Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
11-12-2011, 11:38 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hey y'all!
Find all posts by this user
12-12-2011, 09:53 AM
(11-12-2011 11:38 PM)Anton Wrote:  Hey y'all!

Welcome, Anton!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-12-2011, 11:26 AM
(11-12-2011 03:03 AM)foxgirl26 Wrote:  I feel reborn. Born free. like its a fresh start. like its NOW that Im really living life to its fullest. Im proud to be an atheist. I'll say to anyone anywhere at any time with confidence and pride.

Welcome, foxgirl26, I love that you're a born-again atheist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-12-2011, 01:47 PM
(11-12-2011 10:26 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Welcome, and I think the first discussion of interest is what is your favorite Irish Beverage, and why?

Hi Erxomai,
thanks.
I like cider a lot Smile
12-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Welcome to all the new members, I really do hope to see you all on here posting like maniacs. The world needs more maniacs. Less delusional religious people and more psychopathic rational ones. Maniacs all the way.

Nice new avatar Erx.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-12-2011, 03:08 PM
(12-12-2011 01:47 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Welcome to all the new members, I really do hope to see you all on here posting like maniacs. The world needs more maniacs. Less delusional religious people and more psychopathic rational ones. Maniacs all the way.

Nice new avatar Erx.

You can thank me for that Smile

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
12-12-2011, 06:28 PM
(12-12-2011 03:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-12-2011 01:47 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Nice new avatar Erx.

You can thank me for that Smile

Look at the Christian trying to take all the credit when others were involved as well. Typical. Tongue

@Leela, it's a bit chilly here this evening. Some nice warm, adult cider sounds perfect!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
13-12-2011, 01:43 AM
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I have been following the thinking atheists videos and podcast for quite some time now however. I am 21 years old, 22 on Christmas day (yep I was born on Christmas). I was raised catholic, believed it truly up until 16 at which point I would say I started to have doubts, but I didn't move to actually saying atheists until probably 18...maybe late 17. I was forced to attend CCD from like 1st grade until high school.

I remember I first starting doubting my beliefs because of an issue I had with my stomach. I would get severe stomach pain starting at the end of my 8th grade year and peaking (in terms of amount of pain) around my freshmen year of high school. During this time I went to doctor after doctor, even went up to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. The first thing doctors found (not at the mayo clinic, this was earlier, sorry for my broken timeline of events) that my gall bladder was bad and needed to be removed, thinking that was the source of the pain, it was removed. Didn't do a thing. Later they said that I had this issue...I couldn't possibly tell you the scientific name, essentially it can happen in real skinny people where things don't stay where they should in the stomach region and actually "collapse" and cause a blockage in the intestine. Shortly after having my gall bladder out I went into another surgery to bypass my intestine. This surgery was no fun and spent a week in the hospital recovering then even more time at home, and this wasn't the problem either. Eventually, after trying what seemed like every possible test for anything that might cause this pain it was just assumed as being irritable bowel syndrome. Which, pretty much you just get that diagnosis after they try everything else and it all comes back normal. There is no real fix for IBS, it is mostly managed by nutrition, but its different for everyone, so its a matter of finding out what works for you. So, the doctors pretty much gave me the diagnosis, but were pretty much like, "It's IBS....Have a nice life."

So after all of the doctors I pretty much just try to deal with it, but it was hard because I had such a severe case, it kept me from doing anything. I virtually had pain 24/7. Now, I'm finally getting to why I bothered telling this story. During this time I still believed in god 100%. At the time I still believed in prayer and most of my day was spent in prayer. I mean I was trying to do everything prayer-wise. I remember one day specifically, having an especially painful attack. I was sitting there in pain and "talking" to god. I remember I was in tears trying to make deals with god. I was pretty much just trying to give away everything if he would just take the pain away. It sounds so stupid to me now. I specifically remembering in my mind, "Why would god do this to me, why wouldn't he help me." Having grown up int he US to a middle class family I've had it pretty good, so there was nothing really before this that "tried" me if you will. I remember someone online saying something like "It's easy to love life when we live pretty good lives, but for those in places of immense poverty..." It's true, even my IBS was miniscule in comparison, but for me it was the first thing to make me think.

Later, one day I was at CCD I remember prayer being brought up in a discussion. This discussion led to me asking about prayers not being answered. I can't possibly remember exactly what was said, but I remember the general idea. They said that prayers needed to be a legitimate prayer. Meaning, praying for a new CD player, for example, isn't a legitimate prayer. I then brought up that I had been praying for something legitimate. I didn't say exactly what because it was a personal thing in my life. However, they just took the liberty to assume that it wasn't too big of an issue. That is pretty much the answer that I got, which to be honest upset me. I mean, this issue was something that I had been battling for the last few years. To a lot of people it probably doesn't sound like that big of an issue. I mean its nothing life threatening, but at that time, the pain was just so immense that to this day no one could pay me enough money to take that pain on for another day. So to ME, this was a huge issue, to me it represented pretty much living or not. Sitting in pain unable to think about anything else all day isn't much of a life at all.

This was the catalyst that got me to actually THINK and do a little research. I remember some months later I was back in CCD and by this point I had read a very articles talking about hipocricy in the bible. I ended up bringing this up and the teacher was attempting to explain everything that I brought up. I remember that class vividly. There were probably 10 students in that class and the entire hour was just me questioning these things. It was kind of a poorly constructed debate, but I don't call it a debate because I was more in the mindset of, "You say this....but that doesn't make any sense." Because of this I wouldn't at all say I won this "debate" but I remember after class some other students were happy that I had took the entire hour debating because it took all the time we had to do anything, so they just got to sit there for an hour before getting to leave.

Sometime after this I took this position of, "Okay, I believe in god, in that some force created everything, but it wasn't the god that Christianity taught". I think this position was taken because its a hard step to go from being a theist and then proclaiming right out, "There is no god. I am an atheist." After a while though I thought to myself, "This force doesn't have any consciousness, there is no point to call this god, I might as well just say that I have no idea, but a god that actually cares about us doesn't makes sense."

SO an atheist was born. By this time I was getting ready to go to college, which I was actually leaving the state (I'm from Kansas btw). I ended up heading to Arizona. Getting out the grasp of religious family, relatives, and friends only strengthened what I was coming to believe (or rather not believe).

So now, I am here in my last semester at school. During my time here I actually wrote a paper for an English class about why their probably is no god. I've been following all of the famous atheists on youtube (matt dillunty, seth, aronra, thunderf00t, etc., etc.). I've read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

As for the IBS thing, its symptoms have subsided naturally over the years and it barely bothers me anymore. I still have issues from it every now and then, but in terms of pain it's not even .5% of the pain that it used to be.

I have 5 other siblings and then my parents. All of them I believe are religious...I think. It's not something that really gets brought up, everyone just assumes that everyone in the family is still catholic. I don't say anything. I'm not sure how they would react. I say "I think" because sometimes in mass when I hear something stupid said by the preist or someone else I'll look over at my younger brother and his face kind of has a hint of "What a dumbass" look to it. Also, this brother was in that CCD class with me when I was questioning the bible/prayer, so maybe something rubbed off to get him thinking. I've never asked him directly though, so i'm not sure what he believes.

I have made a rule to myself, which is: I will never deny that I am an atheist, but the question needs to be posed to me directly. I won't say what I believe unless someone in my family directly asks me. When I go home I still go to mass with them to keep up the facade. I don't mind it, I see it as an opportunity to keep fresh on the ideas they preach. I am usually thinking in my own head, "oh that is so stupid, and here is why..." throughout mass.

Anyway, I'm not really sure what else to say. I had intended this post to only be a few sentences, but I got a little into it. Also, I haven't read of this and when I just think of things to type off the top of my head my grammar isn't the greatest, so I apologize if this is hard to read. I hope you understand.

It's good to be here!
[+] 2 users Like halfawake454's post
13-12-2011, 03:02 AM
Hi,

Just joined, had a little look back over the last few posts on this thread, really good to hear your stories of being atheist... Smile

I'm 38, live in the UK, and have been an atheist since my teens. Before that I think I was prety much agnostic from an early age. Religious stories were just that to me - stories - just like Noddy or any other childhood fantasy.

Thankfully my parents had the view that I should make my own mind up about these things - my Dad is atheist and even one of my grandads was too. Grandad was particulary well thought through with his ideas and I guess I picked up on that form an early age.

Anyway I am looking forward to exploring this forum and finding out what others think on the subject....I so often have to bite my tongue so as not to upset believers, it will be great to share my thoughts on here.

Von
13-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Wink RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello all,

After listening to and completely enjoying the ThinkingAthiest YouTube videos I finally got around to signing up for the blog. From what I can gather, my journey to atheism is similar to many other members.

I was raised in a catholic home by awesome loving parents. My situation got complicated when I came out as a gay man (maybe that part isn't like "many" other members... Maybe 10%.) My parents were, much to my surprise, very supportive. My mother even joined PFLAG. Others in the catholic community, however, weren't so "filled with christian love."

The church never made sense to me even when I was 8, a kid finds that kind of stuff boring. A rebellious teen finds it dull and condescending. This was further compounded by my first hand observations of people talking about "love, acceptance, and compassion" out of one side of their face and then the "except for you" out of the other.

One day I decided to read the bible cover to cover. I went to the library and got the audio version and listened to it while driving to work and back. After countless WTF!?! moments, I firmly decided the book was full of feces.

"You are using THAT to condemn MY lifestyle? Wow, what do you do for an encore stab some babies, rape some old drunk guys to 'preserve their seed', and offer your virgin underage daughters up to an angry mob for the purpose of gang rape to save your own worthless hide?" Sounded like I simply didn't need that kind of grief from those kind of people.

The people I hang out with now aren't concerned with what religion I am. I couldn't tell you if any of them have a preference since we simply don't bother to discuss it. It is truly wonderful.

Occasionally, I'll meet someone who asks me what church I go to and when I answer "I'm an atheist but I still take Sundays off for ME" I get put on their "personal soul saving agenda" and then they won't shut up about it.

In those cases I love to present what I call "the christian challenge." Before they are allowed to talk to me about the bible or any of its contents they MUST read it cover to cover (not the cherry picked feel good parts they usually quote, which could fit on a 3x5 note card if copied down, but the ENTIRE book)

I have three reasons for that:

1. I remind them that I have already read it cover to cover, and at this point, probably know more about it then they do. So they better get caught up (hit them in the ego)
2. It takes a long time and I can usually shut them up for a little while (gives me a break)
3. Nothing creates atheists like the bible (hit them in the common sense) Smile

Although I don't believe I have ever "converted" anyone, that is not my goal. My goal is to live surrounded by the people that I love and on that front my mission is already accomplished the rest is icing on the cake.
[+] 2 users Like davidbehrns's post
Thread Closed