Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
15-11-2011, 07:36 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi everyone, I'm Steve and live in Texas. I've been an atheist privately for about 3 years now but have just recently come out to my wife and a select few of my family and friends. I've been listening to TTA podcasts (along with others) as well as ready the forum posts for some time now, but this is my first time to add to it. Just wanted to say hi...so hi!

Steve
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes thinker1171's post
16-11-2011, 09:36 AM

im paul. im a 26 year old painter and tattoo artist. i was a missionary kid, ( i grew up in Venezuela, Colombia and Costa Rica) I spent all my time reading books about dinosaurs and the earth. animlas and stuff. And drawing and painting... been doing that forever. i understood pretty early on that what i was being told about god and the bible was just a story. i calculate that i was atheist at 10 or 11... before that i never really 'liked' their god, but i did think he existed. when i would hear stories about god "stiking people down" for cursing or offending him in the bible, i would secretly go and think of the most horrible fucked up thing i could say to him and then pray a couple times and call him those names. when nothing happened i was not impressed. anyway... since then i have left home and picked up tattooing. mostly in Costa Rica, but like 5 years ago I moved to Maryland and i have been here ever since. i live in Towson with my wife and friend and seven cats. i have always liked the podcast, and i'm bored today, so i figured i would join.
16-11-2011, 09:40 AM
(15-11-2011 06:14 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Welcome to TTA. You're not too far from me, I'm near Manchester.

Love the tattoo by the way Big Grin.

Cheers man! Hey I'm looking to do some skype interviews and discussions about atheism and scepticism I have done a few with a few American people would you be interested in doing it from a British perpective?

Please read my Blog
"A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence"
- David Hume
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-11-2011, 09:42 AM

hey dude.... im a tattoo artist from maryland. i also have a Leviticus 19:28 tattoo. and i give them out for free. tons of people have them. that's pretty cool that someone somewhere else has one. i guess it's just too good of an idea for only one person to come up with it. this is mine (cell phone photo... not a good one)
[Image: oie_2122339uh5AMiYR.png]
16-11-2011, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2011 10:16 AM by kim.)
RE: Lesbian Ex-Mormon Atheist Says Hello
(15-11-2011 07:26 PM)Braveanglo Wrote:  I'm hoping to get in touch with more like minded people here. It would be a comfort.

"Lesbian Ex-Mormon Atheist" - 3 strikes at the gate... you are a brave anglo!! Big Grin

We're a pretty mixed bag here, so I'm sure you have wandered into the right place.
It is good to be free.
Heart Welcome.

(15-11-2011 07:36 PM)thinker1171 Wrote:  Hi everyone, I'm Steve and live in Texas.

Hi Steve - Texas.
I'm in Kansas.
Pretty much says it all, huh?
Undecided For all the open space, people can be pretty narrow.

You'll find the forum is pretty open.

Smile Welcome.

Heart

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
16-11-2011, 10:25 AM

(10-11-2011 07:15 PM)KarinaMoreno Wrote:  HELLO:

My name is Karina Moreno. I'm from Mexico City and a longtime fan of TTA videos. Im a woman, 35 years old, white. What else can I say? My friends always tell me that I am identical to actress Odette Yustman, do you know her?

Please excuse me if my english is not as good as I would like, but there is few atheist forums in spanish. Correction: there are lots, but the members are... I don't know... too mad to be atheists. I think that being an atheist is liberating, you know? Less fear, lees stupid laws ruling your life... so I don`t understand all that mad, angry atheist in those spanish forums.

So I came here in the search for interesting conversations and information about our very very interesting world. Even the religious mythologies are quite interesting. I'm a psychotherapist, so looking and working with how mythological believes influence people's behavior and world-views blows my mind.

So, I hope we can chat and have some fun. I really believe that's the real meaning of life: having fun. Never underestimate the importance of having fun.

Thanks a lot,
Karina.

Karina... yo acabo de unirme a este foro tambien, y queria decirte que no sos la unica que habla español (aunque pueda que seamos solo vos y yo) yo soy 1/2 español y me crei en costa rica, entonces tambien tengo esa perspectiva un poco distinta a a la que tienen los norteamericanos. bueno... yo me voy porque todavia no me dejan publicar nada (creo que tienen que aprobarme antes) pero si el cualquier momento quieres hablar de ateismo o blasfemia en idioma natal, escribeme. ahora estoy viviendo en Maryland y tatuando.. ptwinchell.com es mi sitio.
16-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Paul,

Go here: http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thread-Forum-Rules

Read.

Thanks.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
16-11-2011, 11:50 AM
RE: Lesbian Ex-Mormon Atheist Says Hello
(15-11-2011 07:26 PM)Braveanglo Wrote:  I'm a 29 year old native English teacher in South Korea. Originally from the southern US, born in Tennessee, raised in South Carolina. I an an agnostic atheist with more atheist leanings.

I come from a religious and emotionally abusive background. I was raised Mormon, but my family broke away from the church when I was 15. While my parents shed their Mormon faith they kept their Christian faith. My younger brother and I did not, though it took us years of deprogramming ourselves to come to our current state of atheism. I am also a lesbian. My coming out was traumatic and I had to do it twice for my parents.

The older I get the more unable I am to deal with religious people. The vast majority of my friends are Christians and they enjoy pushing it on me in little ways, especially my Korean friends. My parents grow more religious by the day, my mother saying things like, "Oh, hasn't Jesus given us a wonderful day today?". I told my mother several years ago that I was an atheist, a fact she sacrificed to her delusions. In her moments of anger she remembers it and that's never a good outcome.

However, I try to maintain a positive outlook on all things. I don't like people who constantly negative. I prefer people who are realistic and look for positive solutions to the negative around us. I've traveled a lot and have a wide range of experiences. I'm hoping to get in touch with more like minded people here. It would be a comfort.

Welcome to the forum!

As a former ESL teacher myself, I hope you're enjoying your time in So. Korea. One thing I've always wondered about Korea is why, of all the Asian countries, it's the one that seems to have swallowed Christianity hook line and sinker. It's not that way in Japan or the S.E. Asian countries, and as far as I know not true of the PRC or Taiwan either. But Koreans are fervent (at least the ones I've met here in the States). Do you have any insights as to why?

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
16-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Hello everyone,
New to this site, but not to free-thought. Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Aaron, and I am an active duty U.S. Marine from Seattle, WA. I am looking forward to getting to know you here.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
-Carl Sagan[/size][/font]
16-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Hey everybody, my name is Jules I am a 18 year old german(well, half german, half french actually) college student, working towards a bachelor in biomedical engeneering.
I've been raised in an atheist family, so I believe it is natural I became one to ( , the other way round it's not natural at all, I think Big Grin ).

Also, my english is not as good as I'd like it to be, so please excuse my mistakes.
Rolleyes

There is in every village a torch: the schoolmaster - and an extinguisher: the parson.
-- Victor Hugo
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
-- Blaise Pascal
History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god.
-- Giulian Buzila
Thread Closed