Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
17-10-2011, 06:12 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi,

I'm Mad, a 25 year old guy from Dunedin, New Zealand. Just for future reference, Mad Prophet and variations on it has been my online avatar name for a long time, so long in fact that a fair number of my friends call me Mad. I originally derived it from my idea of Jesus being a "mad prophet", in that if he tried it nowadays he'd be put in the psychiatric ward.

When I was wee I believed in a God of some sort, but I grew out of that in short order. My parents raised me in as neutral a way as possible with regards to religion, however my family as a whole is very atheistic.

I'm keen to discuss all sorts of things with you guys, so I look forward to getting involved in the community here Smile

I'm quite keen on Facebook too as a means to keep in touch, so if anyone really feels like that much punishment let me know and I can add you haha.

"Sin, young man, is when you treat people as things" - Granny Weatherwax in Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett.
Find all posts by this user
17-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Hey.

Well, i think it's entirely fitting that I am 42 years old and I have spent almost this entire year reading Dawkins, Sagan, Feynman, et al. I got booted from the Baha'i Faith nearly 20 years ago for being both too gay and too inquisitive when it came to matters of faith. Guess that's what happens when a person starts an "independent investigation of the truth".

Atheism is a non-prophet organisation. Cool
[+] 2 users Like Saimmaq's post
18-10-2011, 10:53 PM
(17-10-2011 09:04 PM)Saimmaq Wrote:  Hey.

Well, i think it's entirely fitting that I am 42 years old and I have spent almost this entire year reading Dawkins, Sagan, Feynman, et al. I got booted from the Baha'i Faith nearly 20 years ago for being both too gay and too inquisitive when it came to matters of faith. Guess that's what happens when a person starts an "independent investigation of the truth".

Welcome to the forum!

I'm curious about your handle. Would it be from a native North American language, by any chance?

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
19-10-2011, 12:40 PM
(18-10-2011 10:53 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Welcome to the forum!

I'm curious about your handle. Would it be from a native North American language, by any chance?

It would indeed. It means "I am content" in Inuktitut.

19-10-2011, 12:47 PM
(19-10-2011 12:40 PM)Saimmaq Wrote:  

Very cool. If you don't mind my asking, are you a speaker of the language?

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
19-10-2011, 02:11 PM
(19-10-2011 12:47 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(19-10-2011 12:40 PM)Saimmaq Wrote:  

Very cool. If you don't mind my asking, are you a speaker of the language?

Not fluently by any means. But working on it!

[+] 1 user Likes Saimmaq's post
19-10-2011, 10:37 PM

I'm a 33 year old atheist. I've always had questions about god and was brought up luthern. Answers were always very general. About 4 years ago I went on a Christian men's retreat with my brother. I was actively looking for god and guidance. All the answers I got that weekend were the same as the ones from my child hood. So I kept looking, science & religion are kinda intertwined & I kept coming across scientific articles that actually answered questions. I was like wow!! This shit is real! My search for god lead me to science which guided me to atheism. Thank you scientific world.
19-10-2011, 11:42 PM

Hi. I just arrived here as a member. I was here a few weeks ago lurking in the forum. I thought it would be rude if I didn't introduce myself.

I'm from a town not far east of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
20-10-2011, 12:37 AM

Greetings!

I am a Christian Bible Scholar and Apologetic (Defender of the Faith).

Grace, mercy, and peace be yours in abundance to all of Gods elect in the world.

I would love to take an opportunity in the future to respond to some of the issues you have pointed out regarding the legitimacy of the Bible as Gods Word, however this is simply an introduction and when more time allows I will respond in the appropriate forum regarding the alleged contradictions along with some misconceptions concerning Gods judicial nature.

Again, this is my first post and just an introduction. I do not hold a seminary degree. I do not hold any allegience to any particular theologian and agree with doctrine that is only consistent with Gods Word.
20-10-2011, 12:37 AM
Hi all Smile

I'm Dave. Um... I've been an atheist for a while. I have several friends who are strongly Christian though and have picked up an enduring interest in what constitutes truth and reasonable belief - which is why I've been reading your forums lots recently Smile

Yay Smile - D.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
Thread Closed