Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
07-10-2015, 10:09 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I've already waded in, but I'll say hey here.
About me:
Never had any faith. I grew up in one of those non-christian households, and my first exposure to believers were some really nutty neighbors, followed quickly by a fundie grandma who was mean. Mom moved her into a trailer on the farm with her 4th hubby. In a way it provided a great education about religion to a young lad.
I was introduced to the concept of "fire insurance". I witnessed grandma sending money to televangelists frequently. Dad called that buying "fire insurance" Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
08-10-2015, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 09:02 AM by Suzykw.)
Hi everyone.

I just recently, In August became an atheist. I didn't grow up religious, my parents were not religious at all. When I was about 15 my sister started going to our neighborhood, southern baptist church, and when I was almost 17 I started going. I was in a very vulnerable place back then, our childhood basically sucked and I was a very broken girl. So of course, I was easily indoctrinated. My pastor and his wife became second parents to me and they did help me to heal a lot and for that, I will hold a special place in my heart for them.

I went to that church for a few years and then after some church drama (imagine that) went to another, my last church was more evangelical in the sense of people speaking in tongues, slaying in the spirit, that sort of thing. That was around the time I really started doubting my beliefs. Shortly after that church I moved and haven't belonged to one since.. it's been about 14 years.

I still believed in God, Jesus... all that. But I never felt that peace and certainty that they all claim to have with being "saved" I never stopped fearing death, and hell.. what if I didn't believe exactly right? It terrified me.

During my time of "back sliding" as it was called by my now religious parents, who had started going to church about a year after I did. Anyway, during that time, I was also struggling with my sexuality. I had been struggling with it for years, but I well ignored it. I didn't want to be attracted to girls, it made me ashamed.. after all, I had been told Sunday after Sunday that it was unnatural, an abomination, God hates gays.. so of course I ignored it.. until I no longer could.

Fast forward years later, lots of space put between myself and those ideas, leaves lots of room for truth to reveal itself. Being out of the bible belt certainly didn't hurt. I still didn't pay much attention to my doubts until a few months ago and I finally one day saw a youtube video. I don't remember what I was searching for, but a video of Jaclynglenn's came up talking about debunking Christianity. I remember it making me so angry, but I couldn't figure out why. A few days later, i was still thinking about it and so made myself just watch it.

It made way too much sense. And thus my reading and researching finally began. Everything just fell into place. I remember having a moment of "It's all lies.. all of it.. " My now boyfriend of 4 years (clearly not gay, pansexual hehe) he's an atheist, but we've never, until recently, really discussed religion. I finally asked him why he was an atheist, and also asked a friend of mine the same question. And then I did more reading, more researching. I have lost count how many of Seth's podcasts I have listened to, along with some of the other youtubers.

On August 28, I finally said the words. "I do not believe that there is a god" And since that day, it's like a fog has lifted. I'm still going through the process of getting rid of all of that old teaching. But for the most part I feel great. I feel a confidence that I have never felt before, the kind that can only come from truth.

I am still in the closet as far as my family goes, and my deeper theist friends, I'm just not ready yet. But I'm so thankful that I have my boyfriend and a dear friend for support.

With that, I'm done rambling. I can't wait to meet some more like minded folks. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Suzykw's post
08-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Welcome to all!
08-10-2015, 06:52 PM
Hi newbies. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
08-10-2015, 07:03 PM
(02-10-2015 03:12 PM)Tuzamex Wrote:  Hi everyone,

I´m a 52 year old mexican male from Monterrey and living in Mexico City since 5 years ago.

Born and raised Catholic, with several priests and nuns in my direct family, I have been agnostic for decades and just a couple of months ago found out I identify with Secular Humanism.

I´m slowly starting to come out. My Mom & Bro are on-board, as well as a handful of friends. The huge challenge will be how and when with my very devout, and also very sick, wife. She has fibromialgia and it´s hard to find good moments to have important conversations. We have two children, 13 and 9, who are also into religion. This is the only, but very worrysome, part of coming out.

I´ve listened to many episodes of the podcast, from the beggining to summer of 2013, and all 2015. Sandwish approach to catching-up. Seen many videos and read several books, including De-Converted and Sacred Cows. GREAT STUFF!

My atheist circle is minimal, so joining your community sounds like an awesome opportunity!

Enrique

You are very welcome here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-10-2015, 09:23 PM
Thanks Smile

It's easier to fool people, than to convenience them that they have been fooled. --Mark Twain
10-10-2015, 07:18 PM
Hi everyone.

I was raised fundamentalist Christian, but for the past year my certainty in my beliefs has wavered considerably. I still have responsibilities in my local church and haven't formally left Christianity, but I've started to realize some of the problems, both logical and moral, with the claims that fundamentalist Christians make in their truth claims.

One of my biggest problems with Christian apologetics is their chronic misunderstanding of the other side's viewpoint, especially when it comes to Creationist apologetics and the scientific theories they quite clumsily call into question. For this reason, I've decided to join this forum in an attempt to converse with atheists who can accurately convey and defend the viewpoints of atheists and methodological naturalism, which I'm assuming is a philosophy that many on this forum adhere to.
[+] 3 users Like FrozenSea's post
11-10-2015, 12:27 AM
(10-10-2015 07:18 PM)FrozenSea Wrote:  I've decided to join this forum in an attempt to converse with atheists who can accurately convey and defend the viewpoints of atheists and methodological naturalism, which I'm assuming is a philosophy that many on this forum adhere to.

Make thread
???
Prophet

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-10-2015, 01:11 AM
(11-10-2015 12:27 AM)morondog Wrote:  Make thread
???
Prophet

Hi Morondog! Welcome to the site!

I hope you enjoy your stay.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
11-10-2015, 09:54 AM
Hello. I'm here looking for a sense of community that find nonexistent in my life. I live in the Bible Belt, so that's no real surprise.

I've lurked these forums off and on for a couple of years and should have joined sooner.
[+] 2 users Like wizardofthevoid's post
Thread Closed