Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
11-12-2011, 03:03 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
hey everyone. Im a 36 yr old female, been an atheist since 2007 when the movie Zeitgeist threw me for a loop. Lead a pretty sheltered life before then. was not raised hard core religious & it wasnt pushed on me. wasnt even pushed on my parents but my mom thought she should introduce me to god and believes in him herself just not hard core. we never went to church or anything there was just a belief that was "a given" in our home. I went to Sunday school when I was little but that was about it. My fondest memory of that was the wonderful old man who drove the bus with the missing finger. He was a ball of laughs and everyone loved him. Thats all I remember about sunday school. the ride there and back LOL

I was always on the fence but went with the flow until 2007. Zeitgeistmovie.com messed me up LARGE when I first saw it. Made me feel lied to, and hopeless. Felt like....well SHIT...what the hell do I do now? But I watched it a dozen times or more and spent two years researching and reading watching & listening. visiting websites and listening to podcasts. Ive learned SOOOO much since that movie opened a HUGE can of worms for me.

I have NEVER been happier for a toilet paper list of reasons. What a HUGE eye opening, coming "into my own" self discovery journey the last 4.5 years has been for me. I am SO free. So happy. I wanna scream it out to everyone what I've learned and come to know as my life. My free, happy, confident, open minded, wonderful life.

Not a huge huge fan of country music because I generally try to enjoy music that isnt so proliferated with religious lyrics but some of the lyrics, excluding a line or two from Tim McGraw's Live like you were dying is how I kinda feel now. I dont know how anyone can ask "what keeps you good if you dont believe" if anything being free'd from religion makes you realize we only have one short life to live and we need to make the best of it while we are here. after that your just worm food. no different than a raccoon on the side of the road. dead is gone. finished, so the only way to live on beyond your death is to leave a legacy of good memories on the minds of the people who's lives you touched while you were here. so they speak of you for as long as possible. After the last person who knew you is dead, your dead too.

I feel reborn. Born free. like its a fresh start. like its NOW that Im really living life to its fullest. Im proud to be an atheist. I'll say to anyone anywhere at any time with confidence and pride.

CHEERS to the Thinking Atheist. And cheers to Seth! LOVE you dude! this site rocks.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like foxgirl26's post
11-12-2011, 03:05 AM
I'm 23 years old from Australia. I have been an atheist for just short of two years. I never really thought about my religion until I did a theology unit at university and somewhere in the middle of it I said to myself "This is bullshit..." Then I found Dawkins, Hitchens etc. It feels nice to have joined some form of atheist community.
[+] 4 users Like tobiasfunke's post
11-12-2011, 01:35 PM
(07-12-2011 05:37 PM)Loathed Wrote:  [Image: swedish-fish.jpg]

Do I really need to do any more 'splainin?
YES, YOU DO.

You will need to provide a rational explanation for salty gummy fish. Not necessarily the ones pictured... I'm talking about the salted licorice ones. It's not just a smidgen of salt - we're talking full on saturation! Huh

Admittedly, I am a purist when it comes to a few things. But licorice and salt; WTF? If you need to tell me "to each his own", or "it's a cultural thing", or "you shouldn't have tried that sample at Ikea"; fine. But to tout such an oddity in giant barrels; practically flaunt it? Uuks, it's been almost 10 years and I STILL retain the sense memory of wanting to scrape several layers off my tongue -in public! I have to contend that salt saturated, licorice, gummy fish are downright sneaky... and yet... to what purpose? Undecided that might be rhetorical.

Smile Otherwise... Yes, Sweden is incredible! Exceptional beauty in landscape, architecture, and women -I like those cute swimsuits by the way, and think I may order one for myself. And it's no secret -Swedes are seriously into jazz- I've often considered relocating.

Dodgy

Apparently, I get bitchy on Sundays.
Wink Welcome to the forum.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
11-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Hi everyone

I am 27 and living in Ireland.
I've been an atheist for about 2 years now. My religious past is a bit untypical. I used to be catholic but lost my faith almost completely when I was about 10 years old. Though I always felt that I need a religion because everyone had one around me. Looked into lots of religions and stuck with witchcraft. Though it started wearing off pretty much when I started questioning things and noticed how really really weird some things sound when they are actually said out loud.
By now I am free from religion.
Apart from that I like music and writing. I love hiking and Inline-skating. But my greatest hobby is animals. Before I moved to Ireland I've always had pets, right now I don't.

Happy to be here and looking forward to some interesting discussions.

cheers Leela
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
11-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi all. I thought I would enter the world of social medium somehow. this is my first attempt. Being an athiest can be difficult in a world of religious observance, at least in name, if not in deed. What I find amazing is the ability of intelligent persons to rationalize their beliefs without any justification. I was probably about 13 or 14 when I realized the whole religious movement was nonsense. The more I learned about history, science, and other disciplines the more obvious how patently absurd the ancient concepts of religion are. Smile
11-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Wow. Lots of new people joining.

Welcome everyone! This is a great place and a great community. Enjoy your stay!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
11-12-2011, 10:26 PM
(11-12-2011 05:56 PM)Leela Wrote:  Hi everyone

I am 27 and living in Ireland.

Happy to be here and looking forward to some interesting discussions.

cheers Leela

Welcome, and I think the first discussion of interest is what is your favorite Irish Beverage, and why?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
11-12-2011, 11:00 PM
(08-12-2011 04:31 PM)CrazyKitteh Wrote:  I think I came here once under some Black Unicorn like name, made a fool of myself or something.

I went through a libertarian period, then visited this forum: http://atheistforums.org/
^Admin there supports this party: http://www.libertarianz.org.nz/policies/disability/
Quote:Most Nanny State parties subscribe to the politically correct ‘society’ model of disability – the idea that disability is caused by attitudinal and physical barriers erected by society. We say, wake up! The reason some people can’t read street signs or climb stairs is because of a medical condition. Disabilities are real physical disorders; blaming ‘society’ and turning people into victims is completely unhelpful. We are not entitled to disability services – other people are not our slaves. We are capable and intelligent; “Nanny state” should stop treating people with disabilities like children and let us get on with the job of standing up to the challenges life has handed us.
I am rather offended that party's positions. Especially as I am dyslexic and have many good Internet friends with other learning disabilities. Their party only gets a few thousand votes...I wonder why being heartless monsters, with unpopular positions that would destroy the country and ruin society wouldn't win votes (1,405

0.07%). Sounds like a more radical version of the tea party minus the religion. Sleepy

As much as I dislike government, I think am well past libertarian. In real life positions I am center left, I voted for the local Labour MP, but tactically voted for NZ First because I would prefer them having power to block National, even though I wanted to really vote Green Party. *sighs*

That's enough, I will stay away from economics/politics unless I can help it this time. But I don't have strong positions, though I still think tax is stealing. Tongue

Oh goody, I found another forum to haunt. You're covered this time - CrazyKitteh is a good handle to keep you protected from mishap. Wink

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2011, 11:03 PM
(11-12-2011 11:00 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(08-12-2011 04:31 PM)CrazyKitteh Wrote:  I think I came here once under some Black Unicorn like name, made a fool of myself or something.

I went through a libertarian period, then visited this forum: http://atheistforums.org/
^Admin there supports this party: http://www.libertarianz.org.nz/policies/disability/
Quote:Most Nanny State parties subscribe to the politically correct ‘society’ model of disability – the idea that disability is caused by attitudinal and physical barriers erected by society. We say, wake up! The reason some people can’t read street signs or climb stairs is because of a medical condition. Disabilities are real physical disorders; blaming ‘society’ and turning people into victims is completely unhelpful. We are not entitled to disability services – other people are not our slaves. We are capable and intelligent; “Nanny state” should stop treating people with disabilities like children and let us get on with the job of standing up to the challenges life has handed us.
I am rather offended that party's positions. Especially as I am dyslexic and have many good Internet friends with other learning disabilities. Their party only gets a few thousand votes...I wonder why being heartless monsters, with unpopular positions that would destroy the country and ruin society wouldn't win votes (1,405

0.07%). Sounds like a more radical version of the tea party minus the religion. Sleepy

As much as I dislike government, I think am well past libertarian. In real life positions I am center left, I voted for the local Labour MP, but tactically voted for NZ First because I would prefer them having power to block National, even though I wanted to really vote Green Party. *sighs*

That's enough, I will stay away from economics/politics unless I can help it this time. But I don't have strong positions, though I still think tax is stealing. Tongue

Oh goody, I found another forum to haunt. You're covered this time - CrazyKitteh is a good handle to keep you protected from mishap. Wink

See why I thought he was you?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-12-2011, 11:26 PM
(11-12-2011 11:03 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  See why I thought he was you?

He's not a she? Kitteh? I don't know... but I'm always houseofcantor; well, cept for that place I got banned. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
Thread Closed