Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
15-12-2011, 11:18 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(15-12-2011 05:22 PM)dreamingfifi Wrote:  Throughout all of this, I never realized or hoped that there could be an atheist community. I'd gotten used to being alone and isolated, and I guessed that I always would be. The last few months, Thanks to you-tube, I've discovered that I'm not alone. I don't have to think of myself as alone. So, I'm joining this community of atheists to give myself a feeling of community - even if I'm not meeting people face to face. (Maybe we can some day! That would be cool! Anyone live in Montana?)

It's quite strange being an atheist sometimes hey? I mean, you're sitting there thinking "woo science, yay" and the *whole community* is praying to God on Sundays and other fun stuff... Their first reaction to a disaster or to a decision is to pray to this God guy who as far as you can tell is about as effective as praying to a vacuum cleaner. I think it's great that at least your family aren't religious, but the abuse from others in the community sounds hectic. Oh well, you've made it so far and even managed to get some of your friends on your side. Well done Smile
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-12-2011, 03:44 AM
(15-12-2011 11:18 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(15-12-2011 05:22 PM)dreamingfifi Wrote:  Throughout all of this, I never realized or hoped that there could be an atheist community. I'd gotten used to being alone and isolated, and I guessed that I always would be. The last few months, Thanks to you-tube, I've discovered that I'm not alone. I don't have to think of myself as alone. So, I'm joining this community of atheists to give myself a feeling of community - even if I'm not meeting people face to face. (Maybe we can some day! That would be cool! Anyone live in Montana?)

It's quite strange being an atheist sometimes hey? I mean, you're sitting there thinking "woo science, yay" and the *whole community* is praying to God on Sundays and other fun stuff... Their first reaction to a disaster or to a decision is to pray to this God guy who as far as you can tell is about as effective as praying to a vacuum cleaner. I think it's great that at least your family aren't religious, but the abuse from others in the community sounds hectic. Oh well, you've made it so far and even managed to get some of your friends on your side. Well done Smile
I'm now at college, and have found myself in a far more accepting community (anime nerds and the LGBT crowd) and I don't have to face the abuse anymore. These days, the most challenging thing is dealing with my husband's family, which is very religious - but not intentionally cruel or abrasive about it. They let me an my husband be in our blasphemy. They were furious when their pastor refused to marry us because we'd been living together after we got engaged but before we got married. They left that church and started going to another one... a few blocks away.

I like to think that I've proven to his family that I'm an atheist and still a good person, and that they now view atheists as regular people. I've never quizzed them on this topic - it feels like begging for a confrontation - but I'm pretty sure that they think of me as a human being, and that they love me as a part of their family.

My Blog
[+] 3 users Like dreamingfifi's post
16-12-2011, 04:58 PM
(15-12-2011 07:38 PM)jakejakelamasabachtani Wrote:  
Quote:Hey everyone, I'm new here. I have been following the thinking atheists videos and podcast for quite some time now however. I am 21 years old, 22 on Christmas day (yep I was born on Christmas). I was raised catholic, believed it truly up until 16 at which point I would say I started to have doubts, but I didn't move to actually saying atheists until probably 18...maybe late 17. I was forced to attend CCD from like 1st grade until high school...

Wow that was quite a long story... but hey! I read it and I read it all Confused . As for IBS I understand you so well because I have been having the same at a very young age... but I was lucky enough because my dad was a doctor and he quickly found that it was IBS because as you described it, it can be so many things... and the pain is different for everyone. Mine wasn't much of extreme pain, but I would have bloated stomach (no gas at all) just a darn incomfortable bloating. And in my case we found that it was from any dairy products that i would consume, and also the fact that I eat so slowly (takes me a hour to finish a simple sandwich Big Grin) that I didn't eat enough LOL, later alcohol was added to that (do not have) list, but yeah a Canadian without beer Tongue and many many other things that would cause bloating or pain. There's also another thing that I have been told to do and that is a natural enema at least once a month to clean the intestine (not the much interesting, but it does help a lot reducing IBS).

As for prayers, here's the number one rule I have learned from my former catholic church and other clowns from that vaudeville theater; if you are going to pray, NEVER ASK SOMETHING FOR YOURSELF. That's what I was told by my priest, according to him and other bozos of the same leather, G.O.D or if you prefer (Greatest Obsessive Delusion) will never grant anything if you ask for yourself. Someone else has to do it for you. Also you cannot ask anything related to money, G.O.D doesn't have a bank, but he does have the largest real estate companies among the living (even though he is pure illusion). Yes you are right saying that IBS may not be the worst in the world but it has been morgaging your life for quite sometime, and one would think that prayer would fix that. Prayer to me is nothing else than a mild psychotic moment, where someone talk to himself and ask favor. Then if your prayers are not granted as you would expect them to be, the bozos will find any stupid reasons to explain why your prayer wasn't granted. My maternal grandmother dies of diabetes, I remember in the last year before she leaves our world, my grand dad would have us pray and pray for her to heal, even though he knew very well that in the 80's diabetes research was not as advanced as it it today and that anyone who suffered diabetes were condamn to die. It is still the case today, but research has bought diabetics few additional years. My grand ma died she was 52 years old. (She wasn't as devoted christian than my grand dad though, she played the game like many of us did when we were young). She was the first one I told that I didn't believe much in religion and she died with the greatest smile in her face... I was very young but I did force myself to believe for a while longer, like many of us did.

Through my numerous researches; philosophy, theology, psychology and sociology the big three, Judaism, Christianism and Islam all have something in common: the magic and SCARE OF DYING. Scare of dying, scare of the end... religious people refuse to believe that there is a end and they have, through religion, extented their natural passing to a ghostly revival. And check carefully, Jesus wasn't the first messhiah born from a virgin mother, or in a manger (or other dirty place), go back as far as the Egyptians and you'll find out some very very interesting similitudes. Never deny being an atheist, but keep searching, keep discovering, and you'll see through good documentation how easy it is to deroute the hardest craziest and "bozoist" (yeah new word Big Grin) christian, judaist and islamist believer. Take Voodoo per example, Voodoo has been brought to the world by Hollywood showing how voodoo is a bad religion, but Voodoo, the real one, has saints, deity, and a dude that was born from a virgin... same shit, only the characters are mostly blacks Big Grin

And to finish on a nice note, going back to prayer, I had the chance to travel with my dad for quite sometimes when he was a doctor without border, I have see the result of prayer versus people who actually do shit... funny enough while a bunch of monkeys were praying for water to come to the village, 12 non-monkeys were working their ass off with shovels and picks to built canal for the water to come into the village. Who got the work done? And whom took the credit? I don't even have to answer because you surely know that G.O.D brought the water into the village throught prayers, and if any non-monkeys were to want to take credit for their hard work, some monkeys would come back saying that G.O.D geve them the power and the will to achieve such work.

Seen it, lived it and got didn't put a shovel in my hand, I took it and helped.

Hey, thanks for the reply. One thing IBS has taught is not to judge other peoples pain, even if its something that I have personally experienced. I mean technically I still have IBS, but like I mentioned it affects me so little now that it doesn't really bother me too much. Just a couple of hours ago I was at the salon getting my hair cut and I had eaten a couple of cookies a couple hours before and they were giving me some slight stomach pain, but I was still able to get my haircut and interact with people. If I had eaten those cookies years ago when it was at its peak the pain would have been too much for me to even function in front of people. Now however the symptoms are so mild that I don't particularly even do anything for it. I can live my life just fine now. The main issue I had early on was being constipated. I remember all the time going days and days without having a bowel movement. I think most of the pain probably came from the fact that all that crap (literally) was stuck inside. Now, I'm not longer constipated and all I have to do to pass the mild pain now is to find a restroom and I'm all good, so things have improved drastically.

The way that priest expalined prayer to you is similar to what everyone was telling me. The thing I find interesting though is that they never teach these "rules" of prayer until you tell someone that it's not working.

It couldn't possibly be prayer itself, NO NO! You're violating the rules of prayer.

I mean really, wtf.
[+] 2 users Like halfawake454's post
16-12-2011, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2011 05:56 PM by jakejakelamasabachtani.)
(15-12-2011 11:18 PM)morondog Wrote:  Their first reaction to a disaster or to a decision is to pray to this God guy who as far as you can tell is about as effective as praying to a vacuum cleaner.)

Filter Queen are the best, my teenage body remembers them well Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
(15-12-2011 10:55 PM)edricka25 Wrote:  Hello!
I've been a believer my entire life and have always been super active in youth groups, went on mission trips, I set up the first college Christian group on my campus, I always minister when I get the chance and friends come to me always and first for advice and I always have my bible to back me up, my grandparents are pastors and my sister and her husband are from the bible belt getting their masters in seminary....blah blah.
However within the last month and a half I'm beginning to think a little more clear and this evening thought to myself that I am made in God's image by saying:
I’ll give you the chance to love me because I’m awesome and we can be happy if you’re good to me, you have to give yourself completely to me but I will also have other personal intimate relationships. I am smart and have all the answers to everything but you’re to never think outside of our relationship. If you reject me then fu*k you and burn in hell but remember I will always love you no matter what.
??
I'm not quire sure how to take all of this and the podcasts have been a huge relief to know there are others that have gone through what I think is my de-conversion. Thanks for providing resources! If anyone has any advice for a new "unbeliever" please share your experience as I am still a little in shock.

Edricka just keep reading, this board is a good start, but the way I really start learning how fake religion was, was simply to pick up an old history book and see all the crap that religion is responsible for... there's a book called "The Tragedy of Theology: How Religion Caused and Extended the Dark Ages"... also try to read few anthropologic studies from universities, and try to find where any anthopologists talk about the "Magic" of religion, and there's few other good reads, such as "Richard Dawkins' God Delusion" (and no it is not the Atheist Bible), but this book is somehow heavy to read, try another one God wants you dead and if you are tired of reading view the very old series "Cosmos" from beloved Carl Sagan... if you see G.O.D in those clouds it's because you've been smoking really bad granolas Big Grin.

From Youtube my favorite is Dark Matter 2525 and the others such as NonStampCollector, they're witty, funny and cartoons

There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages.
16-12-2011, 06:54 PM
(16-12-2011 04:58 PM)halfawake454 Wrote:  I think most of the pain probably came from the fact that all that crap (literally) was stuck inside.

Well that's what IBS is normally northing else than constipation, the only difference is that a normal person may be constipated once in a while due to what they have eat or not eat. Alcohol dries the conducts, greasy food created heart burns and acid reflux, too much salt irritate your stomach lining, which can also creates health issue, but when it is IBS it's eitheir a malformation of your small intestine which is also cause by what you eat... but here's the funny part, you have to find it... doctors do diagnose you with IBS and give you a pink slip off their office, what you need to do afterward it's to go to a dietician and tell her (they're mostly girls) and she'll dress a beautiful diet that will change every week, you need to follow this diet "Religiously - yeah yeah I know I have said the word". Each week she'll add or remove something from your diet and this will pinpoint which food you are allergic to. Once you have the right one you go back to hospital, get a complete colon cleanser and avoid that food in the next future but keep eating well has IBS is a malformation and quick inflammation of your intestin walls, it will block again with abuse of food.

There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages.
16-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Jake, do you think he had a pet llama, named "Sabachtani"? He probably called it Saba. No ? Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Hello, my fellow skeptics. My name is Ivy, I'm 22. I'm currently a college student getting ready to move on from undergraduate to graduate school (PhD in molecular biology). I'm from rural, conservative Kansas which is full of crazies of many different varieties.

I identify as a largely closeted atheist (why? the Kansas thing, my family would not appreciate a brick through a window) although I've recently gotten to the point where I'm finding it difficult to keep quiet because there is only so many times that I can hear "Jesus loves us all and blesses us with pretty rainbows and ponies every single day!"

I'm so glad that the internet provides a place for us all to connect and reaffirm that we are not along in our struggle against stupidity.
[+] 1 user Likes ellien's post
18-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Argh, okay. I made an account here months ago with this post.

Obviously I didn't stay active, but I have recently found myself needing a "safe-haven" so to speak where I won't be labeled as a belligerent, militant atheist asshole with "something to prove". The other forum I go to is still filled with middle school aged people who get their panties in a wad if I post anything remotely mocking religion.

Eh, I'm sure everyone here knows that feeling so I don't know why I'm bothering to go into details. I'll try to stay active here for realsies this time. haha
[+] 1 user Likes Moo's post
18-12-2011, 12:48 AM
(18-12-2011 12:08 AM)Moo Wrote:  Argh, okay. I made an account here months ago with this post.

Obviously I didn't stay active, but I have recently found myself needing a "safe-haven" so to speak where I won't be labeled as a belligerent, militant atheist asshole with "something to prove". The other forum I go to is still filled with middle school aged people who get their panties in a wad if I post anything remotely mocking religion.

Eh, I'm sure everyone here knows that feeling so I don't know why I'm bothering to go into details. I'll try to stay active here for realsies this time. haha

Welcome back. Now get busy and start posting! Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
18-12-2011, 05:30 AM
(17-12-2011 08:22 PM)ellien Wrote:  Hello, my fellow skeptics. My name is Ivy, I'm 22. I'm currently a college student getting ready to move on from undergraduate to graduate school (PhD in molecular biology). I'm from rural, conservative Kansas which is full of crazies of many different varieties.

I identify as a largely closeted atheist (why? the Kansas thing, my family would not appreciate a brick through a window) although I've recently gotten to the point where I'm finding it difficult to keep quiet because there is only so many times that I can hear "Jesus loves us all and blesses us with pretty rainbows and ponies every single day!"

I'm so glad that the internet provides a place for us all to connect and reaffirm that we are not along in our struggle against stupidity.

You're very welcome here and we look forward to seeing you rant around Smile

Cheers!

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
Thread Closed