Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
11-10-2015, 01:45 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Eyooo, hi, fellow thinking atheists. I just deconverted last week (though it was building up for years) after being a non-denom Christian apparently since I was 4. I won't be able to come out for a while (years) until I can get out of here so I've updated all my passwords, added new ones and lengthened old ones and I'm finally ready to join the online atheist community.

You won't believe how much trouble I had trying to pick a username. "HowCanItBe" was too ambiguous, "Wretch" too prone to drama and "Heavenspiss" a tad lacking in class. I don't know what else to say, I'm an accounting major? It's interesting but noooo match for space and evolution and basically all the science I never took an interest in because there was always a lingering thought of "scientists are all godlessly wrong". sigh, idek. But anyway, I'm reading the Magic of Reality right now and the Doppler effect is so cool.

“The voice of Love seemed to call to me, but it was a wrong number.”
― P.G. Wodehouse
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dopple's post
11-10-2015, 02:26 PM
Welcome newbies! Smile
11-10-2015, 07:56 PM
Hello,

I found this site whilst looking for insights on the claim that god is unknowable.. I was reared in a sect and this excuse for lack of evidence was presented on forum where current and ex sect members meet.

Thank you for adding me. I consider religiosity to be a scourge!

Regards,
[+] 2 users Like Joanna's post
11-10-2015, 10:51 PM
(11-10-2015 07:56 PM)Joanna Wrote:  Hello,

I found this site whilst looking for insights on the claim that god is unknowable.. I was reared in a sect and this excuse for lack of evidence was presented on forum where current and ex sect members meet.

Thank you for adding me. I consider religiosity to be a scourge!

Regards,

Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-10-2015, 11:50 PM
(06-10-2015 04:55 PM)HumanistBabe Wrote:  Hi all,

I first heard of Seth and TTA by listening to an interview of him on an AHA Humanist Hour podcast. I had just stumbled onto them, and was somehow shocked to hear other people who think the same way I do. Smile I am incredibly encouraged to hear and see these complicated issues being fleshed out in a humanist/atheist light.

I was born a fourth-generation Oneness Apostolic/Pentecostal (a long-haired skirt girl), and I escaped from that religion and community at the age of 17. That particular doctrine was passed through my maternal line, and I have zero contact with my mother at this point. (I'm 25 now, and do have a somewhat-relationship with my maternal grandmother.) From 17 to around 22, I lived my life with blinders on where religion was concerned. When I finally began to find solid ground for my own core beliefs and morals, I became more comfortable with both reaching out and speaking out.

I have also come to terms with the fact that some facets of my upbringing just can't be resolved, and proselytizing is one of them. I was indoctrinated to 'save the world,' and that drive is definitely still there. The only difference is now I'm working to do it in a different way. I came to this forum because at the moment my only medium of expressing these feelings is Facebook - where half or more of my friends are Apo/Pent and another fourth don't know/don't care about my background and why these issues are so important to me.

I'm really looking forward to reading and discussing. Heavy on my heart at the moment are the long-lasting psychological effects of extreme religion on children. I'm trying to really think through all the various ways I was emotionally manipulated and therefore harmed as a child and young adult, and the way that those items are still influencing my life today. From my perspective, it is borderline child abuse.

Whew, sorry for the book. I'll go back to lurking now Smile
Welcome to TTA.
Don't lurk, be an active participant. Make the forum a happier place in your own way. TTA forum wouldn't be great if we all just lurked.
Also, you're making me feel strangely violated Tongue
.And what is this " Oneness Apostolic/Pentecostal " you speak of?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
12-10-2015, 11:53 PM
(07-10-2015 08:42 PM)KatelynJ Wrote:  Hello, my name is Katelyn, but I usually go by Katie. I am a bit of a late bloomer, I started in a softer approach calling myself agnostic around 2 years ago. I eventually came to the conclusion that I should identify as an atheist given made more sense. I didn't drop the agnostic part. I recently picked up listening to The Thinking Atheist podcasts on youtube and decided I would like to join this community to be around more like minds. You see I am a single atheist in a family full of Christians, same with many of my friends as well. I am sure this is fairly common, so I imagine many can empathize. Luckily I can say that thus far nobody has turned their backs on me, but I often get challenged and then told to stop trying to change their beliefs when they don't like the answer I give. Plenty of "weapons grade facepalms" in my life. Anyway glad to be here and hope I am a good fit.
WelcomE to TTA. I hope you have a pleasant stay in our lawn. Also, you may not know it, but it's acceptable to feed the trolls here, so please feel free to do so.

12-10-2015, 11:55 PM
(07-10-2015 10:09 PM)skyking Wrote:  I've already waded in, but I'll say hey here.
About me:
Never had any faith. I grew up in one of those non-christian households, and my first exposure to believers were some really nutty neighbors, followed quickly by a fundie grandma who was mean. Mom moved her into a trailer on the farm with her 4th hubby. In a way it provided a great education about religion to a young lad.
I was introduced to the concept of "fire insurance". I witnessed grandma sending money to televangelists frequently. Dad called that buying "fire insurance" Big Grin
Welcome motherfucker, have a pleasant stay.

12-10-2015, 11:57 PM
(08-10-2015 06:35 PM)Suzykw Wrote:  Hi everyone.

I just recently, In August became an atheist. I didn't grow up religious, my parents were not religious at all. When I was about 15 my sister started going to our neighborhood, southern baptist church, and when I was almost 17 I started going. I was in a very vulnerable place back then, our childhood basically sucked and I was a very broken girl. So of course, I was easily indoctrinated. My pastor and his wife became second parents to me and they did help me to heal a lot and for that, I will hold a special place in my heart for them.

I went to that church for a few years and then after some church drama (imagine that) went to another, my last church was more evangelical in the sense of people speaking in tongues, slaying in the spirit, that sort of thing. That was around the time I really started doubting my beliefs. Shortly after that church I moved and haven't belonged to one since.. it's been about 14 years.

I still believed in God, Jesus... all that. But I never felt that peace and certainty that they all claim to have with being "saved" I never stopped fearing death, and hell.. what if I didn't believe exactly right? It terrified me.

During my time of "back sliding" as it was called by my now religious parents, who had started going to church about a year after I did. Anyway, during that time, I was also struggling with my sexuality. I had been struggling with it for years, but I well ignored it. I didn't want to be attracted to girls, it made me ashamed.. after all, I had been told Sunday after Sunday that it was unnatural, an abomination, God hates gays.. so of course I ignored it.. until I no longer could.

Fast forward years later, lots of space put between myself and those ideas, leaves lots of room for truth to reveal itself. Being out of the bible belt certainly didn't hurt. I still didn't pay much attention to my doubts until a few months ago and I finally one day saw a youtube video. I don't remember what I was searching for, but a video of Jaclynglenn's came up talking about debunking Christianity. I remember it making me so angry, but I couldn't figure out why. A few days later, i was still thinking about it and so made myself just watch it.

It made way too much sense. And thus my reading and researching finally began. Everything just fell into place. I remember having a moment of "It's all lies.. all of it.. " My now boyfriend of 4 years (clearly not gay, pansexual hehe) he's an atheist, but we've never, until recently, really discussed religion. I finally asked him why he was an atheist, and also asked a friend of mine the same question. And then I did more reading, more researching. I have lost count how many of Seth's podcasts I have listened to, along with some of the other youtubers.

On August 28, I finally said the words. "I do not believe that there is a god" And since that day, it's like a fog has lifted. I'm still going through the process of getting rid of all of that old teaching. But for the most part I feel great. I feel a confidence that I have never felt before, the kind that can only come from truth.

I am still in the closet as far as my family goes, and my deeper theist friends, I'm just not ready yet. But I'm so thankful that I have my boyfriend and a dear friend for support.

With that, I'm done rambling. I can't wait to meet some more like minded folks. Smile
TL;DR welcome to the forum

12-10-2015, 11:57 PM
(12-10-2015 11:55 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 10:09 PM)skyking Wrote:  I've already waded in, but I'll say hey here.
About me:
Never had any faith. I grew up in one of those non-christian households, and my first exposure to believers were some really nutty neighbors, followed quickly by a fundie grandma who was mean. Mom moved her into a trailer on the farm with her 4th hubby. In a way it provided a great education about religion to a young lad.
I was introduced to the concept of "fire insurance". I witnessed grandma sending money to televangelists frequently. Dad called that buying "fire insurance" Big Grin
Welcome motherfucker, have a pleasant stay.

Laugh out load Politeness is not a lost art.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-10-2015, 11:59 PM
(11-10-2015 09:54 AM)wizardofthevoid Wrote:  Hello. I'm here looking for a sense of community that find nonexistent in my life. I live in the Bible Belt, so that's no real surprise.

I've lurked these forums off and on for a couple of years and should have joined sooner.
Welcome. I ain't Bob

Thread Closed