Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
19-01-2013, 12:29 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(19-01-2013 07:59 AM)mullgal1 Wrote:  I'm a 37-year-old divorced single mom/master's student/recovering Mormon. I was raised in the Mormon faith and married a Mormon, but I was always "that woman" in the congregation who questioned the men in charge, and could never quite accept the pat answers given regarding the church's history on polygamy and racism. Looking back now, I realize I never believed, but it was what I knew, so to avoid breaking my mother's heart, I went through the motions. However, over the past few years I have opted to live my own life and have chosen reason and logic over living a life I don't want. Finally, I'm at peace with myself.
Of course, it has come at a price - loss of community, strained relationship with family members, feeling unable to share some of my thoughts and experiences with people who used to be my closest friends. But, I'm working towards creating a new community for myself and living an authentic life.
Free at last!

Wow Mullgal, sounds like you've been through quite a bit and I'm glad you found your way here. We're an international crowd and so a pretty diverse bunch... I'm sure you'll find something interesting to think about and maybe respond to. I have to admit, I probably do more reading then posting; it's quite satisfying when there's just so much to learn in a small handful of people and conversations.
I think people do create their own community.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
19-01-2013, 05:23 PM
I'm a "noob" as it's been called to the forum. I'm a long time listener of TTA podcasts and have listened since from what I understand is almost the begining in 2010. I was a Jesus freak when I was a teen and have only come out of religion the past few years, but was often a skeptic. I'm from Alberta Canada which for those who dont know is similar to being in Texas as far as believers go.
19-01-2013, 08:53 PM
(17-12-2012 11:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-12-2012 11:17 AM)Lalida Wrote:  Hi all, I'm Lalida from Thailand , 25years old
I'm not studying currently but I do believe in self learning and self education
My English is not so great but I'm trying to improve it.
I hope this site give me some brighten mind I like reading and learn.

I ll never stop learning :-)
I'm very new here
I'm very friendly and
Please advice if there's anything..

(^,...,^)

Hi Lalida Smile Are you one of DLJ's friends ? 'Cos if you are he wrote a rather beautiful poem about you - I'm too lazy to go find it, but if you beat him up he will find it for you I'm sure Smile

Hello dear, yes i am friend of DLJ ,, And yes i ave read his wonderful poem about me.. i cant express my feelings how happy i am .. but maybe i dont say it at all maybe better just to keep it to myself Rolleyes

thanks for telling me .. how are you? Smile

Angel oi
[+] 1 user Likes Lalida's post
19-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Max, 42, from Albuquerque, New Mexico..I recently found this site, and thoroughly enjoy it.. I grew up in the Methodist church, and came to my senses in my mid to late 20's..At that point I just quit going to church and never gave religion another thought..it wasn't until the last 5- 10 years that I started getting involved and doing more research on atheism and refuting the believers..anyway, I'm glad I found you all..I just finished reading Deconverted, and what a fantastic book..
19-01-2013, 09:01 PM
(14-01-2013 01:23 AM)Kaloste Wrote:  Hello.

I'm Kaitlin, 15, I'm a high school student attending catholic school. I used to be mindlessly catholic myself, but as I began catholic school last year, I slowly transitioned from Christian to deist to agnostic to atheist.

I'm a closet atheist... My family's catholic. I come here for an outlet, and mainly to know that I'm not alone. Glad to be here.

: )

Shy Hello Kaitlin.. Welcome here,, i am new here too.. i am hope i can learn something new in here.. Smile

Angel oi
20-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Hi, my name is RJ. I'm a 20 y.o college student from East Timor (Timor Leste). Currently working towards my bachelors degree in Computer and Information Science in New Zealand. I've been an atheist for almost 2 years now.
20-01-2013, 11:22 AM
(20-01-2013 09:08 AM)rj_teh_monkey_king Wrote:  Hi, my name is RJ. I'm a 20 y.o college student from East Timor (Timor Leste). Currently working towards my bachelors degree in Computer and Information Science in New Zealand. I've been an atheist for almost 2 years now.
Hey, that's so cool! You're the second person I know (well, I don't really know you, but...) from Timor Leste. The other one was also living in New Zealand (or maybe Australia, I forget).

Anyway, bem vindo (I'm guessing you do speak Portuguese?). If not - welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay Smile

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
20-01-2013, 11:23 AM
My name is Chad, I am a 25 year old college graduate. I live in Midland, Ontario Canada. I was 18 years old when I found out that questioning your faith was an option.

The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.
-God Is Not Great
20-01-2013, 06:20 PM
(19-01-2013 08:56 PM)mc3rd Wrote:  Max, 42, from Albuquerque, New Mexico..I recently found this site, and thoroughly enjoy it.. I grew up in the Methodist church, and came to my senses in my mid to late 20's..At that point I just quit going to church and never gave religion another thought..it wasn't until the last 5- 10 years that I started getting involved and doing more research on atheism and refuting the believers..anyway, I'm glad I found you all..I just finished reading Deconverted, and what a fantastic book..
Hey Max! I'm also from Albuquerque, and I also grew up in the Methodist church. Welcome!

I agree; Deconverted was really good.
20-01-2013, 06:22 PM
(20-01-2013 11:23 AM)cejl Wrote:  My name is Chad, I am a 25 year old college graduate. I live in Midland, Ontario Canada. I was 18 years old when I found out that questioning your faith was an option.
Welcome!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Shocked I am just going to introduce myself and start things off light. Dru Denizen 17 618 13-01-2014 04:05 AM
Last Post: Dee
  Introduce Myself Nevillean 1 226 23-06-2013 07:56 AM
Last Post: morondog
  [split] Introduce Yourself HERE! Thinking Mom's Letter thinkingmom 8 628 10-06-2013 01:53 PM
Last Post: viocjit
  Derailed :D[split] Introduce Yourself HERE! hylonome 81 4,006 27-08-2012 12:14 AM
Last Post: Atothetheist
  Please allow me to introduce myself Caveman 12 741 29-03-2012 07:22 AM
Last Post: kingschosen
  Can I Introduce Myself Video3tech 24 1,747 27-03-2012 11:36 PM
Last Post: aurora
Big Grin Hello everyone! I'd like to introduce myself! justacityboy 24 2,637 26-05-2010 07:12 PM
Last Post: Unbeliever