Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
06-12-2011, 02:51 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(05-12-2011 01:58 PM)insidemyownmind Wrote:  Fair dawn to thee. I want to be the person, that can look at someone & say:
"Yes, I'm making a difference in the world. One poem at a time."
Inspiring those people who have given up, not wanting to be a part of Earth.
This crude, discombobulated world that we were put on to change.
So that every wonderful soul here is aware, I believe in a god, but not Jesus Christ. I'm guessing that would make me agnostic? Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
I was wondering if anyone could help me make a few "friends" -I guess just people that could help me around the site. If that isn't too much to ask. :|

+10000000000 points for using discombobulated in a sentence Smile Smile So happy right now Smile
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
06-12-2011, 05:30 PM
(01-12-2011 09:13 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(30-11-2011 11:34 AM)jakejakelamasabachtani Wrote:  
(24-11-2011 09:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-11-2011 10:03 AM)jakejakelamasabachtani Wrote:  
(23-11-2011 02:57 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Normal guy from the South here.

I'm a converted agnostic to Christian. Don't see much of my kind.

That would be interesting to know what made you convert.. because often Agnostic will go Atheist, not the other way around. Please do elaborate.

Don't know how to explain it. Was driving in my car one day after work, and my whole thought process and belief system suddenly changed. I was an active warrior against Christians; however, without warning, God decided to change me because He had a different plan for me. I quite literally had an instant change that completely altered my life, and I can't explain it.

Well let's see... the brain does play special tricks when a trauma happens, it's a defensive mechanism that have been observed by neurologist for years. If I were to tell you my whole life story, one would ask why am I not a believer. To resume this quickly my mom died when I was 3 years old, leaving me and my little 1 year old sister... I am from one of those countries where orphans children belong to the state and are often hired by drug dealers, the army to become infant-soldier or just dies from malnutrition. I was lucky enough to be adopted at 4, and my sister was adopted with me. Even though my dad was only looking into adopting 1 child, he decided that if there was place for one, there was also place for two.

Now a Christian would come to me saying that god had a plan for me. Well perhaps I would have believed it when I was younger but not anymore. 2 years after my arrival my parent divorced, I was raised in a very small village, people of my skin colour and race could be counted on one hand, therefore I was in a very imbecilic community who had no idea of the external world. For them the norm was to be caucassian and roman catholic. Got baptized at 7 years old in front of my whole school (2000 students). And through the year it was hell living there.

So was that god's plan to make me suffer some more by having me go from one side to another, end up 6 years in foster family, 2 years in the army etc etc. I could blame God and find reconfort in the bible and waiting like million of people do around the planet and wait the sign that will never come. Instead of blaming god and blaming everyone around I decided to use the strengh I have gain from this hard life and apply it to my will to stay alive... this was not a decision from GOD it was my decision... GOD did not send me to the army, my dad did, got did not write my essay in Sociology, I did.

Whatever happens in your life, may be chance, perhaps something else and the reason why you can't explain it is because it is beyound you... but there's so many things that are beyound you right now... and if you were a person of logic and suddenly turn to the magic, this means that you never really did have faith in your own beliefs or logic, therefore you never was totally Agnostic, you were a believer waiting for a sign. And really... this god Dodgy, that god of Yeshua Sad, Moises, Israel... is that to this God you turned yourself too? I raise my eyebrows. But it is your choice. But remember Joan Of Arc, she too was convince that God spoke to her, but in state of delirium tremens and high fever I can guarantee you that anyone will hear voices.

Get back your reason dude... you can believe in a higher power, but a murderer deity like Yaweh I can't believe you turn to that. No offense Wink

No offense taken. I just find it ironic that one of the first things said to me on this forum is "don't preach".

And yet, just in this topic, I've had a couple of people "preaching" to me trying to convince me that my way of thinking is silly. Not really sure how this is any different than the pushy, preachy theists that many of you vilify.
Well I haven't read all your post, as the most interesting one to me was how you got from agnostic theist to theist. I don't believe that Atheist such as myself will even try to preach you guys because if there's something we know for a fact is that you can't change someone's philosophy that easy. There is a long procedures to go through when one decide that he/she won't be a theist anymore.

Coming out as an atheist is just like coming out as a gay person if your family is mostly composed of theist (or as for the gay, composed of heterosexual). If you come to an atheist telling him stuff like; god love you, Jesus loves you, or something like you'll burn in hell if you don't follow god's law... you've just shoot yourself in the foot because atheist for the most do not believe in the god of the bible, Qu'ran, Mormon Tabarnacle, or anything that is as close as Yaweh.

As an atheist and I speak for myself (not all) I seek knowledge, I want to know what the church has been keeping away from us, I want to know about the real deal... I don't want to hear beautiful stories of some being who loves us so much that he came to earth in the form of a human, called himself "son" and killed himself for our sins.

Nobody in church or from a christian denomination has ever been able to respond to any of my question, and I wasn't satified anymore with answers such as "- god works in mysterious ways, so does Aunt gertrude and she's not a diety Big Grin.

I do not believe that Atheists on this board are trying to preach you our ways and philosophy, because at the very end if you don't like what is being said you may take vacation as you please and spend some more time with other theists that will never challenge your beliefs as they have the same beliefs system then yours. And the other reason why we're not preaching it's because we're reasoning (that's a whole lot of difference), if you come and make a statement such as Jesus is the bread of life... well then as a man of science I want to know everything about this bread of yours, is he whole grain or plain, French baguette or jewish twisted bread (I love that bread). And if you find offensive that we'll ask too much question or even comment on some statement you made about that bread of life, this mean that you preach and doesn't allow us to comment. Beside being atheist is not a religion... beside the FSM, who boiled for our sins, atheist is a way of thinking, not a religion.

I know some atheist would try to convince you... but I won't and many in here won't, but if you come with scriptures, be ready to be challenged... it happens (funny enough) that many Atheists do master the art of bible study. We just have a very open mind, and a scientific methodology to decipher errors and misshaps.

There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages.
[+] 2 users Like jakejakelamasabachtani's post
06-12-2011, 05:51 PM
(06-12-2011 05:30 PM)jakejakelamasabachtani Wrote:  "- god works in mysterious ways, so does Aunt gertrude and she's not a diety Big Grin.

I love this one liner!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
06-12-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm Melanie. I'm an 18 year old college student majoring in vocal performance.
07-12-2011, 12:33 AM
(06-12-2011 11:46 PM)Sweetissimo Wrote:  I'm Melanie. I'm an 18 year old college student majoring in vocal performance.

Welcome to the Monkey House. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
07-12-2011, 02:47 AM
Good Morning! My name is Paige, and I'm a 28 year old teacher and military wife. I'm originally from Pensacola, Florida.....just down the street from Kent Hovind's Dinosaur Adventure Land, actually. I attended religious schools most of my life, but the indoctrination never really stuck. I've known since I was 7 that it was all nonsense, but I only started to categorize myself as an atheist in the last couple years. I've still only told 2 people in my inner circle, but I listen daily to a number of different podcasts and am working toward coming out as an atheist. I look forward to becoming a part of this community!
[+] 3 users Like PaigeC's post
07-12-2011, 07:32 AM
(07-12-2011 02:47 AM)PaigeC Wrote:  Good Morning! My name is Paige, and I'm a 28 year old teacher and military wife. I'm originally from Pensacola, Florida.....just down the street from Kent Hovind's Dinosaur Adventure Land, actually. I attended religious schools most of my life, but the indoctrination never really stuck. I've known since I was 7 that it was all nonsense, but I only started to categorize myself as an atheist in the last couple years. I've still only told 2 people in my inner circle, but I listen daily to a number of different podcasts and am working toward coming out as an atheist. I look forward to becoming a part of this community!

Hey Paige and welcome. I wish you the best of luck toward coming out as an atheist. I've been open about my atheism for years now. Apparently my family ignored it since I was gone in the army for so long , they still can't accept it lol. Out of sight, out of mind!

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2011, 08:33 AM
(07-12-2011 02:47 AM)PaigeC Wrote:  Good Morning! My name is Paige, and I'm a 28 year old teacher and military wife. I'm originally from Pensacola, Florida.....just down the street from Kent Hovind's Dinosaur Adventure Land, actually. I attended religious schools most of my life, but the indoctrination never really stuck. I've known since I was 7 that it was all nonsense, but I only started to categorize myself as an atheist in the last couple years. I've still only told 2 people in my inner circle, but I listen daily to a number of different podcasts and am working toward coming out as an atheist. I look forward to becoming a part of this community!

I live in P-cola myself for 22 months in 03 and 04. Corry Station off Navy Blvd.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Hello!

I am a 34 year old living in Seattle. I was born and raised in Arkansas and spent six years in the USAF until I was medically retired after a stint in the middle east. I initially became interested in the atheist community after hearing repeated "no atheist in foxholes" and seeing how atheist were not treated as an equal in our society.

Good to be here!

Todd
07-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Lotta people joining the site. Good deal. Welcome everyone.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Thread Closed