Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
08-08-2015, 05:02 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(08-08-2015 02:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 02:28 PM)Mrs.B Wrote:  
'K.....I'll do that.....thanks!

There is a list somewhere but I can't find it.
Gold - Seth Andrews
Green - Admins - Stark Raving and Momsurroundedbyboys
Purple - Super moderator - Deep Thought - he's our computer guru
Pinkish Purple - Moderators - Dom, DLJ, Vosur, Tartarus Sauce (I think that's all)
Rainbow names - Former staff
Red - those who have made monetary contributions to or purchases from TTA
Blue, light and dark - all others
Orange - Earmuffs - it's a long story
There is also a weird color for people who have been bad and are kind of on probation. Under their names it says they have been naughty.

I am sure if I missed something it will be pointed out.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this. I like explanations, so I don't keep wondering why I can't change something.
Find all posts by this user
08-08-2015, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2015 09:38 PM by DLJ.)
Hi, my name is Rebecca and I'm actually pretty new to atheism.

For a very good chunk of my life, I have been a Christian ( and a creationist at that ). But I suppose growing up surrounded by Christian relatives and Christian curriculum will do that to you.

I fed into young earth theories, dragons being dinosaurs, all that jive. Yet even at a young age, I still had this sneaking doubt about God, especially when I started serious Bible studies.

The first clue were some Bible stories, particularly the story about Abraham sacrificing his own son to appease God. I was taken aback by that, but I reasoned that God tested Abraham for a perfectly logical purpose and if I read the Bible more, I would have more faith. I was wrong.

Every year passing, I found more issues in the Bible, whether that'd be contradictions in the text or God's relentless wrath. I still hung onto my belief, but more out of fear of being condemned to hell than actual love. I would pray every single night, but I was never really sure if the prayers did anything, I wasn't sure if I was pleasing God with my nightly ritual or if I thought of Him enough for it to be considered as worship. I didn't understand why He and His followers condemned gays. I didn't see anything wrong with them, so why did God? Was I evil for disagreeing with my creator?

Finally a few months ago, after reading up on issues with the Bible and discovery of Youtubers such as the Bible Reloaded and Armoured Skeptic, I did something I found crazy...I stopped praying. Of course I was slightly worried that night that God would smite me in my sleep. But when morning came, I was perfectly fine, and why wouldn't I be?

I'm sure some people would be devastated with the realization that God probably doesn't exist. I can honestly say I was relieved, I was free at last from what kept me from enjoying life to the fullest. So that's my story.

I'm sorry about this wall of text, but I'm just elated to be able to get this off my chest. Smile There is nobody in my life that I can discuss my atheism with, so I hope this can be a positive outlet to share my ideas.

My story is probably typical, but I guess that's something I share in common with many people on this site. XD

[Image: spore_creature___placerias_png_by_tote_m...7onlgm.png]" Placerias tastes amazing. " --- Me
[+] 4 users Like IntrovertedPostosuchus's post
08-08-2015, 09:44 PM
(08-08-2015 09:30 PM)IntrovertedPostosuchus Wrote:  Hi, my name is Rebecca and I'm actually pretty new to atheism.

For a very good chunk of my life, I have been a Christian ( and a creationist at that ). But I suppose growing up surrounded by Christian relatives and Christian curriculum will do that to you.

I fed into young earth theories, dragons being dinosaurs, all that jive. Yet even at a young age, I still had this sneaking doubt about God, especially when I started serious Bible studies.

The first clue were some Bible stories, particularly the story about Abraham sacrificing his own son to appease God. I was taken aback by that, but I reasoned that God tested Abraham for a perfectly logical purpose and if I read the Bible more, I would have more faith. I was wrong.

Every year passing, I found more issues in the Bible, whether that'd be contradictions in the text or God's relentless wrath. I still hung onto my belief, but more out of fear of being condemned to hell than actual love. I would pray every single night, but I was never really sure if the prayers did anything, I wasn't sure if I was pleasing God with my nightly ritual or if I thought of Him enough for it to be considered as worship. I didn't understand why He and His followers condemned gays. I didn't see anything wrong with them, so why did God? Was I evil for disagreeing with my creator?

Finally a few months ago, after reading up on issues with the Bible and discovery of Youtubers such as the Bible Reloaded and Armoured Skeptic, I did something I found crazy...I stopped praying. Of course I was slightly worried that night that God would smite me in my sleep. But when morning came, I was perfectly fine, and why wouldn't I be?

I'm sure some people would be devastated with the realization that God probably doesn't exist. I can honestly say I was relieved, I was free at last from what kept me from enjoying life to the fullest. So that's my story.

I'm sorry about this wall of text, but I'm just elated to be able to get this off my chest. Smile There is nobody in my life that I can discuss my atheism with, so I hope this can be a positive outlet to share my ideas.

My story is probably typical, but I guess that's something I share in common with many people on this site. XD

Welcome! Feel free to discuss anything you need to Smile plenty of people here will listen and do the best they can to help answer any questions you have.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
08-08-2015, 10:27 PM
(08-08-2015 09:30 PM)IntrovertedPostosuchus Wrote:  I'm sorry about this wall of text, but I'm just elated to be able to get this off my chest. Smile There is nobody in my life that I can discuss my atheism with, so I hope this can be a positive outlet to share my ideas.

Rebecca, you'd probably better get used to being called IP, or Post... if you can stand being named after a place in Texas! (I was born in the southern tip of Texas, though I rarely admit it, and we moved away just after my 4th birthday.)

Yes, many of us have some version of that story in our own histories, so you're in good company. Welcome to the forum!

And I didn't know Postosuchus was an introvert. Might explain why it died out, being not a good characteristic for an apex predator. You really need to meet a lot of new people if you're going to eat them, I figure. (Sorry, I'm a former biologist... that's a little paleontology humor.) We had a few Triassic formations in central Kansas where I did much of my field biology research, and a really good little museum in Hays, KS, called the Sternberg Museum of Natural History. Worth a checking-out, if you're ever up that way.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
08-08-2015, 10:45 PM
(08-08-2015 10:27 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 09:30 PM)IntrovertedPostosuchus Wrote:  I'm sorry about this wall of text, but I'm just elated to be able to get this off my chest. Smile There is nobody in my life that I can discuss my atheism with, so I hope this can be a positive outlet to share my ideas.

Rebecca, you'd probably better get used to being called IP, or Post... if you can stand being named after a place in Texas! (I was born in the southern tip of Texas, though I rarely admit it, and we moved away just after my 4th birthday.)

Yes, many of us have some version of that story in our own histories, so you're in good company. Welcome to the forum!

And I didn't know Postosuchus was an introvert. Might explain why it died out, being not a good characteristic for an apex predator. You really need to meet a lot of new people if you're going to eat them, I figure. (Sorry, I'm a former biologist... that's a little paleontology humor.) We had a few Triassic formations in central Kansas where I did much of my field biology research, and a really good little museum in Hays, KS, called the Sternberg Museum of Natural History. Worth a checking-out, if you're ever up that way.

I appreciate Mesozoic themed jokes, so you're in good company ( I hate the taste of human flesh anyway, primates are way too gamey ). I would love to see the SMNH, have you ever been to the Museum of the Rockies here in Montana? We have an impressive fossil collection from the Cretaceous period.

Irrelevant questions, did your biology degree contribute your Master's in rocket surgery? Do rockets need anesthetic before operation? What it like having literally the most difficult job in existence?

[Image: spore_creature___placerias_png_by_tote_m...7onlgm.png]" Placerias tastes amazing. " --- Me
[+] 3 users Like IntrovertedPostosuchus's post
08-08-2015, 10:49 PM
(08-08-2015 09:30 PM)IntrovertedPostosuchus Wrote:  Hi, my name is Rebecca and I'm actually pretty new to atheism.

Nice to meet you! Shy
[+] 1 user Likes Mrs.B's post
08-08-2015, 10:54 PM
(08-08-2015 10:45 PM)IntrovertedPostosuchus Wrote:  I appreciate Mesozoic themed jokes, so you're in good company ( I hate the taste of human flesh anyway, primates are way too gamey ). I would love to see the SMNH, have you ever been to the Museum of the Rockies here in Montana? We have an impressive fossil collection from the Cretaceous period.

Irrelevant questions, did your biology degree contribute your Master's in rocket surgery? Do rockets need anesthetic before operation? What it like having literally the most difficult job in existence?

Actually, most of the Kansas fossils (mainly sea creatures, but with a pretty good pterosaur collection as well) are Cretaceous, owing to the inland sea that covered most of it before the Rockies pushed the state upward on its west side and poured out all the water. I have only been to Montana once, on a cross-country motorcycle trip, and sadly we did not stop at any museums. I will add it to my list, next time my crew and I go up to Sturgis, as a good day-trip. Thanks for the tip! Smile

My "rocket surgeon" name is a joke based on the term "crotch rockets", a motorcycle term, referring to my new career as a custom bike designer/builder, turning a longstanding hobby into my primary income.

I come from a long line of engineers, and my original major was indeed Aerospace Engineering, but an illness put the brakes on my career path at the USAF Academy, and when I re-entered school at a civilian university, I studied biology so I could learn what was going wrong with my body... turned out I loved fieldwork far more than labwork, so I became an environmental scientist/field biologist for the KS Department of Health & Environment.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
08-08-2015, 10:57 PM
(08-08-2015 10:54 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 10:45 PM)IntrovertedPostosuchus Wrote:  I appreciate Mesozoic themed jokes, so you're in good company ( I hate the taste of human flesh anyway, primates are way too gamey ). I would love to see the SMNH, have you ever been to the Museum of the Rockies here in Montana? We have an impressive fossil collection from the Cretaceous period.

Actually, most of the Kansas fossils (mainly sea creatures, but with a pretty good pterosaur collection as well) are Cretaceous, owing to the inland sea that covered most of it before the Rockies pushed the state upward on its west side and poured out all the water. I have only been to Montana once, on a cross-country motorcycle trip, and sadly we did not stop at any museums. I will add it to my list, next time my crew and I go up to Sturgis, as a good day-trip. Thanks for the tip! Smile

My "rocket surgeon" name is a joke based on the term "crotch rockets", a motorcycle term referring to my new career as a custom bike designer/builder, turning a longstanding hobby into my primary income.

I come from a long line of engineers, and my original major was indeed Aerospace Engineering, but an illness put the brakes on my career path at the USAF Academy, and when I re-entered school at a civilian university, I studied biology so I could learn what was going wrong with my body... turned out I loved fieldwork far more than labwork, so I became an environmental scientist/field biologist for the KS Department of Health & Environment.

Customizing motorcycles is a very cool hobby. I'm fairly artistic, so I draw quite a bit.

I'm sorry about your illness.

09-08-2015, 09:29 AM
Welcome IP!
09-08-2015, 09:40 AM
(09-08-2015 09:29 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Welcome IP!

Happy to be here! ^_^

[+] 1 user Likes IntrovertedPostosuchus's post
Thread Closed