Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
14-10-2010, 10:02 PM

RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(14-10-2010 07:19 AM)Agnostheist Wrote:  Hi. My name is André and I'm a 42-year-old divorced father of an 8yo demon boy Smile. I live near Cape Town, South Africa and I was raised Anglican and I had doubts as far back as I can remember. I recently found out that I'm agnostic theist and it looks like I'm the only theist in this thread Tongue. I don't have a problem with the existence of a deity (or whatever you want to call it), I have a problem with the bible. I don't believe it to be the word of a creator. I believe the bible to be about aliens pretending to be God Tongue.

I tried out being a pantheist as well, but I'm rethinking that one.
Hello André, and welcome to the Community.
Give Animists/Animism a look. Anthropomorphic Deity doesn't have to play into it, rather it's all about power, energy, imbuing all of creation and the philosophy that those energetic rhythms, wholly indifferent to the human condition, but present within the human condition, are what some call "god".

In any event, I like how you see the Bible. It's just as valid as what has been fundamentally taught for nearly 3 thousand years.
(13-10-2010 07:37 PM)KellyMarie105 Wrote:  
(13-10-2010 07:33 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  
(13-10-2010 07:27 PM)KellyMarie105 Wrote:  Hi. I'm Kelly. I'm 27 year old mother, married and Atheist. Nice to be here.

Hello Kelly, and welcome to you from a fellow newbie. Smile

Hi! Thanks for the welcome. Your siggy is hilarious.
Aw, thank you. I used that siggy on a website when I first arrived online. A Theist there just about had conniptions the whole time it appeared in my signature. I even offered to buy him a new PSP player, if he'd just chill but no could do. Tongue Finally, he left and started his own forum, making humorous religious signatures a banable offense. (I haz influencers, even in memory! Yeppers.Big Grin)
Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2010, 08:22 PM

Hello all,

I'm Edgar, a 37 year old married Dominican American and father of one. I've been an atheist for at least two decades. I was raised in a strictly Catholic faith, and became a Eucharistic Minister at the age of 14. When I turned 18 I joined the U.S. Coast Guard and was able to free myself from that life. I'm a public atheist, nothing to hide or be ashamed of. Just this past week my wife came out of the closet and declared that she was an atheist. It's been an interesting week, lol.

Edgar
18-10-2010, 06:26 AM
Nice to meet you, Edgar. Glad to have you with us.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2010, 02:04 PM

I have only been on this site twice and don't remember doing this bit. I am male and will be 67 this coming New Year's Eve and have been an atheist since my teens. Strangely enough I have never met another atheist nor did I read any books by atheists until recently. I seldom argue with members of other belief systems because I simply don't care what they believe and I don't feel compelled to defend my own lack of belief. Why would I leave the religion I was raised in (catholic) then learn all about the bible so that I could argue with christians which I feel is a waste of time generally? The worst piece of advice I was given by a christian was that I should believe in christ "just in case". What kind of faith is that? LOL

I retired at age 55 and enjoy photography, electronics (simple), carpentry, a bit of computer programing and the joys of my cottage by the sea where I leave behind television, my computer and I'm forced to find other things such as nature to fill my time. I don't get bored besides boredom is basically self inflicted anyway.

As a teen I also learned hypnosis out of curiosity. It sure got me out of being shy and got me to parties. The important thing I did learn was about how suggestible we humans are. It allowed me to see what the organized religions were doing to us... the guilt, the way churches induced a sort of trance using colored lights from stained glass windows, the monotonous chanting etc. All designed to produce a religious experience. Also how prophets of old would go out to the desert and using sensory deprevation would induce a religous experience. Believing their own hallucinations they might even have brought their version of a diety back to their people. I stopped doing hypnosis in my 20s and left it to the professionals.

In the 60s I read Huxely's "The Doors of Perception" and tried psychedelics as a shortcut to spirituality. I never had any difficulty with them but decided they were not the way and stopped.

As for my name, sinistr... I am a lefty. I had to leave out the last "E" for my vehicle plates (7 characters only) and just kept up the practice. At age 6 nuns would tie my left hand behind my back to try and force me to write with the other hand. They hit my left hand with a ruler if they caught me writing with it. I was and still am very stubborn and still left handed. Of course that was in the early 1950s and not done anymore.
22-10-2010, 02:22 PM
(22-10-2010 02:04 PM)sinistr Wrote:  Why would I leave the religion I was raised in (catholic) then learn all about the bible so that I could argue with christians which I feel is a waste of time generally?

If you chose to work to keep religion out of politics, or de-brainwash some people, it wouldn't be a waste of time.

I didn't realize that stain-glass windows could be used in that way. Interesting. Good post. Great observations.
Find all posts by this user
24-10-2010, 12:14 AM

Hello, I am Dennis aka Magician67. Today I was asked "Are you a Christian?" by a total stranger. It was a professional situation (a potential client) I dodged the question but realized that this woman was really asking a very personal question. She might as well of asked what my social security number was. When is faith a prequalifier for doing business?
Happily today I also found this website and look forward to discussions. Yes I am a professional magician.

My favorite quote is from the movie "Magicians" with Alan Arkin saying "Faith? We're magicians, we don't have faith... we sell it."

I have become quite interested in the "everyday illusions" that our society has. Blind faith is the best example ever of smoke and mirrors.

In the magic industry there are a plethora of gospel magicians. These magicians use cheesy and thinly gimmicky magic tricks to illustrate the gospel to children. I am currently working on a project to create a series of ungospel magic effects. Equally cheesy but more enlightened in message.

As for belief history: I was raised in a variety of christian churches, sought out further fullfillment in new age feel goodism, landed in zen budhism for a while and have in the last year fully embraced my athiesm.
24-10-2010, 01:13 AM
A magician? I love 'magic' tricks and illusions, I just haven't ever learned to do them. Or I just didn't try hard enough.

Welcomes!

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
24-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Welcome, Magician67!

Man, we've got all kinds of people here. Military men (and women), college students, small-business owners, and now a magician. Pretty cool.

My father's an amateur stage magician, and we've been to quite a few shows together. I tried to learn it for a while, but I gave up after a month or two when I got some new game or book to distract me. Still love the craft, though.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-10-2010, 03:18 PM
I learned a few easy magic tricks when I was in my late teens and early twenties. I wanted to know how magic worked. I didn't persue magic because I realized the amount of practice it would take to get the slight of hand down to an art form. It did open my eyes to how easily people can be awed by something that can be very simple.
24-10-2010, 03:33 PM

Drats, Magician couldn't be Criss Angel now could he?! Noooo! Welcome Dennis. And all newbies I may have missed sending Hello's to.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Shocked I am just going to introduce myself and start things off light. Dru Denizen 17 556 13-01-2014 04:05 AM
Last Post: Dee
  Introduce Myself Nevillean 1 209 23-06-2013 07:56 AM
Last Post: morondog
  [split] Introduce Yourself HERE! Thinking Mom's Letter thinkingmom 8 584 10-06-2013 01:53 PM
Last Post: viocjit
  Derailed :D[split] Introduce Yourself HERE! hylonome 81 3,890 27-08-2012 12:14 AM
Last Post: Atothetheist
  Please allow me to introduce myself Caveman 12 723 29-03-2012 07:22 AM
Last Post: kingschosen
  Can I Introduce Myself Video3tech 24 1,718 27-03-2012 11:36 PM
Last Post: aurora
Big Grin Hello everyone! I'd like to introduce myself! justacityboy 24 2,605 26-05-2010 07:12 PM
Last Post: Unbeliever