Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
17-09-2015, 01:02 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(17-09-2015 01:01 PM)sean_del_oeste Wrote:  I am a 47 year old male and an apostate.

My background is Roman Catholicism and grew up in a religious household. Although I abandoned Catholicism in my early 20s, I tried several "faiths" until I was in my mid thirties and then finally could no longer reconcile my supernatural beliefs with my experiences.

Abandoning religion was personally difficult and caused great stress to my father who blamed himself for my deconversion.

For several years I closed my mind to anything coming from the mouth of a person espousing religion, however, I have become more tolerant and evaluate each statement on its own rather than judging them based upon a person's "atheist credentials".

Thanks for having such a forum.

Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
17-09-2015, 02:43 PM
Wink RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello
Am just popping in here for now.
17-09-2015, 03:06 PM
(17-09-2015 02:43 PM)Hesso Wrote:  Hello
Am just popping in here for now.

Another one? Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Hello,

I'm a Canadian atheist, skeptic and humanist. I've been interested in the subjects of science and relegion for a few years now, but only discovered The Thinking Atheist a few months ago. I'm an engineer by trade.

Looking forward to some lively discussion on these forums.
[+] 2 users Like RedKingCerberus's post
18-09-2015, 10:14 PM
(18-09-2015 08:55 PM)RedKingCerberus Wrote:  Hello,

I'm a Canadian atheist, skeptic and humanist. I've been interested in the subjects of science and relegion for a few years now, but only discovered The Thinking Atheist a few months ago. I'm an engineer by trade.

Looking forward to some lively discussion on these forums.

Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
22-09-2015, 10:10 PM
Greetings fellow heathens.

I have been an non believer since the great deluge. I am much older than most of you (octogenarian) but I still have some, not all, of my faculties. I'm one of the lucky old dudes who takes no meds, unless you count single malt scotch as a medication. I still go sailing, paddling kayaks, riding bikes, etc. I'm a library hound and avid reader who reads all sorts of stuff, mostly non fiction, heavy into scientific subject matter. I have read many of the heathen books.....Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Steele, Stenger, Avalos, Gable, Feynman, and so on.

In my other life I was a mechanical engineer, and long term business owner in Central Florida.

I have been a member of other forums for several years. WWGHA, Happy Atheist forum. WWGHA is kaput and HAF is down at this time. That prompted me to search around for other kindred spirits. I do not regard this forum as "any port in a storm" so don't presume that this one is regarded as less attractive or interesting.

I do hope that this forum is not characterized by pissing contests, ad hominems, or excessively militant posts. On the other hand I trust that this is not a "goody two shoes" sort of place.

There, that is enough for now.

Happyclam
[+] 1 user Likes Happyclam's post
22-09-2015, 10:58 PM
(22-09-2015 10:10 PM)Happyclam Wrote:  Greetings fellow heathens.

I have been an non believer since the great deluge. I am much older than most of you (octogenarian) but I still have some, not all, of my faculties. I'm one of the lucky old dudes who takes no meds, unless you count single malt scotch as a medication. I still go sailing, paddling kayaks, riding bikes, etc. I'm a library hound and avid reader who reads all sorts of stuff, mostly non fiction, heavy into scientific subject matter. I have read many of the heathen books.....Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Steele, Stenger, Avalos, Gable, Feynman, and so on.

In my other life I was a mechanical engineer, and long term business owner in Central Florida.

I have been a member of other forums for several years. WWGHA, Happy Atheist forum. WWGHA is kaput and HAF is down at this time. That prompted me to search around for other kindred spirits. I do not regard this forum as "any port in a storm" so don't presume that this one is regarded as less attractive or interesting.

I do hope that this forum is not characterized by pissing contests, ad hominems, or excessively militant posts. On the other hand I trust that this is not a "goody two shoes" sort of place.

Happyclam

Welcome!

22-09-2015, 11:11 PM
(22-09-2015 10:10 PM)Happyclam Wrote:  Greetings fellow heathens.

Happyclam

Welcome Smile I'd like to think that we're not *characterized* by pissing contests and the like, but they do happen. Congratulations on being so active and sharp, hope I'm as with it as you when I get to your age Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
23-09-2015, 12:23 PM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2015 12:26 PM by Jerry M.)
Hi – My name is Jerry and I’ve been God free for 7 years. I was raised in a devout Christian household (Conservative Southern Baptist). Not until age 65 did I have my moment of clarity - that moment when I knew beyond all doubt that God did not exist. When growing up, going to church was obligatory; 2x on Sunday, prayer meetings on Wednesday and all other events of the church. However I had questions such as; “What did the lions and tigers eat on the ark” and was told “God closed their mouths” so they didn’t eat the other animals on the ark. “OK – then what did they eat after leaving the ark? Lunch meant the extinction of a species that God had just saved from the flood. I was told to stop questioning God. I thought that even though my parents couldn’t answer my questions that perhaps when I was older I would learn the answers. At church we prayed for some one’s health only to have them die a few weeks later. The minister preached about the “harmony and balance of the universe that could only have been created by God”. That didn’t fit. I knew of exploding stars, quasars, pulsars, whole galaxies crashing into each other. I knew of meteors crashing through the solar system slamming into all planets including earth. Through all this I believed there was a God but that all the details were wrong. My list of questions grew longer. For 65 years I kept this balance of being skeptical of the details but maintained a possible belief that God existed. I cringed when I heard someone deny God’s existence yet I never attempted to challenge the position. It was a subject I refused to discuss or even to think about. Ignorance is bliss.
One day I resolved to find the answers to a long list of questions and I retreated to my man cave to find an answer. What did the animals eat after leaving Noah’s ark? Why, after praying for the sick, did they sometimes die? Why, after praying for safe journey, did Christians have car accidents in the same proportion as non-believers? Why are churches destroyed by fire or storm in the same proportion and taverns? I had only gone this far when I heard a voice (my own mind) declare “There is no God”. I was taken aback by the absolute certainty of the statement.
It was like a thunderclap from the heavens! “There is no God”, the voice repeated; there is no God. In a rush my thoughts continued. Noah’s ark never happened. Christians are not safer on the highways because there is no god to protect them. Christians are not healthier than non-Christians because there is no god to keep them healthy. The universe is not in perfect harmony and balance because it was not created by an omnipotent god. It was a moment of clarity I hadn’t expected but I knew it was true. There is no god. That event was seven years ago and I wonder how I or anyone else could have been so deceived. It all seems so obvious now.
23-09-2015, 12:26 PM
(23-09-2015 12:23 PM)Jerry M Wrote:  Hi – My name is Jerry and I’ve been God free for 7 years. I was raised in a devout Christian household (Conservative Southern Baptist). Not until age 65 did I have my moment of clarity - that moment when I knew beyond all doubt that God did not exist. When growing up, going to church was obligatory; 2x on Sunday, prayer meetings on Wednesday and all other events of the church. However I had questions such as; “What did the lions and tigers eat on the ark” and was told “God closed their mouths” so they didn’t eat the other animals on the ark. “OK – then what did they eat after leaving the ark? Lunch meant the extinction of a species that God had just saved from the flood. I was told to stop questioning God. I thought that even though my parents couldn’t answer my questions that perhaps when I was older I would learn the answers. At church we prayed for some one’s health only to have them die a few weeks later. The minister preached about the “harmony and balance of the universe that could only have been created by God”. That didn’t fit. I knew of exploding stars, quasars, pulsars, whole galaxies crashing into each other. I knew of meteors crashing through the solar system slamming into all planets including earth. Through all this I believed there was a God but that all the details were wrong. My list of questions grew longer. For 65 years I kept this balance of being skeptical of the details but maintained a possible belief that God existed. I cringed when I heard someone deny God’s existence yet I never attempted to challenge the position. It was a subject I refused to discuss or even to think about. Ignorance is bliss.
One day I resolved to find the answers to a long list of questions and I retreated to my man cave to find an answer. What did the animals eat after leaving Noah’s ark? Why, after praying for the sick, did they sometimes die? Why, after praying for safe journey, did Christians have car accidents in the same proportion as non-believers? Why are churches destroyed by fire or storm in the same proportion and taverns? I had only gone this far when I heard a voice (my own mind) declare “There is no God”. I was taken aback by the absolute certainty of the statement.
It was like a thunderclap from the heavens! “There is no God”, the voice repeated; there is no God. In a rush my thoughts continued. Noah’s ark never happened. Christians are not safer on the highways because there is no god to protect them. Christians are not healthier than non-Christians because there is no god to keep them healthy. The universe is not in perfect harmony and balance because it was not created by an omnipotent god. It was a moment of clarity I hadn’t expected but I knew it was true. There is no god. That event was seven years ago and I wonder how I or anyone else could have been so deceived. It all seems so obvious now.

Welcome!

Thread Closed