Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
13-12-2011, 04:46 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Greetings

I studied for 10 years to become a priest. I received full training but I was not ordained (my choice). After a shocking encounter with my bishop, I slowly found my way to atheism in loneliness, thinking that I am the only weirdo with rebellious obsessive ideas about things that don't make sense but are taken for granted by everybody I knew.

I found Daniel Dennett's "Breaking the Spell" after more than 3 years of internal struggle, I was mesmerized to find my own ideas in it and I started looking for other people on line. Seth's channel was not my first discovery, but it quickly became on of my all time favorites as soon as I found it.

Anyway, I am here now and I hope that you have room for one more.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Malleus's post
15-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Greetings everyone! I stopped believing in a personal god about two years ago, thanks in part to books like "Good Without God". I'm concerned that I'm becoming an "angry atheist" and I don't want to be an angry anything. I don't live in the Bible Belt so I'm sure it could be worse, but I feel surrounded by Christianity and it seems as if people who follow that faith, regardless of their actual words to me, think that there's either something wrong with me because I don't believe as they do or that I'm really still a believer - I just don't know it. XP

A friend I've known for 25 years said to me just yesterday something to the effect of 'If you're fighting so hard against God, I think it means you still believe in Him.' It's frustrating, to say the least.

The door to reason and logic has been opened in my mind and it cannot now be shut. Like once I learned Santa was not real I could never go back, it's not a mental turnaround I can make. So here I am, uncomfortable in my own skin and of the belief that though I've got it right, most of the rest of the world wants me to go back to having my eyes shut. Here's hoping discussing things on this forum will help soothe my non-personal-god-believing soul.

Thanks for reading.

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
[+] 2 users Like calmblueocean's post
15-12-2011, 11:07 AM
(15-12-2011 08:38 AM)calmblueocean Wrote:  Greetings everyone! I stopped believing in a personal god about two years ago, thanks in part to books like "Good Without God". I'm concerned that I'm becoming an "angry atheist" and I don't want to be an angry anything. I don't live in the Bible Belt so I'm sure it could be worse, but I feel surrounded by Christianity and it seems as if people who follow that faith, regardless of their actual words to me, think that there's either something wrong with me because I don't believe as they do or that I'm really still a believer - I just don't know it. XP

A friend I've known for 25 years said to me just yesterday something to the effect of 'If you're fighting so hard against God, I think it means you still believe in Him.' It's frustrating, to say the least.

The door to reason and logic has been opened in my mind and it cannot now be shut. Like once I learned Santa was not real I could never go back, it's not a mental turnaround I can make. So here I am, uncomfortable in my own skin and of the belief that though I've got it right, most of the rest of the world wants me to go back to having my eyes shut. Here's hoping discussing things on this forum will help soothe my non-personal-god-believing soul.

Thanks for reading.

Welcome, CBO. It sounds like you'll fit right in here. Make yourself at home!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
15-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Hello! I'm new (duh) and thinking about joining this community.

I grew up in a non-theistic family. As a child, the stories of the bible were like The Little Mermaid, Mother Goose rhymes, and the Russian folktales that I loved to read. I went to church with my Nonna from time to time and helped her with Sunday School, but somehow, that people were actually believing all of this stuff didn't really sink in.

Until I was asked one day on the school bus ride home what denomination of Christianity my family was. I said that I wasn't sure. They surely were thinking that I meant "non-denominational Christian", so they kept questioning me. So, I told them that my family never prayed, that we never studied bible verses, that we didn't go to church, and that I never was baptized. I told them that we celebrated holidays in a secular way, not a religious way, and that I didn't believe the stories in the bible. They reacted violently. My brothers and I were constantly harassed on the bus rides home. One time they cornered me on the playground and threw rocks, shoes, and woodchips at me chanting "Burn the witch!" They even attempted to strangle my little brother on the bus one day, but luckily I was strong enough to rip them off of him (with the bonus of giving them a few scars).

It was then that I realized how isolated my family was. How isolated I was. I came to feel that I was on the outside of the community, and I became accustomed to that. I kept my mouth shut when religious debates occurred amongst my friends. I never planned parties on Sundays, and I grew used to being dragged to church when a sleepover took up the entire weekend. I knew that my friends weren't intending to be condescending when they spoke negatively about atheists, but it still hurt, and still left me afraid.

In Highschool, already a nerdy weirdo on the fringe of society, I started speaking up. It led to a lot of arguments with my friends, but I think I proved too them that you can be a good person and an atheist, and I made sure they knew what it actually meant. It was wonderful to be honest about this to my friends, but while they adjusted very quickly and everything went back to normal with them, their parents were another matter. One of my friend's mothers, upon discovering that I and my family aren't religious, did her best to separate her daughter from me. Her mother didn't let her go to sleep-overs that I attended (that she found out about. We managed to get around it by lying to her mother a few times.) One time, when dropping her daughter off, when she saw that I was there, she grabbed her daughter, put her back into the car and drove back home. Then we got a call about the suddenly family trip to Virginia City that they somehow forgot to mention to their daughter. Yeah... that lady was a piece of work.

Anyways, as I started opening up about my lack of belief, people started telling me things like, "you should read the Bible, then your life will be magically changed and you will see the light!" So, I read it. Or tried to. I skipped the genealogies. And I only got partway through the genocide of the Canaanites before getting so thoroughly disgusted that I skipped ahead to the Jesus part. That wasn't near as bad, but there was a lot of stuff in there that bothered me. (He drove the money changers out with a whip instead of slaughtering them all. Good for him!) The end of the world prediction that didn't come true particularly bothered me. Then, I started discussing the bible with my friends, and I discovered that I knew more about the bible than they did. That in fact, even though they'd been going to church their whole lives, they had never actually read it.

Throughout all of this, I never realized or hoped that there could be an atheist community. I'd gotten used to being alone and isolated, and I guessed that I always would be. The last few months, Thanks to you-tube, I've discovered that I'm not alone. I don't have to think of myself as alone. So, I'm joining this community of atheists to give myself a feeling of community - even if I'm not meeting people face to face. (Maybe we can some day! That would be cool! Anyone live in Montana?)
[+] 2 users Like dreamingfifi's post
15-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Hey, everyone. First, I have to say I love this place. I just found it today and it's like Disneyland. I'm not actually an atheist. I'm an agnostic. I accept that there are things I can't know, and I don't pretend to know for certain that there is or isn't a God. I do not, believe, however, that if there is a higher power that it is anything like the God of Earth's various religions. But I suppose I can talk about that more in the future.

A bit about me, I'm 23 as of October of this year, I've been an agnostic for several years now (Probably two or three years). Prior to that I was an atheist for about eight years. Before that I was a forced catholic because of the beliefs of my mother and her side of my family (To this day, my mother still believes that I believe in God).

Anyways, glad to be here, and looking forward to getting to know everyone and talking with you all.
15-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Quote:Hey everyone, I'm new here. I have been following the thinking atheists videos and podcast for quite some time now however. I am 21 years old, 22 on Christmas day (yep I was born on Christmas). I was raised catholic, believed it truly up until 16 at which point I would say I started to have doubts, but I didn't move to actually saying atheists until probably 18...maybe late 17. I was forced to attend CCD from like 1st grade until high school...

Wow that was quite a long story... but hey! I read it and I read it all Confused . As for IBS I understand you so well because I have been having the same at a very young age... but I was lucky enough because my dad was a doctor and he quickly found that it was IBS because as you described it, it can be so many things... and the pain is different for everyone. Mine wasn't much of extreme pain, but I would have bloated stomach (no gas at all) just a darn incomfortable bloating. And in my case we found that it was from any dairy products that i would consume, and also the fact that I eat so slowly (takes me a hour to finish a simple sandwich Big Grin) that I didn't eat enough LOL, later alcohol was added to that (do not have) list, but yeah a Canadian without beer Tongue and many many other things that would cause bloating or pain. There's also another thing that I have been told to do and that is a natural enema at least once a month to clean the intestine (not the much interesting, but it does help a lot reducing IBS).

As for prayers, here's the number one rule I have learned from my former catholic church and other clowns from that vaudeville theater; if you are going to pray, NEVER ASK SOMETHING FOR YOURSELF. That's what I was told by my priest, according to him and other bozos of the same leather, G.O.D or if you prefer (Greatest Obsessive Delusion) will never grant anything if you ask for yourself. Someone else has to do it for you. Also you cannot ask anything related to money, G.O.D doesn't have a bank, but he does have the largest real estate companies among the living (even though he is pure illusion). Yes you are right saying that IBS may not be the worst in the world but it has been morgaging your life for quite sometime, and one would think that prayer would fix that. Prayer to me is nothing else than a mild psychotic moment, where someone talk to himself and ask favor. Then if your prayers are not granted as you would expect them to be, the bozos will find any stupid reasons to explain why your prayer wasn't granted. My maternal grandmother dies of diabetes, I remember in the last year before she leaves our world, my grand dad would have us pray and pray for her to heal, even though he knew very well that in the 80's diabetes research was not as advanced as it it today and that anyone who suffered diabetes were condamn to die. It is still the case today, but research has bought diabetics few additional years. My grand ma died she was 52 years old. (She wasn't as devoted christian than my grand dad though, she played the game like many of us did when we were young). She was the first one I told that I didn't believe much in religion and she died with the greatest smile in her face... I was very young but I did force myself to believe for a while longer, like many of us did.

Through my numerous researches; philosophy, theology, psychology and sociology the big three, Judaism, Christianism and Islam all have something in common: the magic and SCARE OF DYING. Scare of dying, scare of the end... religious people refuse to believe that there is a end and they have, through religion, extented their natural passing to a ghostly revival. And check carefully, Jesus wasn't the first messhiah born from a virgin mother, or in a manger (or other dirty place), go back as far as the Egyptians and you'll find out some very very interesting similitudes. Never deny being an atheist, but keep searching, keep discovering, and you'll see through good documentation how easy it is to deroute the hardest craziest and "bozoist" (yeah new word Big Grin) christian, judaist and islamist believer. Take Voodoo per example, Voodoo has been brought to the world by Hollywood showing how voodoo is a bad religion, but Voodoo, the real one, has saints, deity, and a dude that was born from a virgin... same shit, only the characters are mostly blacks Big Grin

And to finish on a nice note, going back to prayer, I had the chance to travel with my dad for quite sometimes when he was a doctor without border, I have see the result of prayer versus people who actually do shit... funny enough while a bunch of monkeys were praying for water to come to the village, 12 non-monkeys were working their ass off with shovels and picks to built canal for the water to come into the village. Who got the work done? And whom took the credit? I don't even have to answer because you surely know that G.O.D brought the water into the village throught prayers, and if any non-monkeys were to want to take credit for their hard work, some monkeys would come back saying that G.O.D geve them the power and the will to achieve such work.

Seen it, lived it and got didn't put a shovel in my hand, I took it and helped.

There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages.
[+] 2 users Like jakejakelamasabachtani's post
15-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Welcome! Welcome! Glad to have you all.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
15-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Welcome each and every one of you. It's good to have you here. Now if you'll all line up at the weapons booth and sign for your firearms we can get to the whole world domination thing that was in the contract you agreed to when posting on the forum.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
15-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Welcome, all. I recommend the fried baby, but if you're watching your cholesterol, you'll find some good grilled baby recipes around here as well.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
15-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Hello!
I've been a believer my entire life and have always been super active in youth groups, went on mission trips, I set up the first college Christian group on my campus, I always minister when I get the chance and friends come to me always and first for advice and I always have my bible to back me up, my grandparents are pastors and my sister and her husband are from the bible belt getting their masters in seminary....blah blah.
However within the last month and a half I'm beginning to think a little more clear and this evening thought to myself that I am made in God's image by saying:
I’ll give you the chance to love me because I’m awesome and we can be happy if you’re good to me, you have to give yourself completely to me but I will also have other personal intimate relationships. I am smart and have all the answers to everything but you’re to never think outside of our relationship. If you reject me then fu*k you and burn in hell but remember I will always love you no matter what.
??
I'm not quire sure how to take all of this and the podcasts have been a huge relief to know there are others that have gone through what I think is my de-conversion. Thanks for providing resources! If anyone has any advice for a new "unbeliever" please share your experience as I am still a little in shock.
[+] 2 users Like edricka25's post
Thread Closed