theories of science, because they are only theories. They won the argument because 1) I didn't know what to say and 2) it wasn't really the topic of the class discussion (which was the historical theory of Marxism). Sadly, this means I lost a debate to a group of believers and I feel like I let the atheistic community down. I'll admit, I was slightly offended too.

So, that is why I finally decided to join an atheist forum. I need to learn the "ins and outs" of atheistic debates. I have read a lot of atheist literature, and I have had calm discussions with open-minded believers, but never anything where I felt I had to actually defend my non-belief.

Secondly, I hope to talk and meet some like minded people because I don't really have any friends who are atheists.

great for you, im a sophmore at a southern military colleges and my hometown is deeply religious, so i know what its like. but one thing that helped me to learn to debate better,was online debating.like some forum where theres a bunch of religious people talking about god, then id post a comment like god is a character made up by stone age desert people and see what happens.that way you can get pretty much every argument thrown at you.youll be able to see them all, and because its online, you have time to learn about each topic they raise and refute every single point they make.also, since its online, its anonymous. you can do this often to get good at your arguments. then when you feel confident youve heard all the stupid little catchphrases creationists use, you can challenge someone face to face. dont only learn the science portion though,cuz many of them dont care.research the mistakes in the bible, like how noah's ark wasnt even possible, and the rediculous laws like if a man raoes a virgin, she has to marry him. one thing that i like to use is i say, you want me to prove the bible isnt true? you can see the stars at night, right? they reply of course. i ask them to stop and think about that for a second. then i ask them to tell me how far away are the stars. they say lightyears. i ask how about the farthest ones we can see? millions and billions of light years they say. (its important to get them to say these things, dont just tell them all this. they can ignore what you say, its harder if it comes from their own mouth) then i ask them if they know what a lightyear is. some know, some dont. regardless, we get to the definition that a lightyear is the distance light travels in one year. then i say, so, if something is one light year away, that means the light from the star were looking at left that star about a year ago. they say of course. then i reply with, well then, how long ago would you say the light from (i usually use a few specific galaxies or stars here but i dont have my list with me) started traveling towards us? they either dont answer or start changing the subject. you won! from there you can point out they didnt answer, or tell them not to change the subject, and ask them why they wont answer.ask them how they deal with this,that the fact we can see the stars proves that the young earth theory is nonsense
12-09-2011, 03:57 PM

Hello everyone.

Based on certain evidence, I assume that you have high enough observation skills to know that my name is in fact Mark. Wait, why did I make some words bold? Oh right, those words are one (or three) of the reasons that I am an atheist. Why should I believe that an invisible old man in the sky created everything, and then needed a rib to create a woman? Jeez, if I were Eve, I'd be really offended that God thought the entire universe was easier to create than her. Is he calling her fat? SNAP. And she's apparently stupid and/or took too much LSD as well, 'cause she apparently received an apple from a talking snake.

Anyway, I got off track... Why should I believe in all of the above, when I could believe in something that is physical? That's how I reason.

And now, for some more personal information...
I'm 16 and I live in Sweden, and as I said, my name is Mark. I always try my best to not sound arrogant towards Christians, but I like to fight fire with fire. I've never believed in God, but I only just recently started considering myself an atheist.

That's pretty much it, I'm sure I'll like it here, I can only hope you all will like me here, as I tend to have rather "loud" opinions, although that does not mean I type in all caps.
Thread Closed