Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
22-10-2011, 11:30 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello everyone. My name is Rob, and I'm a newly de-converted atheist. I work as a database analyst at a data marketing company here in Florida.

I was raised a Christian and during my teens and early adult life I really threw myself at my faith. I had gone to public schools so I fortunately had some exposure to evolution and had a basic understanding of evolution and natural selection, but not a true appreciation for science. I can clearly remember in high school and shortly after listening to Ken Ham and Kent Hovind tapes with my father and wishing I could believe some of the stuff they were saying. Rather than allowing that to highlight the absurdity of my faith, I put that discussion out of my mind (and decided I believed in either a "mature universe" creation or a God-directed evolution). I didn't really think about it again until long after I'd moved out of my father's house. After some troubling and frustrating Christian encounters I began to doubt the importance of going to church frequently.

I then met my wife, who is an atheist, and over the past 6 years we have had a number of conversations where we talked about morality, life, the role of women in the Bible, and the church. During this time I began to allow myself to look critically at the Bible. It wasn't until recently, within the last year, that I realized that I could no longer call myself a Christian. I thought for a long time what that meant and why. Then I began to seriously think about evolution and how it really impacts the Biblical stories, Adam and Eve, the original sin, etc. After a short period of calling myself an agnostic, realized that I was no longer afraid to call myself what I am, an atheist. I no longer believe that there is a god and that no longer scares me.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
22-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Sorry for the double-post... should have read the forum rules first. Blush
26-10-2011, 07:48 AM
I’m Karl, I live in New Zealand and have struggled to believe anything without some at least theoretical evidence all my life, well, as far back as I can remember anyway…
I have a 19 year old daughter whom is a staunch Atheist, verging on militant…
And my lovely wife who thinks “it’s arse, but why get so ratty about it?”
I tend to get a little, well, lets say cold, when someone starts on the “you should believe because…” and I thought I may be able to find a nicer way to let them know I’m not interested here.
Not that I’m likely to favour it over busting into laughter and using terms like “magic sky wizard” or “Santa for grownups” but every now and then I like to be nice.
It’s good to try new things.

I’m worried about the state of the world where ones belief can halt medical science, or science in general, that could help so many others and/or teach us so much about who we are and the universe we live in.
Not to mention the tens of thousands who suffer or die for some myth.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Karl's post
26-10-2011, 11:23 AM
(22-10-2011 02:46 PM)kineo Wrote:  Sorry for the double-post... should have read the forum rules first. Blush

No worries Rob, all fixed up.

.....(at least you read the rules. Most don't it seems)......

So many cats, so few good recipes.
26-10-2011, 06:41 PM
(26-10-2011 11:23 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(22-10-2011 02:46 PM)kineo Wrote:  Sorry for the double-post... should have read the forum rules first. Blush

No worries Rob, all fixed up.

.....(at least you read the rules. Most don't it seems)......

Awesome, thanks!
27-10-2011, 09:20 AM

Hello.
After you see my display name, you may assume my sex.
Well bro, I am a female
I'm not sure how to really introduce myself, so don't laugh. T_T
.. Laugh & I will castrate you with my bare hands. ^-^
Hmf. Well, I am bisexual. A freak-a-zoid gamer. Agnostic "daughter" of a bitch. I don't know why my teachers try to teach me things, I want to kill zombies when I grow up. Enjoys long walks in a graveyard, surrounded by people that I love.. [dead bodies].
You may refer to me as a freak, but bitch I'm just me. (:
PM me. You won't regret it. o^-^o
[+] 1 user Likes calmyourtitsbro's post
27-10-2011, 10:01 AM
(27-10-2011 09:20 AM)calmyourtitsbro Wrote:  Hello.
After you see my display name, you may assume my sex.
Well bro, I am a female
I'm not sure how to really introduce myself, so don't laugh. T_T
.. Laugh & I will castrate you with my bare hands. ^-^
Hmf. Well, I am bisexual. A freak-a-zoid gamer. Agnostic "daughter" of a bitch. I don't know why my teachers try to teach me things, I want to kill zombies when I grow up. Enjoys long walks in a graveyard, surrounded by people that I love.. [dead bodies].
You may refer to me as a freak, but bitch I'm just me. (:
PM me. You won't regret it. o^-^o

Bloody Hell! You know how to make an entrance to a forum Big Grin!

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
27-10-2011, 12:00 PM

I'm 17, from Israel and I live among "Jews".
My parents and their parents lived under a communist regime for about sixty years years in soviet Russia, which lead to them being not religious but they still thought of themselves as Jews. Go figure. I suppose that their repressed religion somehow became their religion, not because they were religious but because they were distinguished from their peers because they were Jews. Because of their ethnicity, not their religion (Important to note, since being a Jew is a pain in the arse... Both an identity, an ethnicity and a religion. I just want to be human).
Basically - I've stopped celebrating holidays and this year was the second year I didn't fast on Yom Kippur. The spaghetti was delicious, thank you for asking.
I'm struggling with my identity, because I AM a Jew, yet I do not believe in the ancient texts of the old Testament or any god. Though I did once think of sacrificing a goat to Baal so that he could help me with my physics exam.
You do realize that these days he has nothing to do so he's free to help, right?
[+] 1 user Likes TheIronRuler's post
27-10-2011, 12:32 PM
(26-10-2011 07:48 AM)Karl Wrote:  I’m Karl, I live in New Zealand and have struggled to believe anything without some at least theoretical evidence all my life, well, as far back as I can remember anyway…
I have a 19 year old daughter whom is a staunch Atheist, verging on militant…
And my lovely wife who thinks “it’s arse, but why get so ratty about it?”
I tend to get a little, well, lets say cold, when someone starts on the “you should believe because…” and I thought I may be able to find a nicer way to let them know I’m not interested here.
Not that I’m likely to favour it over busting into laughter and using terms like “magic sky wizard” or “Santa for grownups” but every now and then I like to be nice.
It’s good to try new things.

I’m worried about the state of the world where ones belief can halt medical science, or science in general, that could help so many others and/or teach us so much about who we are and the universe we live in.
Not to mention the tens of thousands who suffer or die for some myth.

Great to see another Kiwi! Welcome aboard Smile

"Sin, young man, is when you treat people as things" - Granny Weatherwax in Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett.
27-10-2011, 01:19 PM

(27-10-2011 10:01 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  Bloody Hell! You know how to make an entrance to a forum Big Grin!

Thank you, stranger. I appreciate the love. You should PM me. Smile
Thread Closed