Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
09-09-2015, 05:33 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
hi- I'm Tracy.

I guess I'm here to talk to others who have grown up in a christian home and became atheist later in life.

I'm 23 and I live down south. I grew up going to a southern baptist church and my paternal grandparents have been christian missionaries in South America for 60 years.

Last year, it just hit me. I don't believe in anything I had been told throughout my life. It was really hard to realize that- yet liberating, in a way.

I had my first anxiety attack at 8 years old and I remember church and bible studies always eliciting anxiety from me.

I'm doing well now, but it's hard. I can never tell my grandparents, cousins, aunts, or uncles. My mom loves me and respects my ideas, but she doesn't understand... when I have my anxiety spouts she tells me that prayer helps...

My brother is 20 and is starting seminary school. No one in my family is a free thinker, an analyst, liberal, progressive, or critical of though and understanding, except me. I'm just so different and it is isolating.

I hope to make a friend or two on here, perhaps, or just talk about.

All the best,
t
Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like rubyrow's post
09-09-2015, 11:39 PM
Welcome Tracy Smile
09-09-2015, 11:59 PM
(09-09-2015 05:33 PM)rubyrow Wrote:  hi- I'm Tracy.

Welcome Tracy Smile Come on in, the water's lovely Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-09-2015, 09:59 AM
Hi I'm Andreas.
I remember my childhood in Cyprus as being very devout. Every night I would pray for God to keep my loved ones safe and healthy. Even though I did develop some doubts along the years, this continued more or less the same until I went to college.
The turning point there was being exposed (for the first time in my life) to the Theory of Evolution. Up until then I had never heard of it and it was a real eye-opener, I must say. I started devouring books on the subject, especially on human evolution. Inevitably, I stumbled upon “The Selfish Gene”, by Prof. Richard Dawkins, which was another major turning point.
A few years later I was a committed atheist. I had fervently decided that humanity did not need a god to be able to live harmoniously. We can do that alone (with many ups and downs, of course), simply by being equipped with the feelings and imperatives that our genes provide.
But I spent the next thirty years, or so, in atheistic concealment. I had a job and family – could I afford to make my thoughts public? Of course not, I decided, so I went through the motions of everyday life knowing I was lying to everyone – even myself.
Fortunately, this changed almost 3 years ago when I retired from my job. I decided that all the hiding had to end. So I wrote a book; a fictional book that would expose one of the fundamental problems with the Bible: the Book of Genesis (how it all began). In it (“First Adam”) I describe my own premise on how humanity could have emerged and how the Biblical stories of the Creation, of Adam and Eve, and many other myths, could have evolved from the life-story of this first Man.
[+] 2 users Like Andreas_Economou's post
10-09-2015, 10:35 AM
(10-09-2015 09:59 AM)Andreas_Economou Wrote:  Hi I'm Andreas.
I remember my childhood in Cyprus as being very devout. Every night I would pray for God to keep my loved ones safe and healthy. Even though I did develop some doubts along the years, this continued more or less the same until I went to college.
The turning point there was being exposed (for the first time in my life) to the Theory of Evolution. Up until then I had never heard of it and it was a real eye-opener, I must say. I started devouring books on the subject, especially on human evolution. Inevitably, I stumbled upon “The Selfish Gene”, by Prof. Richard Dawkins, which was another major turning point.
A few years later I was a committed atheist. I had fervently decided that humanity did not need a god to be able to live harmoniously. We can do that alone (with many ups and downs, of course), simply by being equipped with the feelings and imperatives that our genes provide.
But I spent the next thirty years, or so, in atheistic concealment. I had a job and family – could I afford to make my thoughts public? Of course not, I decided, so I went through the motions of everyday life knowing I was lying to everyone – even myself.
Fortunately, this changed almost 3 years ago when I retired from my job. I decided that all the hiding had to end. So I wrote a book; a fictional book that would expose one of the fundamental problems with the Bible: the Book of Genesis (how it all began). In it (“First Adam”) I describe my own premise on how humanity could have emerged and how the Biblical stories of the Creation, of Adam and Eve, and many other myths, could have evolved from the life-story of this first Man.

Welcome!
10-09-2015, 08:11 PM
My walk in Atheism began after my first viewing of Bill Maher's Religulous. I'm a Liberal from Arkansas.
[+] 1 user Likes BillMaherisAwesome's post
10-09-2015, 09:06 PM
(10-09-2015 08:11 PM)BillMaherisAwesome Wrote:  My walk in Atheism began after my first viewing of Bill Maher's Religulous. I'm a Liberal from Arkansas.

Welcome! I love Bill Maher!
11-09-2015, 07:45 AM
(10-09-2015 08:11 PM)BillMaherisAwesome Wrote:  My walk in Atheism began after my first viewing of Bill Maher's Religulous. I'm a Liberal from Arkansas.

Welcome. Religulous is fucking hilarious. I think you will find like-minded irreverent liberals here.
15-09-2015, 07:54 AM
Hi everyone.
My name is Steve. I'm a born and raised New England Yankee now living in the great state (and free state) of Tennessee.
I am a recovered Born again Christian for about 6 years now. I m now a man of science...not superstition. Glad to be with you all.
[+] 1 user Likes Lost the Faith's post
15-09-2015, 08:01 AM
(15-09-2015 07:54 AM)Lost the Faith Wrote:  Hi everyone.
My name is Steve. I'm a born and raised New England Yankee now living in the great state (and free state) of Tennessee.
I am a recovered Born again Christian for about 6 years now. I m now a man of science...not superstition. Glad to be with you all.

Welcome Steve.

What do you mean by "free state"?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Thread Closed