Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
13-08-2015, 08:01 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(13-08-2015 02:45 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Hello everyone!

I am a theist, and I'm also a recently-returned-to-college student majoring in physics. I hope to teach physics in a high school in the future, so I suspect that the topics on this forum will help me gain a healthy perspective about viewpoints that differ from my own.

Welcome Aliza!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
13-08-2015, 08:07 PM
(13-08-2015 07:51 PM)magic matt Wrote:  Hello, my name is matt, and I'm 25 and currently an agnostic "light worker" Which is a hard sell to most people LoL. I normally just keep it to basic conversation about alternative perspectives for almost everything. As you could imagine with a mind like mine its hard to find a religion at all that would allow me such liberal speech.

As for what I mean about "light worker" I'm more of one to recommend someone see a doctor about that. Rather than "use magic" hence "agnostic" And I have PDDNOS with a lot of medical conditions so I know my way around medical sites to find out what is wrong with me. I believe that life expectancy has gotten so long that we will all become mentally ill in some way before full on senility hits. But don't worry. Most of it is temporary. As for PDDNOS most people don't notice it now that I'm 25. And PDDNOS basically ends at age 50. And the common man has common ailments that require a doctors attention. Such as depression when a loved one passes. I guess you could say I have a medical personality without a GED. But don't think you can trick me into giving bad advice. I know my way around disclaimers.

Hi Matt! Thanks for sharing your story. Heart Welcome to TTA Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
13-08-2015, 08:28 PM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2015 08:48 PM by Fireball.)

I am a theist, and I'm also a recently-returned-to-college student majoring in physics. I hope to teach physics in a high school in the future, so I suspect that the topics on this forum will help me gain a healthy perspective about viewpoints that differ from my own.

Hi! I have a BSc in Physics (and part way to an MS in Electro-Physics), and taught Physics, Geometry and Pre-Calculus for a couple of years, back in the '90s, at the High School (Grades 9 - 12) level. Study lots of Physics, of course, but depending on your University requirements, I would also recommend Induction and the Scientific Method (s/b required, but wasn't for me), and Symbolic Logic (also, s/b required, but also wasn't, for me). I also worked in industry for 30 years, so I may be able to shed some light on applications that you can educate your students with.

Yes, you will see some different viewpoints! This forum seems to be not-too-virulent to believers, as long as they act reasonably. I'm new as a registered member, but did lurk for awhile.

BTW, I taught at a private school, so a credential was not required. Where do you plan to teach; secular or otherwise?
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
13-08-2015, 08:52 PM
(13-08-2015 07:51 PM)magic matt Wrote:  Hello, my name is matt, and I'm 25 and currently an agnostic "light worker" Which is a hard sell to most people LoL. I normally just keep it to basic conversation about alternative perspectives for almost everything. As you could imagine with a mind like mine its hard to find a religion at all that would allow me such liberal speech.

As for what I mean about "light worker" I'm more of one to recommend someone see a doctor about that. Rather than "use magic" hence "agnostic" And I have PDDNOS with a lot of medical conditions so I know my way around medical sites to find out what is wrong with me. I believe that life expectancy has gotten so long that we will all become mentally ill in some way before full on senility hits. But don't worry. Most of it is temporary. As for PDDNOS most people don't notice it now that I'm 25. And PDDNOS basically ends at age 50. And the common man has common ailments that require a doctors attention. Such as depression when a loved one passes. I guess you could say I have a medical personality without a GED. But don't think you can trick me into giving bad advice. I know my way around disclaimers.

MK, I'm just an older scientifically trained kind of guy, and I've had a couple of brewskis, so please explain to me what a PDDNOS is/are. TIA. Smile
13-08-2015, 10:04 PM
(13-08-2015 08:28 PM)Fireball Wrote:  

Hi! I have a BSc in Physics (and part way to an MS in Electro-Physics), and taught Physics, Geometry and Pre-Calculus for a couple of years, back in the '90s, at the High School (Grades 9 - 12) level. Study lots of Physics, of course, but depending on your University requirements, I would also recommend Induction and the Scientific Method (s/b required, but wasn't for me), and Symbolic Logic (also, s/b required, but also wasn't, for me). I also worked in industry for 30 years, so I may be able to shed some light on applications that you can educate your students with.

Yes, you will see some different viewpoints! This forum seems to be not-too-virulent to believers, as long as they act reasonably. I'm new as a registered member, but did lurk for awhile.

BTW, I taught at a private school, so a credential was not required. Where do you plan to teach; secular or otherwise?

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome. I’m in the Florida university system right now. I don’t know if the classes you recommended are a part of my degree requirements, though I’ve never been one to shy away from taking classes above and beyond the “required curriculum.” I’d be willing to teach in either the secular or the religious sector provided that the curriculum sticks to science as the driving principle and not religion. I’d go so far as to admit that I’d even enjoy the challenge of teaching science to a religious student body. I maintain that it’s the religion’s responsibility to adhere to science and not the other way around.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
14-08-2015, 10:15 AM
(13-08-2015 10:04 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 08:28 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Hi! I have a BSc in Physics (and part way to an MS in Electro-Physics), and taught Physics, Geometry and Pre-Calculus for a couple of years, back in the '90s, at the High School (Grades 9 - 12) level. Study lots of Physics, of course, but depending on your University requirements, I would also recommend Induction and the Scientific Method (s/b required, but wasn't for me), and Symbolic Logic (also, s/b required, but also wasn't, for me). I also worked in industry for 30 years, so I may be able to shed some light on applications that you can educate your students with.

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome. I’m in the Florida university system right now. I don’t know if the classes you recommended are a part of my degree requirements, though I’ve never been one to shy away from taking classes above and beyond the “required curriculum.” I’d be willing to teach in either the secular or the religious sector provided that the curriculum sticks to science as the driving principle and not religion. I’d go so far as to admit that I’d even enjoy the challenge of teaching science to a religious student body. I maintain that it’s the religion’s responsibility to adhere to science and not the other way around.

Even the RCC has finally acknowledged that Galileo was right. I hear that their schools are actually pretty good, but one of my son's friends got an incredibly poor sex ed. I went to public schools, myself. I like that you expect religion to conform to science. That is indeed how it should be as far as I am concerned as well. Lots of people disagree, unfortunately.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
16-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Hello all,

I'm a refugee from the American Bible Belt living in the Pacific Northwest. I'm a 40 year old lifelong atheist. I'm generally not much of a joiner, but I like what Seth has created here and I thought I'd actually join a conversation once in a while.
[+] 3 users Like Cascadian Hunger's post
16-08-2015, 03:51 PM
(16-08-2015 12:47 PM)Cascadian Hunger Wrote:  Hello all,

I'm a refugee from the American Bible Belt living in the Pacific Northwest. I'm a 40 year old lifelong atheist. I'm generally not much of a joiner, but I like what Seth has created here and I thought I'd actually join a conversation once in a while.

Welcome!

17-08-2015, 01:39 AM
Hey, guys! I'm from Moldova(Eastern Europe). I'm fairly new to discussion forums, I've had more experience with gaming ones, though - I play DotA, it's a popular mod derived from a video game, an RPG called Warcraft - maybe some of you have heard about it. Anyway, I've been on one other forum for a couple of months now and decided to also search for other forums just so I could see if I liked it better somewhere else or even just frequent more atheism related sites (like these two) at once, rather than just settle on a single one.

I know of Seth Andrews podcasts - I've listened to them a couple of times, and I think I heard he had a forum too, but I never before decided to join it, even though I have lurked a bit here on past occasions. By the way, what's the deal, is he active in any way on these forums? -- Just curious, not that it would necessarily influence whether I stay and for how long.

What else should I tell you about me? I've basically learned english on my own - at least I definitely learned it more on my own than at school, by watching countless Tv-shows, reading books and whatnot as a teenager. I haven't had much of a chance to speak it in real life, except this one time I lived in Vienna for a month, went to school there and didn't know the german language, so I had to make do with my "Friends"-acquired english skills =D. What about you guys? Are the most of you day-to-day real life english speakers, or what? Just curious.

What else is there(scratches head)? Well I just finished highschool and hope to go somewhere nice for "college". Currently the plan is to go in Austria for a year(yeah, again) so I could intensively learn the language while at the same time study from abroad, enrolled as I will be from a home university - but that's just so I'll have something to show to where I'll apply one year from now. You see, universities in my own country - not so good. In fact, there's nothing good of anything here, basically. It's the shittiest country in Europe, but hey, don't let me complain too much. It is what it is.

Hmm. Also in this country of mine the majority(like 99% for sure) are religious, mostly orthodox Christians. Being an atheist here sure is some of the more exotic things to be, though I haven't had too many problems because of it. So that's me, sorry for the long post and for the disorganised thoughts. I lack sleep at the moment - that's my official excuse for it. ;P
[+] 3 users Like excitedpenguin's post
17-08-2015, 01:40 AM
Welcome to our community. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
Thread Closed