Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
21-12-2011, 11:51 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi Ya'll.
Thanks to Seth and "The Thinking Atheist" for the site and to Paul for starting the thread.

My name is Tom Tetzlaff. I will turn 50 this New Years Eve (12/31/11).
I was born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago Illinois USA, but currently live within walking distance of the Pacific Ocean in Mendocino California USA. Redwood trees hundreds of feet tall are all around with a diversity of life that is stunning. My jaw drops in awe of nature on a regular basis in these parts. Head up to the Mendocino coast sometime, ya'll would love it. Both inland and along the coast are worth the trip.

Major changes in my belief system have taken place over the last 15 or so years.
Raised in a weekly churchgoing family with most of the dogma attached meant the usual mind numbing mental programming.

I too have felt the same struggles and emotions that most of you have dealt with when becoming an Atheist for real.
When I finally figured it out for myself, I was angry at Religion but far more angry at myself for being SO stupid for so long.
I pride myself in figuring things out and this, THE biggest thing, escaped my reasoning for far too long. I was pretty hard on myself there and let some of that anger show outwardly to no benefit at all. First lesson learned of many to come.

Now, I agree with Hitchens and Dawkins in that Religion is to be confronted whenever it comes to you and I try to contain my anger when doing so. It is those times where I am most effective yet the anger part still boils to the top occasionally.
At this point in my life, confronting religion kinda helps me feel like I'm catching up on lost time and helps me stay up on recent Scientific discoveries among other things.
I find I need both sides for my ammo. A calm and reasoned Dan Dennett or Seth but I also get tremendous satisfaction from a good Hitchslap or Dawkick topped off with a little Harrissment for good measure as I'm sure you do too.

My YouTube channel of the same name and the brilliant atheist/scientific minds on and around YouTube was my only refuge (and sometimes still is) for reasoned learning. At first I could not get enough Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris etc. I was seriously engrossed. My family began to wonder and, ya'll know how that story goes. When my far right republican brother saw I was reading "The God Delusion" I was quickly put on the prayer list. sigh....
I learned much about Science and our position through the YouTube venue and I hope it continues to thrive.
Folks like The Four Horsemen, Krauss, Thunderf00t, Potholer, Zom, PZ, and many more were instrumental in forming the foundation of my new found thought process of which I am MOST grateful. Thunderf00ts's epic series "Why Do People Laugh At Creationists" was invaluable in my early debates within my own little circle.
Now, The Thinking Atheist has arrived. It has become another force, another beacon of reason, another place where humanity can forge new understandings of what truly is the reality that surrounds us.
It is a wonderful place. I can't thank you enough. (I know...SEND MONEY!)
Sincerely,
TalladegaTom
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like TalladegaTom's post
21-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Hey Tom welcome to the forum.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
21-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Tom, we're glad to have you. A fellow ex-theist who also waited WAY to long to figure things out. Welcome!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
21-12-2011, 12:59 PM
(21-12-2011 11:54 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Hey Tom welcome to the forum.

Thank you sir.
Sauce be upon you. Wink
[+] 1 user Likes TalladegaTom's post
21-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Hi.
Sounds as if you've pulled your self together. Astounding how family and loved ones can in a sense, tear us apart, isn't it?

Welcome to 50... Wink

Smile Welcome to the forum, Tom.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
21-12-2011, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2011 01:09 PM by TalladegaTom.)
(21-12-2011 12:43 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Tom, we're glad to have you. A fellow ex-theist who also waited WAY to long to figure things out. Welcome!

Thank you. Better late than never.
It is SO obvious once you get those dang god glasses off.
(21-12-2011 01:00 PM)kim Wrote:  Hi.
Sounds as if you've pulled your self together. Astounding how family and loved ones can in a sense, tear us apart, isn't it?

Welcome to 50... Wink

Smile Welcome to the forum, Tom.

Thank you Kim. Feels good to be here.
You are most correct. My brother, who claims Mensa brain status, concludes that the Earth is 6-10 thousand years old. It drives me crazy!
Made me learn a bunch of Geology and dating methods among other things. Him? another great sigh...
I often wonder what kind of silly Mensa questions one has to answer in order to be called a genius while at the same time having no clue about reality?
I'm not 50 yet Big Grin I have 10 more days as of this post to still be a youngster. Smile TY!
[+] 1 user Likes TalladegaTom's post
21-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Hello,

I'm a born atheist and I didn't chance that. Big Grin
Nowadays I'm more a anti-theist.
I'm member on a dutch freethinkerforum, you could find my avatar there also.

Sorry for my English, it is not my native language, and the checker do the trick with big mistakes........Rolleyes

I shall look here sometimes and most of the time in the topic started by my friend Piet.
Admin of the forum above.

Note: To send this message, no trees cut down,
although there are many electrons severely hindered.
All the bits are reused.

Future World

73 Jim .--. . .---- .-. . .- PE1REA
Email, put amsat dot org behind the call
[+] 3 users Like Jim's post
21-12-2011, 01:35 PM
(21-12-2011 01:01 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  I'm not 50 yet Big Grin I have 10 more days as of this post to still be a youngster. Smile TY!

Wink You're pushing and I'm pulling!

I feel like I've needed this year to gear up... I can't wait to start the next half of my century!
So far, I'm still swimming in 50... don't hesitate to dive right in... the water's just fine. Cool

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
22-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Hello all. I am a retired IT professional that recently got around to realizing that I am an atheist. It's been a while in coming, but there's no going back once you see the light. I am looking forward to conversations with my fellow heathens.
[+] 1 user Likes godno's post
22-12-2011, 11:04 PM
(22-12-2011 05:02 PM)godno Wrote:  Hello all. I am a retired IT professional that recently got around to realizing that I am an atheist. It's been a while in coming, but there's no going back once you see the light. I am looking forward to conversations with my fellow heathens.

What flavoursh of babysh do you like? Welcome to the 'orum. *gulp* Sorry, talking with my mouth full Tongue
(21-12-2011 11:51 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  When my far right republican brother saw I was reading "The God Delusion" I was quickly put on the prayer list. sigh....

Bit like being on the naughty list in school Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
Thread Closed