Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
30-09-2015, 03:56 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(30-09-2015 02:34 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Hello. I'm Mike. Originally from California, now in Texas (but on vacation in Florida right now). Been an atheist since I can remember. Can't remember a time in my life where I believed in god. I remember being in church as a small child and not feeling anything. It all seemed so phony from as far back as my memories go. Is it possible to be born an atheist? Haha, guess I was. I look forward to talking to everyone.

Most people here are ex-believers of one sort or another. My story matches yours; I was dragged to church as a kid but never gave it much thought and don't remember ever actually believing any of it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
30-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Smile RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello, My name is Bonnie and I am a 22 yr old atheist from the US living in Seattle. I've just begun getting involved in the Seattle Atheists and Seattle Skeptics, and while it's really nice getting to know some like-minded folks, I haven't met anyone near my age. I am studying psychology in order to become a therapist or social worker. I also have a history of substance-abuse, and am really hoping to work towards mainstreaming some secular recovery programs. The 12-step model is a religious program (that claims it isn't) and it simply is not a scientific approach to treating substance abuse issues. If anyone on here is interested in helping to grow the secular recovery community, please message me!
[+] 1 user Likes Bonnieh's post
30-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Hello All, I am a new Atheist! I was a Christian (Fundamental Baptist) for 24 or so years until I took my Jesus glasses off and read the bible for once with out telling myself that it was Gods word. I approached it as one should, I simply read it as a book and to my surprise there are some messed up stories in there No. I had read them before but just never allowed myself to question "Gods" word. Anyway what started it all was when I was watching YouTube and seen a short clip of George Carlin making fun of Christianity. I'm not sure why but something clicked and I started questioning my beliefs. Well,[/font][/size] long story short that started me to THINKING and has lead to a FREEDOM that I would trade for nothing! A big Thank you to Seth Andrews, Arron Ra, Matt Dillahunty for all the material and resources you put out there!! It has helped free me from the bonds of being a Fundamental Christian.. I am free to live and love all people equally and no longer look at my fellow man as depraved or lost. I don't care what Born again believers say, they do put themselves on a mountain and look down at everyone else! No more for me, you can keep your fairy tales I will take reality! Glad to be apart of this community and I am looking for to learning from you all!
[+] 3 users Like Maximus's post
30-09-2015, 09:28 PM
Welcome everyone new! Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
30-09-2015, 11:41 PM
Welcome all.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
02-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi everyone,

I´m a 52 year old mexican male from Monterrey and living in Mexico City since 5 years ago.

Born and raised Catholic, with several priests and nuns in my direct family, I have been agnostic for decades and just a couple of months ago found out I identify with Secular Humanism.

I´m slowly starting to come out. My Mom & Bro are on-board, as well as a handful of friends. The huge challenge will be how and when with my very devout, and also very sick, wife. She has fibromialgia and it´s hard to find good moments to have important conversations. We have two children, 13 and 9, who are also into religion. This is the only, but very worrysome, part of coming out.

I´ve listened to many episodes of the podcast, from the beggining to summer of 2013, and all 2015. Sandwish approach to catching-up. Seen many videos and read several books, including De-Converted and Sacred Cows. GREAT STUFF!

My atheist circle is minimal, so joining your community sounds like an awesome opportunity!

Enrique
[+] 1 user Likes Tuzamex's post
03-10-2015, 01:40 AM
Hi guys! My name is Angela Larae, I prefer Larae. I'm 21 from Texas. I grew up in a religious family, did all the family religious activities and events, the usual religious things; but the thing is, I don't really believe I ever actually believed in a "God". I always had questions, doubts and thoerys about it all. It just all seemed like bullcrap to me , but I went with it while I was young because I guess I thought it was normal?? I don't know. My first real, forever wondering thought was the fact that supposedly wrote the bible, the "legacy" of mankind, some odd thousands of years ago. I always wondered " A man that supposedly was guided by this almighty wrote this book, basicly a story, and presented it to the world and said this is how it happened , this is our legacy and our profecy.." and people actually went with it.. And until this day, people still go with it even though it's been revised and rewritten over and over. Even though the one who wrote it wasn't even there when it all happened, and the ones who preached and still do, weren't there. And the more younread it and hear it and the more time passes , it just sounds more and more unrealistic.. I couldnt stand church, or when people referred to the Holy Bible or made comments "what would Jesus do? " , "God wouldnt like that" , "leave it to God and everything will be ok". Then I got this theory, (it's insane but funny) , that we were an experiment and were trapped inside a biodome type structure.. Lol I know I just had to know, I knew there was a logical and more realistic explaination. That's when science came into my life, 5th grade. We didn't do major science experiments , but to me it was more than just a grade or a test, it was the beginning of learning how things worked, how they functioned, the answers were slowly coming to me.. Then I learned of the evolution and what it actually ment instead of the short story my schools taught. The time lines and information just didn't add up with the mess everyone was brainwashed with, and it made perfect sense. Now there is ssoooooo much more to it; space. stars. astroids. galaxies. gravity. planets. solar systems. More than ONE solar systems. The universe and all it's elements. And how it all works together to make all this work. The more I learn, the more excited I get. It overwhelms me. It's the most exciting and only thing in my life that keeps me sane. "Without God you have nothing", well I say to you "I have the universe and the endless possibilities it possesses. More than any God or goddess could offer."

My family knows, my fiance is starting to understand. More than I imagined. I haven't fully came out yet, but most people that know me get the hint. Some look at me like I'm insane, but in reality ITS REALITY. endless proof and evidence. I'm not saying that all the legends and myth didnt have some sort of existence or roll in life but it's not how it was believed. Now that I know all about science and it's reactions, it all makes sense on how things could've been mislead. But now I know and don't feel so empty or let down.

But mostly, I'm eager to learn more as it's studied and discovered. I'm not sure how everyone feels about extraterrestrials aka Aliens, but I obsess over knowing. And wonder if there are more elements and ways of physics that we know of. With the universe , anything is possible. And I want to know it all. It consumes me so much I forget about all the religious annoyance and constant denial that very much irriates me. It so much more than that.. This life is so much more than being imprisioned in a sickening and sad mind frame. I'm over it. Whatever helps them sleep at night. Lol anyways , if you like to conversate about all I've mentioned , message me.

Also, technology is my second favorite interest. My conversations are endless and open minded. Give it a go!

-lost amongst the stars;
[+] 1 user Likes lost.amongstthestars's post
05-10-2015, 05:23 PM
Hi, I'm WarGoddess, obviously. I am HouseofCantor's sister and I always see him running his neck on these forums, so I figured I'd come see what kind of trouble he is causing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like WarGoddess's post
05-10-2015, 05:55 PM
(05-10-2015 05:23 PM)WarGoddess Wrote:  Hi, I'm WarGoddess, obviously. I am HouseofCantor's sister

You have our deepest sympathy.

Hug

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
05-10-2015, 08:19 PM
(05-10-2015 05:23 PM)WarGoddess Wrote:  Hi, I'm WarGoddess, obviously. I am HouseofCantor's sister and I always see him running his neck on these forums, so I figured I'd come see what kind of trouble he is causing.

Welcome! Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
Thread Closed