Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
17-08-2015, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2015 09:34 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Welcome, Penguin! Cool name.

Most of us are native English-speakers, and about half of us (self included) are from the USA. But we more than welcome people from other countries! We don't hold you accountable for not speaking English well, if we know it's not your first language, so it might be a good idea to edit your profile and add a "signature" line that says it's not your first, so it will appear at the bottom of every post. (You can see my signature, in green, is a quotation of a famous scientist, also a popular choice.)

Now the bad news: Momsurroundedbyboys is the best of us, so now that you've met her, it's all downhill from here! Tongue

Edit to Add: By the way, your English-speaking skills appear to be better than most Americans', so I wouldn't worry too much.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
17-08-2015, 09:11 AM
(17-08-2015 01:39 AM)excitedpenguin Wrote:  Hey, guys! I'm from Moldova(Eastern Europe). I'm fairly new to discussion forums, I've had more experience with gaming ones, though - I play DotA, it's a popular mod derived from a video game, an RPG called Warcraft - maybe some of you have heard about it. Anyway, I've been on one other forum for a couple of months now and decided to also search for other forums just so I could see if I liked it better somewhere else or even just frequent more atheism related sites (like these two) at once, rather than just settle on a single one.

I know of Seth Andrews podcasts - I've listened to them a couple of times, and I think I heard he had a forum too, but I never before decided to join it, even though I have lurked a bit here on past occasions. By the way, what's the deal, is he active in any way on these forums? -- Just curious, not that it would necessarily influence whether I stay and for how long.

What else should I tell you about me? I've basically learned english on my own - at least I definitely learned it more on my own than at school, by watching countless Tv-shows, reading books and whatnot as a teenager. I haven't had much of a chance to speak it in real life, except this one time I lived in Vienna for a month, went to school there and didn't know the german language, so I had to make do with my "Friends"-acquired english skills =D. What about you guys? Are the most of you day-to-day real life english speakers, or what? Just curious.

What else is there(scratches head)? Well I just finished highschool and hope to go somewhere nice for "college". Currently the plan is to go in Austria for a year(yeah, again) so I could intensively learn the language while at the same time study from abroad, enrolled as I will be from a home university - but that's just so I'll have something to show to where I'll apply one year from now. You see, universities in my own country - not so good. In fact, there's nothing good of anything here, basically. It's the shittiest country in Europe, but hey, don't let me complain too much. It is what it is.

Hmm. Also in this country of mine the majority(like 99% for sure) are religious, mostly orthodox Christians. Being an atheist here sure is some of the more exotic things to be, though I haven't had too many problems because of it. So that's me, sorry for the long post and for the disorganised thoughts. I lack sleep at the moment - that's my official excuse for it. ;P

Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
17-08-2015, 11:16 AM
Scottish atheist. Father of 2 atheist children
[+] 2 users Like smersh's post
17-08-2015, 11:58 AM
(17-08-2015 11:16 AM)smersh Wrote:  Scottish atheist. Father of 2 atheist children

Welcome Smersh!
17-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Yes, but is he a True Scotsman? I've been reliably told there are no such things. Or perhaps it was a fallacy.

Welcome, Smersh!

And congrats on having two heathen youngsters. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
17-08-2015, 04:13 PM
I am a former Christian minister(5 years in Ministry). I once was a student of Apologetics from Liberty University. However, my inquisitive mind led me to study the counter-apologetics...and their arguments won. It took me a year of struggle but eventually I outed myself as an atheist. Those around me and family were shocked by my announcement. Supposedly, I went from the "smartest guy they knew" to being a brainless atheist without a clue- LOL!
I am now a 100% disabled Army veteran and am mostly bedridden. However, I spend a lot of my time sharing Freethought and Counter-Apologetics on Facebook. Yes, I find the occasional Christian warning me of Hell fire...but after I start asking them questions they go away. I am just happy that the TTA is going strong and I hope the best for seth Andrews and all those involved in the podcast.

-Best wishes to all.
Jonathan E. Kiser
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like JEKinTX's post
17-08-2015, 04:39 PM
(17-08-2015 04:13 PM)JEKinTX Wrote:  I am a former Christian minister(5 years in Ministry). I once was a student of Apologetics from Liberty University. However, my inquisitive mind led me to study the counter-apologetics...and their arguments won. It took me a year of struggle but eventually I outed myself as an atheist. Those around me and family were shocked by my announcement. Supposedly, I went from the "smartest guy they knew" to being a brainless atheist without a clue- LOL!
I am now a 100% disabled Army veteran and am mostly bedridden. However, I spend a lot of my time sharing Freethought and Counter-Apologetics on Facebook. Yes, I find the occasional Christian warning me of Hell fire...but after I start asking them questions they go away. I am just happy that the TTA is going strong and I hope the best for seth Andrews and all those involved in the podcast.

-Best wishes to all.
Jonathan E. Kiser

Welcome Jonathan!
17-08-2015, 04:42 PM
JEK - Thank you for your service, and your sacrifice. I, too, became an atheist because of apologetics (and then counter-apologetics). My church recognized me as a "young bright mind" and started training me to "defeat" other faiths by attacking the holes in their theology. One day, I turned that weapon on my own beliefs after catching an evangelist preaching lies about physics in the sanctuary, in an anti-evolution rant. So instead, I rejected my faith and became an evolutionary biologist.

Welcome to TTA! You'll fit right in. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
17-08-2015, 10:51 PM
Hi all!

I'm Samantha, a recent college graduate in North Carolina, currently searching for a career in sustainability. I honestly joined TTA, initially, to respond to one forum I came across in a google search that I found particularly interesting. Now that I'm here though, it seems there is a lot more to explore on this site and many fascinating people with which to come into contact. Smile

I consider myself a 6 on the Dawkins atheist scale -- http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/b...-scale.png -- and have since I was a teen. My parents didn't really force any religious beliefs on me, they were generally pretty open minded. My mom is a Unitarian Universalist and my dad is Vedanta (I think.. If he hasn't changed again lol). My late grandma was United Methodist though, so I would spend my summers with her as a child and she would take me to church regularly. So I guess I was a Christian by default, but was thinking skeptically about theism by the time I was 13. She and I used to have some fun debates! I miss her so much.

Anyway, getting sidetracked. The point is, greetings all, I look forward to some great discussion.
[+] 2 users Like bandgeek's post
17-08-2015, 11:23 PM
(17-08-2015 10:51 PM)bandgeek Wrote:  Hi all!

I'm Samantha, a recent college graduate in North Carolina, currently searching for a career in sustainability. I honestly joined TTA, initially, to respond to one forum I came across in a google search that I found particularly interesting. Now that I'm here though, it seems there is a lot more to explore on this site and many fascinating people with which to come into contact. Smile

I consider myself a 6 on the Dawkins atheist scale -- http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/b...-scale.png -- and have since I was a teen. My parents didn't really force any religious beliefs on me, they were generally pretty open minded. My mom is a Unitarian Universalist and my dad is Vedanta (I think.. If he hasn't changed again lol). My late grandma was United Methodist though, so I would spend my summers with her as a child and she would take me to church regularly. So I guess I was a Christian by default, but was thinking skeptically about theism by the time I was 13. She and I used to have some fun debates! I miss her so much.

Anyway, getting sidetracked. The point is, greetings all, I look forward to some great discussion.

Welcome!
Thread Closed