Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
22-09-2011, 05:50 PM

RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I am an ex-protestant-penticostal-evangelist-fundamentalist-assemblies_of_god-christian.

Both of my parents were missionaries in their younger days, so I've more than been given an introduction to the religious perspective, I lived it for twenty years.
After that I found myself somewhat dissatisfied with the doctrine I had been taught, and took what I thought was the best road. I began to study, and to get out into the world to meet people from other walks of life.

This resulted in a radical shift of perspective from my home schooled upbringing which led rather unceremoniously to my declaring myself an agnostic as I could not get philosophically past a few points even at 22:

1 - The problem of evil.
2 - The problem of unequal opportunity for salvation.
3 - The problem of hypocrisy.
4 - The problem of the GOTOT's immoral acts.
5 - The problem of scientific/historical inconsistency with biblical timelines and 'facts'.
6 - The problem of the lack of evidence.

At the time I still held enough fear of death instilled from my early years that I posited that there must be another plane, some sort of supernatural trick to save us from death.

It was a good eight years before I encountered the work of Hitchens, Dawkins, Russel, Kant, etc. which lead me to a proper understanding of the four way chart (agnostic theist, gnostic theist, agnostic atheist, gnostic atheist) at which point I had to declare myself at the least an agnostic atheist toward all gods, and a gnostic atheist toward those god concepts which were self contradicting, which usually puts me only one god shy of a theist anyway.

Anyway, nice to meet all of you. Smile
25-09-2011, 02:11 PM

Hello everyone, I'm Kristijan ( = Christian, but now only by name Big Grin), 24, from Dubrovnik, Croatia and a recovering roman catholic! Up until recently, I was a very devout Christian, prayed constantly, attended every service in the local church... Felt shivers of euphoria run down my spine each time a priest blessed "the body of Christ" because I was conviced I'm about to eat his flesh (cannibalism didn't bother me at all then)...

But, a few years back I broke loose from the chains of indoctrination, brainwashing and close-mindedness, I've embraced "the dark side" (not just because of the cookies, hehe), and now I'm free!
25-09-2011, 09:07 PM

I was raised in a KKK Baptist Christian home, I was born a hermaphrodite, NOT INTERSEXED, I also have a mild form of (XP)Sun allergy and grew up as a girl till I was 5. Then I was forced to have surgery to become a boy. From 6 or so till my young teens I was beaten and raped, belittled and degraded because I was a product of the devil. In my teens I started to change, my female parts started to grow, and I found myself running away time and time again from my family. But I was always forced back. I meet a black friend in school, and my family found out, I was raped for it and they tried to make me burn a cross in his yard.
They had there own version of the bible the "White Holy Book".
I was taught that men had sex with women and not men with men, but my male cousin would rape me. (go figure) Blacks, women and Jew's should be slaves, and it was OK to Rape and beat women.
Anyway, I was forced to have sex and have babies with women and fathered my first 2 kids at 14, with my 2nd half step-sister by marriage. My mother was in a wheelchair and my step father was blind, so for the most part I was raised by my family. In total I have 6 living children and I had MY OWN miscarriage. I lost all of my kids in 3 court issues where I was deemed unfit due to my gender issues. I have seizers and memory issues short and long term. Although I do not have any degrees I've studied religions of the world and found none of them to my liking. I was always taught that Atheists were satanists, and never thought about them. I never look into it. In my fight to find out, why I was, the way that I was, I found that no religion wanted me, as I was a product of the devil, I thought "I Don't want to be an Atheist" (Little did I know) till I found a doctor that told me about Chimera DNA, learning about that from the doctor, I came up with the idea on my own, of how evolution worked. (Not exactly right but it was close.) I am sure I heard of it somewhere before, but was never told the details, and I damn near figured it out on my own. At some point I fell into the "Alex Jones" CRAP and all most lost it again. After a few years I found thunderf00t and he opened my eyes.
I am now 32 and my life is cool, I am a woman, I am an atheist, I live-aboard a boat, I love life, I have put most of my fears away, and I go out with my friends sometimes. I even climb mountains, love to hike and camp. That about sums it up. There’s a lot more but just ask me and I’ll tell you. Oh and I only have a 3rd grade level education in general studies. So I can say, “IF I CAN DO IT, SO CAN YOU”. There are ways, and we are all here to help.
26-09-2011, 01:21 PM
[Image: face-surprise.png]

Holy hell. Your story is one of the craziest stories I have ever heard. Like holy hell.
It could be a movie, you should write it into a screenplay and try to sell it, I bet you someone bites. Be rich, roll in money, you could have a tower like scrooge mcduck and swim in it, though best not to use coins because I'm pretty sure that would not only be very hard to swim in, but may also be heavy enough, once in, to kill you. Wouldn't that suck? I'm rich and swimming in my own money and now... squish.

Anyhow, glad you are here valerytozer. And all the others up above.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-09-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm a 28 yr old mother of two from Canada. I recently discovered that I'm an atheist. I'm looking for a community of like minded people to talk to and discuss life with out having god thrown at me at every opportunity.
Find all posts by this user
26-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Greetings!

Sorry about Tokyo.

My coming out video:

26-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Hello I'm an atheist and a skeptic. I used to be Catholic when i was young. I'm a fan of video games, movies, and a select few TV shows(namely Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, etc). Ive been subbed to the you tube channel and listening to the podcasts for a long time. I enjoy posting on forums when i have nothing else to do so this seemed like a good idea.
Find all posts by this user
27-09-2011, 04:16 AM

(12-09-2011 07:07 AM)aarontheman Wrote:  
(09-09-2011 12:29 AM)Shane Wrote:  Hello everyone,

My name is Shane. I am a graduate student at a university in southern California. I am studying history. I have been an atheist for quite some time. My friends and family know, and for the most part, they are alright with it.

I am generally rather reserved about my lack of religious beliefs. I don't like to tell people, especially if I barely know them because I am afraid of verbal attacks by believers. Today, I accidentally came out as an atheist in public during class. Somehow the topic of religion came up in discussion and a friend of mine said "Don't get my started on atheism, it's such a religion." For some reason it struck a chord and I replied saying "I'm sorry, I greatly disagree because I am an atheist."

I tried to make a point saying that is a lack of a belief in God and that their is no faith in atheism. My discussion group wouldn't have any of it though as they said it takes faith to come to believe in the theories of science, because they are only theories. They won the argument because 1) I didn't know what to say and 2) it wasn't really the topic of the class discussion (which was the historical theory of Marxism). Sadly, this means I lost a debate to a group of believers and I feel like I let the atheistic community down. I'll admit, I was slightly offended too.

So, that is why I finally decided to join an atheist forum. I need to learn the "ins and outs" of atheistic debates. I have read a lot of atheist literature, and I have had calm discussions with open-minded believers, but never anything where I felt I had to actually defend my non-belief.

Secondly, I hope to talk and meet some like minded people because I don't really have any friends who are atheists.

great for you, im a sophmore at a southern military colleges and my hometown is deeply religious, so i know what its like. but one thing that helped me to learn to debate better,was online debating.like some forum where theres a bunch of religious people talking about god, then id post a comment like god is a character made up by stone age desert people and see what happens.that way you can get pretty much every argument thrown at you.youll be able to see them all, and because its online, you have time to learn about each topic they raise and refute every single point they make.also, since its online, its anonymous. you can do this often to get good at your arguments. then when you feel confident youve heard all the stupid little catchphrases creationists use, you can challenge someone face to face. dont only learn the science portion though,cuz many of them dont care.research the mistakes in the bible, like how noah's ark wasnt even possible, and the rediculous laws like if a man raoes a virgin, she has to marry him. one thing that i like to use is i say, you want me to prove the bible isnt true? you can see the stars at night, right? they reply of course. i ask them to stop and think about that for a second. then i ask them to tell me how far away are the stars. they say lightyears. i ask how about the farthest ones we can see? millions and billions of light years they say. (its important to get them to say these things, dont just tell them all this. they can ignore what you say, its harder if it comes from their own mouth) then i ask them if they know what a lightyear is. some know, some dont. regardless, we get to the definition that a lightyear is the distance light travels in one year. then i say, so, if something is one light year away, that means the light from the star were looking at left that star about a year ago. they say of course. then i reply with, well then, how long ago would you say the light from (i usually use a few specific galaxies or stars here but i dont have my list with me) started traveling towards us? they either dont answer or start changing the subject. you won! from there you can point out they didnt answer, or tell them not to change the subject, and ask them why they wont answer.ask them how they deal with this,that the fact we can see the stars proves that the young earth theory is nonsense

Thank you for your response, Aaron. I think you raise some good points. I really do need to memorize particular passages of religious texts for debate and I will remember that star/galaxy bit for the Young Earth Creationists.
27-09-2011, 04:31 AM
I'm Gawdzilla. Hung out at RDF until they expelled the Feral OT crowd.

My coming out video:

27-09-2011, 11:08 AM

Argyle Yes, well, the same background here, if you get my drift.
Thread Closed