Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
30-12-2012, 07:36 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(30-12-2012 06:05 PM)Thomkotch Wrote:  Hi! I'm a science teacher from Pennsylvania and found this forum through TTA videos on Youtube! Nice to find a community of rational thinkers.

You are very welcome here. Got any education horror stories?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2012, 11:26 PM
(30-12-2012 06:05 PM)Thomkotch Wrote:  Nice to find a community of rational thinkers.
Er... yeah, that's what we are. Welcome Smile
Find all posts by this user
31-12-2012, 07:01 AM
(30-12-2012 03:59 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(30-12-2012 09:33 AM)thewellkeptwoman Wrote:  I have never always been good at introducing myself. I see that everyone is keeping it short with his or her introductions, so that's good enough for me!

It took me a while to fully deconvert: I was born and raised a JW until the age of 18, when I was DF'd for "fornication" (I refused to repent since I had grown very fond of it). I still believed in "God" and gods after that.

When I married a bible-believing Baptist at 27, and he encouraged me to read the whole thing and all the concordances and whatnot, I had a small crisis in my mind. "God" just seemed so...you know...HUMAN. I would just dismiss it immediately, telling myself that he does that to relate to us cockroaches here on earth.

Fast forward to Winter 2011. I was derping around on YouTube when I was reading all the crazy comments; and someone said that I should really see some videos from a fellow named "camara714" or do a search on "slave sermons". I watched every one of those videos, too.

I never really thought about some of the things that he discussed in the vidoes. Not to get racial, but if my ancestors weren't brought over by slave masters, would I really have been a Christian? Probably not. I looked back into the bible and slavery was indeed condoned, and was used as an excuse to own slaves in early America (and elsewhere). Christians are still using that excuse today! "Oh it was just a different time" my a$$. Dodgy Slavery, and everything else horrid that the Bible condones is wrong in ANY time.

Anyway...that, folks, was the beginning of my path to atheism.

(But, uh, please don't tell my husband. Not like you know who he is anyway. I'm just sayin', that's why I only access this site at work. It's just about the only place where he's not up my a$$ all the time. Oh, and he uses quotes from the Bible for that, too.)

Okay, okay, so I didn't make my intro short. Hi there!

Hi there yourself! And welcome to the Forum. Hope you find it a place of insight, fellowship (to appropriate a bit of "God talk"), refuge, and fun.

You're right about the Bible and God. The Bible is the work of ancient human authors, some of whom rose above the limited understanding of their time and some of whom didn't. So alongside admirable things like "What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God?" and "Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow" you have things like the acceptance of slavery, the condemnation of non-standard sexuality, the concept of "eternal damnation," and instructions for how to commit genocide. With the Bible, take the best and leave the rest.

And yes, God is very human. Genesis gets it precisely backwards: God didn't create humans in his image--humans created God in their image. So God is sometimes merciful, sometimes tyrannical, sometimes indifferent, sometimes loving, sometimes monstrous. Just like his creators.

If I could offer an unsolicited comment about your personal situation: I obviously don't know you or your husband, but it seems to me you can't remain in a permanent state of hiding with respect to your new-found atheism. Keeping this from the one who's supposed to be your soulmate and the most important person in your life can't be a healthy situation. You'll wind up living a dishonest life, and it'll wear you down. Eventually it's going to have to come out, and the two of you will have to deal with your differences. Just my two cents.

That is pretty much the only thing that I can't be honest about.

It's really hard to talk to that man. I've gotten very good at hiding my feelings about religion with him. He has very severe PTSD, and I'm always trying to make his life as calm as possible.

I realize it's unhealthy, but it's healthier than dealing with his drama!

Nothing really wears me down anymore. I just roll with the punches and try to make opportunities out of a situation.

I know you're offering helpful words of advice, though. Cool

Jesus loves you, but the Devil gives you cool shit.
31-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Hi I'm Darrell. I was raised and consider myself a theist. I do however have a very open mind and free will.
31-12-2012, 02:52 PM
(31-12-2012 02:31 PM)init_zer0 Wrote:  Hi I'm Darrell. I was raised and consider myself a theist. I do however have a very open mind and free will.

Welcome. We'll try to beat that theism out of you. Drinking Beverage

I'm guessing you're a software engineer.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Hello from Philippe
I was born and raised in France where I spent the first 28 years of my life.
In Montpellier, my hometown, I studied English Literature and Linguistics.
I moved to the US in 1990 and went back to school to get a degree in Biology.
I graduated Magna Cum Laude with a B.S. from the University of Massachusetts.
In my years in MA I also studied at Boston Film and Video Foundation where I learned film and video production and editing.

In 2008-09 I produced a low budget film, Happy Anniversary, and wrote a book, Believing in God is too easy.

I also produced a small documentary in a slaughterhouse and some of the footage is currently used by PETA in their video "Meet your Meat" narrated by Alec Baldwin.
31-12-2012, 05:54 PM
(31-12-2012 02:31 PM)init_zer0 Wrote:  Hi I'm Darrell. I was raised and consider myself a theist. I do however have a very open mind and free will.

Welcome.
(You really don't have "free will". Your choices are very much limited, and most of what goes into them, you are not even conscious of at the time the decision is made. "Free will" has been debunked by Neuro-science.)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
01-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Hi... I am 35 and I am a defender of science against an evangelical delusional family. I am also an ex evangelical christian, missionary student turned about 15 years ago to a secular history/humanities secondary teacher. The worst kind of teachers as my mother mentions often to me. As she mutters under her breathe... What kind of person can live with themselves and teach teenagers Humanities (other cultures)? I am happy to answer loudly...ME! I am a reader and thinker... I just finished Matthew S. McCormick's book (Atheism and the Case Against Christ; recommend). I love Degrasse Tyson, Harris, Hitchens, Loftus, Dawkins, Lane-Craig (for a good laugh), and many other wonderful thinkers about religion and science.
01-01-2013, 07:12 PM
(01-01-2013 06:56 PM)seattlegirl123 Wrote:  Hi... I am 35 and I am a defender of science against an evangelical delusional family. I am also an ex evangelical christian, missionary student turned about 15 years ago to a secular history/humanities secondary teacher. The worst kind of teachers as my mother mentions often to me. As she mutters under her breathe... What kind of person can live with themselves and teach teenagers Humanities (other cultures)? I am happy to answer loudly...ME! I am a reader and thinker... I just finished Matthew S. McCormick's book (Atheism and the Case Against Christ; recommend). I love Degrasse Tyson, Harris, Hitchens, Loftus, Dawkins, Lane-Craig (for a good laugh), and many other wonderful thinkers about religion and science.
Since we joined at the same time, welcome!
01-01-2013, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 08:14 PM by AnthonyP.)
Hello!

My name is Anthony. I "came out" to a small circle of friends last year, but made my "official announcement" (if you want to call it that), on Facebook. (Yea, I know...) I posted a graphic on my Facebook banner that I found on Google Images of the TTA logo. A few "friends" asked me almost an hour of putting up, what the graphic meant. I explained in no uncertain terms, "I, am an Atheists."

Upon that post, (again within the same 60 minutes), I lost 12 so-called friends. Did this hurt? Sure it did, but now I thought to myself, "Why didn't they ask me more questions?" and "Why did I proclaim myself as an Atheist?" and "Did I understand what that means", and of course "What's wrong with you, are you ok?"

Nothing... they decided to just leave without so much of a reason why...

Am I angry with them? No. Would I be friends with them again? Probably not, since they made the first step in leaving me, a "friend" because my views are different.

I have lots of friends that believe in a lot of things, and I am still friends with them. (As long as you don't try and force on me.)

I don't know how many of you "out there" knew of a brilliant author by the name of Judith Hayes, also known as 'The Happy Heretic'. When I met Judy for the first time, I felt something different about her. As time went on, she asked me, "So what's your religious belief?" I was stunned for a few seconds because I actually didn't know what to say. I looked at her and said, "Well, by definition, I would be considered an Atheist." She smiled so widely and gave me a hug. (Again, I didn't know what to say.) We talked about it for a few hours, and the more she spoke, the more everything made perfect sense and I then knew - I was not alone.

She never hinted on "who she was", until I was helping her around the house and was in her "computer room". There were a few books in there that caught my interest, like books by Carl Sagan, and Christopher Hitchens (to name a few). Along side of them there were two book with interesting titles. One was The Happy Heretic and In God We Trust - But Which One? (She gave me a signed copy of each one, that I shall always treasure.)

I asked her, "You wouldn't by chance BE the same person, would you?" She smiled and said very proudly, "Yes, I am".

We shared close to two years as just friends to best friends. I started working on her computer (a friend of mine was supposed to fix a problem, but he couldn't and asked me if I would do it), then I worked around the house. Fixing little things here and there, painting a chair, taking her to shop and get her mail. The then wife and I had her over for dinner a few times, and just chatted about things. She has been writing a blog and we started to make a better website and get her back into writing, but the loss of her husband Pat, just drained her.

In a nutshell - her readers were told by her that she was going to retire and she was inundated by fan mail that she couldn't do that, the Atheist community would lose a valuable asset. She asked me if I knew anything about about web sites and could I help her? (I've been in the IT field, for over 20 years and very current, so I gave her a high five and told her, I was on her team! I WAS ELATED.

In closing, to this 'Hello', turned rant; Sadly in June of 2012, Judy had decided it was her time to go. I don't know all of the information, save for what the authorities were allowed to tell me, but if it wasn't for her, and seeing a few of Seth's videos. I would still be putting my faith and trust in some magical being with so many social-pathological issues.

I am VERY happy to be here.