Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
06-01-2013, 06:41 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(06-01-2013 04:08 PM)Daniel Wrote:  Hi all from Ontario, Canada. Looking forward to meet people and chat. I define myself as an atheist after a long journey of troubled belief in the Roman Catholic Church. I am also a gay man, love science, and I am a teacher of special education as a profession. Cheers!
Welocome

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2013, 07:04 PM
(06-01-2013 05:54 PM)kristijo2000 Wrote:  Hi all. I'm Kristi, 33 y/o woman in Idaho. Surrounded by Mormons! Eeek!
Been listening to the pod casts for about 6 months now. Just got on the site today. Seth's talks help me feel less alone in this land of Zion and intellectual wasteland.

Welcome to reality.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Greetings!

My name is Josh, and I live in the Philippines. I am a student of medicine (I used to be a nurse), and an atheist for 12 years now. I wish you all the best, and god bless Big Grin
07-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Hi All,

I just joined this community today. I embraced my atheism many years ago, and it was a pivotal and happy moment in my life. Having read many of the seminal books on the subject, I was recently searching on Amazon for new titles (new to me, anyway). I found Seth Andrews' "Deconverted" and have read about two thirds of it. Seth's personal story is really resonating with me.

I grew up in southern Virginia, where religious zealots abound. I got out of there as soon as I was old enough to escape and eventually settled in the Washington, DC area. I find that even after all my years of being an "out" atheist, I still feel alienated and alone when I'm with many friends and most of my family. Many people in my life simply humor me about my non-belief but think that somewhere within me, I must be conflicted. They're so wrong.

Anyway, I won't go further into the mundane details. Let's just suffice to say that I think religion is poisoning the world as much as it ever has, but I also see that more atheists are becoming more vocal. I want to become more involved in the conversation, so I made a NY resolution to find some online communities. I didn't know about the TTA site until I bought Seth's book, so I am glad to be here.

Cheers,
Eddie
08-01-2013, 10:24 AM
I'm 24 year old, newly proclaimed atheist. I've only said "I'm an atheist" to one person, when family asks I push off the question with either "I don't know, I'm agnostic, it doesn't really matter to me and I don't think about the existence of a god at all" but really inside I'm dying to just say "I'm an atheist! And you are effing retarded for believing the bs that a book written by scared, infantile, peasants says" followed by a bow and an Irish exit.
09-01-2013, 12:18 AM
Hello to everyone!

I'm Gene, 25 years old, a photographic artist from germany!
Been an atheist for pretty much all my life... i left the catholic church as early as i was legally allowed to (about 3 days after my 14th birthday), always questioned the whole idea of belief. But it wasn't until i've turned 20 to really get into the topic and read books, getting informed, watching atheist discussions at the local college and getting into atheist newsgroup channels.

I've formed my own idea about these things and found myself in the "opposing side" of atheism, you can call it "dawkins atheism" if you will, i just call it antitheism. So i think the churches and belief systems are heavily damaging the world going forward, the politics, and so on...

I've written a few articles in here in Germany and try to get involved as much as i can, eventho the german people are close to 50% atheists so there is no real trouble with christian groups or something.

Aaaaanyway, looking forward to great discussions on an international base!

Best wishes from some german guy,
Gene
09-01-2013, 12:32 AM
I'm an 18 year old Christian who has increasingly been questioning the Bible. I don't think that I'll ever be agnostic or atheist, but I certainly LOVE examining bible contradictions and beliefs.
09-01-2013, 02:56 AM
Hi everybody!!

I'm a 38 year old male quality engineer living in Guanajuato, Mexico. I was raised in a catholic family, I can't remember exactly when I stopped believing in fairy tales but it was when I was very young, around 8 -10, something like that.

I'm not so open about me being atheist because I know it will mortify my mom (Me going to hell and that BS) but outside of the family I'm open about it and very proud of it.

There aren't many atheist in Mexico so I guess I will be coming back often to check what rational /reasonable people is doing and maybe chat a bit.

Alexis Mack

PS: isn't it weird that I found this page by looking for a funny furburger picture? http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...cat?page=3
09-01-2013, 10:05 AM
(09-01-2013 02:56 AM)Mackdaddy Wrote:  Hi everybody!!

I'm a 38 year old male quality engineer living in Guanajuato, Mexico. I was raised in a catholic family, I can't remember exactly when I stopped believing in fairy tales but it was when I was very young, around 8 -10, something like that.

I'm not so open about me being atheist because I know it will mortify my mom (Me going to hell and that BS) but outside of the family I'm open about it and very proud of it.

There aren't many atheist in Mexico so I guess I will be coming back often to check what rational /reasonable people is doing and maybe chat a bit.

Alexis Mack

PS: isn't it weird that I found this page by looking for a funny furburger picture? http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...cat?page=3
So you were lured in by pussy then?

Welcome to the forum Cool

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
10-01-2013, 01:03 AM
Hello people!

I'm Ryan, I'm 24 years old, and I reside in South Carolina. I've been an atheist for about four years, and I come from an extremely religous family and upbringing. I'm very open about my beliefs, and everyone who knows me knows I'm an atheist.

I skimmed through the forums and decided to join. I'm here to discuss anything science related, share ideas and hopefully learn new things. I don't take offense in being corrected, I actually encourage it, as do many scientific minds.