Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
18-01-2013, 01:12 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(17-08-2012 06:41 PM)SilverGirl Wrote:  Hi everyone. I'm a 29 year old attorney, living in Idaho. I was raised Mormon (in fact, I am a direct descendant of Hyrum Smith, so my family has been Mormon since the beginning). I have gone through the process of "losing my religion" in the last 2 years or so. It started in law school (ironically at BYU), where I learned to think critically. I look forward to talking with you all.

Welcome.

Good thing you're an ex-Mormon. Everyone knows there are no attorneys in heaven. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Hello,

I'm a 23 years old girl from Romania. I became an agnostic atheist about 2 years ago when I started to THINK and to question reality. I grew up in a very religious family (my father was a priest) but that didn't stop me from seeking out other perspectives. So, here I am Smile

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
Find all posts by this user
18-01-2013, 03:06 PM
(18-01-2013 02:56 PM)Chaosss Wrote:  Hello,

I'm a 23 years old girl from Romania. I became an agnostic atheist about 2 years ago when I started to THINK and to question reality. I grew up in a very religious family (my father was a priest) but that didn't stop me from seeking out other perspectives. So, here I am Smile
Welcome.

18-01-2013, 10:10 PM
chadwat
hey there community Iam a long time athiest recently admited athiest. My wife is a catholic but not a devoute catholic. (she has expressed doubt recently) We have four beautiful children ranging from 21 to 9 yrs old. I was born in 1971 attended some christian schools but mostly public schools
18-01-2013, 11:30 PM
I'm a 21 year old fro NY and have been atheist since last year (officially). I was raised catholic but I've grown out of that Wink Only my brother and three friends (two of which I've never met (they live in the UK)) actually know, which has is why I joined a few atheist forums.
19-01-2013, 01:54 AM
I am the type of rationalist described by Christopher Hitchens. Recently I was invited onto an on-line discussion group of right-thinking, Christian, All-American, Constitutional, gun-toting, anti-abortion, anti-Gay reactionary wingnuts. I am having great fun refuting their religious dogma with quotes from the bible, exposing outlandish claims with verifiable facts (or simple math), dousing extremism with constitutional law, and de-sanctifying Reagan and W. by their own quotes. I'm a Radical Atheist.
19-01-2013, 02:07 AM
(31-08-2010 05:38 AM)omega21 Wrote:  I am a college student in the United States. Also, I ahve been an atheist since the early part of this year. Another thing is that I am fairly open about being an atheist.
Be careful about who you are open to about being an atheist. I have met many otherwise intelligent and rational people who take their religion extremely seriously. So remain quiet about your atheism until the other person opens up about their persuasion with some remark. That way you will not alienate possibly good friends (or important business associates). Remember, we are still a minority, and a distrusted one. Be cool. Fit in. Your chance will come eventually.
19-01-2013, 02:16 AM
(31-08-2010 02:59 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  My name is Sam, I'm a twenty-year-old university student entering my third year. I'm pursuing an Honours Degree in English, which I am going to continue with a Masters, and eventually a PhD in some area of poetry.
I love school, and I love learning. I want to devote my life to being a university professor and give students the critical thinking skills that our poor education system has failed to give to most of them. I also plan on learning as much as I possibly can about poetry and literature within my lifetime.
Once you become a professor, you will have the opportunity to open many minds with the humanism of poetry. Most great poets either were atheists, or wrote as if they were. You can leverage your convictions into many minds that are waiting for such revelation. Good luck
19-01-2013, 07:59 AM
I'm a 37-year-old divorced single mom/master's student/recovering Mormon. I was raised in the Mormon faith and married a Mormon, but I was always "that woman" in the congregation who questioned the men in charge, and could never quite accept the pat answers given regarding the church's history on polygamy and racism. Looking back now, I realize I never believed, but it was what I knew, so to avoid breaking my mother's heart, I went through the motions. However, over the past few years I have opted to live my own life and have chosen reason and logic over living a life I don't want. Finally, I'm at peace with myself.
Of course, it has come at a price - loss of community, strained relationship with family members, feeling unable to share some of my thoughts and experiences with people who used to be my closest friends. But, I'm working towards creating a new community for myself and living an authentic life.
Free at last!
[+] 1 user Likes mullgal1's post
19-01-2013, 08:47 AM
(19-01-2013 07:59 AM)mullgal1 Wrote:  I'm a 37-year-old divorced single mom/master's student/recovering Mormon. I was raised in the Mormon faith and married a Mormon, but I was always "that woman" in the congregation who questioned the men in charge, and could never quite accept the pat answers given regarding the church's history on polygamy and racism. Looking back now, I realize I never believed, but it was what I knew, so to avoid breaking my mother's heart, I went through the motions. However, over the past few years I have opted to live my own life and have chosen reason and logic over living a life I don't want. Finally, I'm at peace with myself.
Of course, it has come at a price - loss of community, strained relationship with family members, feeling unable to share some of my thoughts and experiences with people who used to be my closest friends. But, I'm working towards creating a new community for myself and living an authentic life.
Free at last!

Welcome. Jump in, the conversation is fine. A little weird, a little raunchy, but usually fine.