Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
23-01-2013, 12:16 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi everybody!
My name is Penny, I'm 25 from Australia and am an officially outed Atheist as of 2009. I was raised Christian and very much indoctrinated in the church. My Christian mother made sure that my sister and myself spent a lot of our time at the church or among church members and my atheist father never stood in the way of that. After my mother's passing when I was 16, I drifted away from the church (partly because I was angry that she died, and partly because she wasnt there to keep me accountable) and have only recently stepped into the understanding that I am an Atheist and proud!
Can't wait to be able to get to know more of you amazing people. I have already met some lovely atheists through my YouTube Channel (JoSylva) and am a TTA addict! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2013, 12:42 AM
Hello, Penny.

Good to see another Australian in town.

I'm from Adelaide myself.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
23-01-2013, 05:01 AM
51yo Australian, living in outback Queensland. Looking forward to connecting with like-minded people.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2013, 05:54 AM
We've got a lot of new Australians appearing.

that makes, what Three in as many days now.

In any event, good to see another one of my people here.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
23-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Hello!

Long time listener, first time poster.

My name is Tony and I am from Seattle, WA, USA and I am currently living in South Korea. I have been an Atheist my whole life and never had any one particular religious view favored upon me until I was 12 and went to a free bible camp. That experience was actually very good for me because it was a five day camp where we met for about six hours a day. Each day, we would be taken to a different house of worship: a Catholic church, a mosque, a Buddhist temple, a synagogue, and their church of who-knows-what denomination (some kind of vanilla protestant religion.) This experience left me with more questions than answers.

In any case, I did some comparative religions courses in college and enjoyed the mythology about it all and always thought that tchotchkes were cute of the various religions. I guess I learned too much about science before I could figure out about anyone's magical invisible friend.

I have always found science far more interesting than religion or the anti-religion movement. I do have several questions for religious folks and do hope that someday they can make a convincing argument using science. I really want to see the religious person prove something so that we have something more to talk about because I do find it boring to hear the same ole talk about how you are stupid if a) you believe in god, or, B) you don't believe in god. Both are about as absurd as anything.

I also would love to see any information anyone can provide about science and discoveries. I know that there needs to be a support community where people can bash their once-held religious views because they are now liberated, but the rest of us who never cared much about ghosts in the sky are generally more interested and excited about science. I get a billion times more excited about seeing Jupiter through a telescope than to tell a religious person that they are wrong. I just hope there is a fruitful "next step" for people when they realize that they can be themselves and that they no longer have to worry about religion spooking them into donating.

So to wrap it up, I am glad that this group exists and I am glad that Seth can organize all of this online and I hope it really does help those who need help and I hope it sets people onto a platform to do something more with their life and to realize that this is all we have, so we should cherish it and live our lives to the fullest.
23-01-2013, 10:44 PM
(30-08-2010 09:46 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  Hey

I was looking for a place to introduce myself, and realized that there was no "one thread" for members to do so. I thought I would start one.

I'm Paul. I am a 31 y/o male stationed with the Army in South Korea. I have been an Atheist all my life, I was raised as one. I run a small blog and I am getting ready to leave the Army.

I am an open atheist, there's no hiding for me, I tell other people about Atheism and why I choose to be one. But I try very hard not to be pushy about it.

Anyone else?
Hi Seth, long time listener first time call....oh. Hobo

This is a test.
24-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Hello, my name is Julie. I'm 61 and hoping I'll get to retire some day. Most of my life I've been a searcher. I've looked into many religions and was never convinced. I really did try. As I look back I wonder why.
24-01-2013, 08:49 PM
Well I am 24 an avid athiest since the age of 14. I am from Texas so I have learned how to defend logic and have argued with more christians in a year than most people ever will. Another reason why is i have been a mechanic for quite sometime and mechanics in the south are just a little conservative. Anyway I like heavy metal, guns and cars. I am a drummer and a half assed body builder lol anyway look foward to talking with like minded people for once.
24-01-2013, 08:53 PM
(24-01-2013 05:57 PM)julie Wrote:  Hello, my name is Julie. I'm 61 and hoping I'll get to retire some day. Most of my life I've been a searcher. I've looked into many religions and was never convinced. I really did try. As I look back I wonder why.

Welcome, Julie. Trying is human; we want to know, to understand. Searching is honourable.

And reason is the answer.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-01-2013, 09:26 PM
(24-01-2013 05:57 PM)julie Wrote:  Hello, my name is Julie. I'm 61 and hoping I'll get to retire some day. Most of my life I've been a searcher. I've looked into many religions and was never convinced. I really did try. As I look back I wonder why.

Howdy howdy ho, Julie. [Image: Tip-Hat.gif]

(24-01-2013 08:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  And reason is the answer.

I see it more as a navigational system, kinda like GPS for metaphysics.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.