Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
16-11-2011, 01:18 PM

RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(16-11-2011 10:44 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Paul,

Go here: http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thread-Forum-Rules

Read.

Thanks.

yeah... i found that after already having posted 2 or 3 times. sorry dude.
16-11-2011, 01:19 PM
(16-11-2011 01:18 PM)paulesungnomo Wrote:  
(16-11-2011 10:44 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Paul,

Go here: http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thread-Forum-Rules

Read.

Thanks.

yeah... i found that after already having posted 2 or 3 times. sorry dude.

it's cool.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
16-11-2011, 03:32 PM
I am Andrew, 30, and live near St. Louis, MO. I am married and a father of 3 children. I am a Project Manager for a software company.

I was raised in the Lutheran ELCA church (wife Catholic) but moved and joined a Churches of Christ church about 14 months ago. In Feb, 2011 I was re-baptized as an adult in the name of Christ, and officially became a Christian. Angel

Question with boldness even the existence of a God... If it end in a belief that there is no God, you will find incitements to virtue in the comfort and pleasantness you feel in its exercise and in the love of others which it will procure for you. -- Thomas Jefferson - 1787
16-11-2011, 06:43 PM
(16-11-2011 03:32 PM)andrewtn Wrote:  I am Andrew, 30, and live near St. Louis, MO. I am married and a father of 3 children. I am a Project Manager for a software company.

Hi Andrew, I'm in the software field myself.

(16-11-2011 03:32 PM)andrewtn Wrote:  I was raised in the Lutheran ELCA church (wife Catholic) but moved and joined a Churches of Christ church about 14 months ago. In Feb, 2011 I was re-baptized as an adult in the name of Christ, and officially became a Christian. Angel

Wait ... what? Lutherans and Catholics aren't Christians?

#sigh
16-11-2011, 07:19 PM
(16-11-2011 06:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-11-2011 03:32 PM)andrewtn Wrote:  I am Andrew, 30, and live near St. Louis, MO. I am married and a father of 3 children. I am a Project Manager for a software company.

(16-11-2011 03:32 PM)andrewtn Wrote:  I was raised in the Lutheran ELCA church (wife Catholic) but moved and joined a Churches of Christ church about 14 months ago. In Feb, 2011 I was re-baptized as an adult in the name of Christ, and officially became a Christian. Angel

Yeah, come to find out my whole family (parents, grandparents) aren't actually Christians because they were baptized as babies and didn't make the decision to be baptized once they reached the age of reason and also because they weren't fully immersed. That's a no go on being a Christian. Funny, I haven't come out to my parents on the atheism but they'll probably flip out though for some reason they were okay with me attending a church that says they are damned.... okay the Church doesn't actually come out and say it but it is VERY MUCH implied. The good thing is that being part of such a fundementalist church made me take a serious look at Christianity and religion ... something I wouldn't likely have done in the comforts of the liberal ELCA Lutheran church.

Question with boldness even the existence of a God... If it end in a belief that there is no God, you will find incitements to virtue in the comfort and pleasantness you feel in its exercise and in the love of others which it will procure for you. -- Thomas Jefferson - 1787
16-11-2011, 07:36 PM

(16-11-2011 07:19 PM)andrewtn Wrote:  
(16-11-2011 06:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Yeah, come to find out my whole family (parents, grandparents) aren't actually Christians because they were baptized as babies and didn't make the decision to be baptized once they reached the age of reason and also because they weren't fully immersed. That's a no go on being a Christian. Funny, I haven't come out to my parents on the atheism but they'll probably flip out though for some reason they were okay with me attending a church that says they are damned.... okay the Church doesn't actually come out and say it but it is VERY MUCH implied. The good thing is that being part of such a fundementalist church made me take a serious look at Christianity and religion ... something I wouldn't likely have done in the comforts of the liberal ELCA Lutheran church.

so you were baptized 14 months ago... and now your an atheist? that was quick. good for you.
16-11-2011, 07:52 PM
(16-11-2011 07:36 PM)paulesungnomo Wrote:  so you were baptized 14 months ago... and now your an atheist? that was quick. good for you.

No, I was baptized in Feb, 2011 so only about 9 months ago. I think once I grew some balls and took the God glasses off I saw the whole world differently pretty quickly. I never felt the holy spirit and I felt no different at all. That Sunday night I still liked tits, vodka, and all the other shit. They then started having me lead prayers every Sunday whether it be communion, offering, closing, etc. These weren't your standard Lutheran stand up and read a prayer .. no .. this had to be unscripted from the heart shit... God would give you the words when you needed them. What a joke. But the main thing for me is I couldn't get up in front of my friends and family and profess shit from my mouth that I didn't believe. I hated it and it forced me to take a real look at my faith and what I believed. That was May 2011 and here I am. I've read Jonathan Livingston Seagull, God Delusion, and I'm half way through Penn Jillette's 'God, No!'.

16-11-2011, 08:06 PM

ohh ok. yeah... the whole 'holy spirit' thing has never made much sense to me. people talk about it like it's this amazing thing that makes you holy, but i never felt it either. that sucks about having to stand up and 'profess' in open church. the best thing to do is just be honest.... i can't blame you for not wanting to lie to family and friends, i don't know how anyone can maintain any respect for themselves while talking all jesus shit while not believing it... good for you.

yeah i was a missionary kid. hardcore christian parents. even though the indoctrination was pretty harsh by american standards, i wouldn't have had any other childhood. i got to live in costa rica and my parents were so busy spreading nonsense far and wide that they didnt notice i was an atheist by age 9 or 10. im a tattoo artist, painter now. i moved to the states a few years ago and have been horrified by the religiosity of this place ever since. the way my parents talked about the states i thought it was an atheist haven full of debauchery and depravity (i couldnt wait to come here!) but no such luck... anyway im new here as well.
16-11-2011, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2011 09:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-11-2011 07:19 PM)andrewtn Wrote:  Yeah, come to find out my whole family (parents, grandparents) aren't actually Christians because they were baptized as babies and didn't make the decision to be baptized once they reached the age of reason and also because they weren't fully immersed. That's a no go on being a Christian.

We could have some mutual fun here. But it feels like this deserves its own thread. Start one.

#sigh
17-11-2011, 05:03 AM

Hello everyone ^__^

I'm Sophie, I'm 27 and from the UK. I am a 3D artist working in the Animation industry.

I stumbled across the 'After the Rapture' video (which both amused and concerned me, that there are people out there that believe and welcome this concept?) and via a facebook group and have subsequently been following the youtube channel for The Thinking Atheist.

My background is a little hotch-potch but my early childhood consisted of attending various different Christian churches as my Mum attempted to find comfort in the world. There was even a brief period where we were members of the local Latter Day Saints church (Scary). I attended a CoE Boarding School for 7 years which I am relieved to realise had an excellent standard of science teaching and an openness in the way Religious Studies was taught. My journey to Atheism wasn't a sudden revelation, but rather a slow continuous erosion of Faith by questioning things that simply didn't seem to make sense... Perhaps you know what I am talking about ^__^

The realisation has been recent and I am currently going through a phase of information gathering. I really enjoy TTA's light-hearted and understanding point of view, as there are many aggressive, quite angry personalities out there on the internet! I guess the main reason why I have joined this forum is that I sincerely miss the community that tends to accompany religion.

I am happy to be here and just wanted to say hi Tongue If any of you have any sources to recommend I would appreciate the the pointer ^__^
Thread Closed