Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
07-12-2011, 05:37 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello I'm a 17 year old swedish atheist/antitheist, I grew up in an atheist home in an atheist country. I'm very interested in religion which most swedes don't share with me, probably 'cause religion is so weak here it's never talked about.
My interest in religion started when I was around 14-15 years old, I watched a lot of videos with Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, they are great sources of inspiration to me, and I've read a few books about religion (including The God Delusion and God is Not Great).

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof Christopher Hitchens

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion Steven Weinberg
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Loathed's post
08-12-2011, 01:12 AM
(07-12-2011 08:33 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(07-12-2011 02:47 AM)PaigeC Wrote:  Good Morning! My name is Paige, and I'm a 28 year old teacher and military wife. I'm originally from Pensacola, Florida.....just down the street from Kent Hovind's Dinosaur Adventure Land, actually. I attended religious schools most of my life, but the indoctrination never really stuck. I've known since I was 7 that it was all nonsense, but I only started to categorize myself as an atheist in the last couple years. I've still only told 2 people in my inner circle, but I listen daily to a number of different podcasts and am working toward coming out as an atheist. I look forward to becoming a part of this community!

I live in P-cola myself for 22 months in 03 and 04. Corry Station off Navy Blvd.

Funny, that after living most of my life in Pcola, surrounded by the NAVY, I'm now living in Germany and married to an ARMY aviator.
08-12-2011, 01:26 AM
My name is Garret. I'm an 18 year old college student. I've been atheist for two years (give or take?) and my family hates it. My dad constantly tells me that "No atheist is good. You can't name one." and ignores me when I start naming some. I could go on forever about him and his ideas (he doesn't believe in evolution and if you present evidence of it to him, he denies it exists. Then he refuses to look it up). My brother is a dick and says "there is no reason not to be christian". Yes people, not "there is no reason not to believe in god(s)" but no reason not to be CHRISTIAN. I always love talking about them. My girlfirend is atheist as well (and her mom has openly called us idiots before) and her family generally doesn't care. However, when I say that, keep in mind that her dad and grandparents don't even know. I've never lied to any of my family about it but I'm pretty sure none of my grandparents know.

So... that's my religious background. Probably too in depth for this forum but I like ranting about the religious forces in my life.
[+] 2 users Like garretj26's post
08-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Hi everyone. I live in Northwest Alabama and yes I'm an atheist. It took me a long time to finally come around to the realization that I just couldn't believe in god anymore. I kept going over the bible stories I learned when i was young and they didn't make any sense.
I even went so far as to try and become reborn in Christ but that didn't work either. When I asked god to come into my heart I felt nothing.
So here I am nearly 61 years old and completely at peace with myself and with what I believe or rather what I no longer believe.
[+] 2 users Like txpete61's post
08-12-2011, 04:31 PM

I think I came here once under some Black Unicorn like name, made a fool of myself or something.

I went through a libertarian period, then visited this forum: http://atheistforums.org/
^Admin there supports this party: http://www.libertarianz.org.nz/policies/disability/
Quote:Most Nanny State parties subscribe to the politically correct ‘society’ model of disability – the idea that disability is caused by attitudinal and physical barriers erected by society. We say, wake up! The reason some people can’t read street signs or climb stairs is because of a medical condition. Disabilities are real physical disorders; blaming ‘society’ and turning people into victims is completely unhelpful. We are not entitled to disability services – other people are not our slaves. We are capable and intelligent; “Nanny state” should stop treating people with disabilities like children and let us get on with the job of standing up to the challenges life has handed us.
I am rather offended that party's positions. Especially as I am dyslexic and have many good Internet friends with other learning disabilities. Their party only gets a few thousand votes...I wonder why being heartless monsters, with unpopular positions that would destroy the country and ruin society wouldn't win votes (1,405

0.07%). Sounds like a more radical version of the tea party minus the religion. Sleepy

As much as I dislike government, I think am well past libertarian. In real life positions I am center left, I voted for the local Labour MP, but tactically voted for NZ First because I would prefer them having power to block National, even though I wanted to really vote Green Party. *sighs*

That's enough, I will stay away from economics/politics unless I can help it this time. But I don't have strong positions, though I still think tax is stealing. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes CrazyKitteh's post
08-12-2011, 10:19 PM
My name is Chris.
I'm a 19yo Geology major at the Colorado School of Mines in Golden, Colorado.

I was a catholic until I really began thinking, then realized that Catholicism and rational thought were mutually incompatible.
09-12-2011, 08:23 AM
(07-12-2011 05:37 PM)Loathed Wrote:  Hello I'm a 17 year old swedish atheist/antitheist, I grew up in an atheist home in an atheist country. I'm very interested in religion which most swedes don't share with me, probably 'cause religion is so weak here it's never talked about.
My interest in religion started when I was around 14-15 years old, I watched a lot of videos with Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, they are great sources of inspiration to me, and I've read a few books about religion (including The God Delusion and God is Not Great).

This thread is now about how awesome Sweden is.

[Image: sweden-stockholm-background.jpg]

[Image: zuckerman.gif]
[Image: 1457383063_swedish_women_43863296855-438...large.jpeg]
[Image: swedish-fish.jpg]

Do I really need to do any more 'splainin?

Took me 5 min to just decide that I'm gonna move there.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 3 users Like germanyt's post
09-12-2011, 08:50 AM
A shout out to all the new peeps. Welcome!

CrazyKitteh, there's something familiar about you. You don't happen to know anyone who likes to play with sock puppets, do you?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
09-12-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm Peter from Sweden and found"An atheist's critique of the Bible" and loved it.
Hopefully I will find more knowledge and perhaps understanding why people believe in in ... a book ... and that it's for real!
I'm an non-believer and I really have a hard time believing that people actually really believe in God or Allah or some other deity flying around in the sky.
Thanks for letting me in.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Tudor's post
10-12-2011, 01:15 PM
(08-12-2011 01:26 AM)garretj26 Wrote:  My name is Garret. I'm an 18 year old college student. I've been atheist for two years (give or take?) and my family hates it. My dad constantly tells me that "No atheist is good. You can't name one." and ignores me when I start naming some. I could go on forever about him and his ideas (he doesn't believe in evolution and if you present evidence of it to him, he denies it exists. Then he refuses to look it up). My brother is a dick and says "there is no reason not to be christian". Yes people, not "there is no reason not to believe in god(s)" but no reason not to be CHRISTIAN. I always love talking about them. My girlfirend is atheist as well (and her mom has openly called us idiots before) and her family generally doesn't care. However, when I say that, keep in mind that her dad and grandparents don't even know. I've never lied to any of my family about it but I'm pretty sure none of my grandparents know.

So... that's my religious background. Probably too in depth for this forum but I like ranting about the religious forces in my life.
You know Garret in your family you're probably the most inclined to succeed in whatever you'll undertake... being atheist means that you take life for what it is, you don't go believing that some gosthly invisible power take over your life, making you spend stupid hours in church and take away those two hours you could get to have sex instead of praying something that doesn't exist. Too bad for your parents and brother, at the end of their life the very truth will be revealed to them... and this happens normally seconds before they die where the brain does go to an extend of mega power and prove to you that you will not be coming back (ever)... but it will be too late for them to realize all those hours of their lifes they spent praying non-sense. Humans are magnificient beings, they've created everything and they also created God because they couldn't believe that they were so amazing. They needed to believe that there was more powerful than human beings and that is when God entered into our lifes. So keep on trucking and live your life as you intented because that is the only one you have.

There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages.
[+] 1 user Likes jakejakelamasabachtani's post
Thread Closed