Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
27-01-2013, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2013 02:45 PM by Guy Ice.)
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi folks. I am a lifelong atheist in my 40's , although I have only been very vocal about it for the past five years or so. I am a career fireman/paramedic fairly close to retirement. I'm married with two kiddos.. I live in the Southwest United States. At some point as I get better with video/camera/ ect., I would like to post my own videos, or at least get involved more. I am going to visit Iceland in March. (I CAN'T WAIT!!). One of my bucket list items, also hence the forum nickname. Cheers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Guy Ice's post
27-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Hi there, to all the recent newbies.

Great to see you here.

Enjoy!

27-01-2013, 03:17 PM
hi everybody.
27-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Hi, I am new to this website and began to see the contradictions within religion, Christianity specifically, around the age of 9. I am lucky to live in the pacific northwest, as religion, or the lack thereof, is not quite the hot-button that it is in places such as the bible belt. I began labeling myself as an atheist about three years ago, in the face of family members being told that atheists do not exist and I could not be one. My sister has also began opening her eyes to reason recently, and identifies as an agnostic (she still believes in ghosts/spirits). Little has changed in my relationships to other family members, except religion is never brought up in conversations as a kind of silent agreement.

I am happy that communities such as this exist, and am excited to become part of it.

Thank you,

Jenny
[+] 1 user Likes jenny88's post
27-01-2013, 05:01 PM
(26-01-2013 04:32 AM)Kingsnake Wrote:  Morning/Evening
I'm from the east of Scotland and here to learn!
Kingsnake
Welcome from America.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
27-01-2013, 05:04 PM
(27-01-2013 04:43 PM)jenny88 Wrote:  Hi, I am new to this website and began to see the contradictions within religion, Christianity specifically, around the age of 9. I am lucky to live in the pacific northwest, as religion, or the lack thereof, is not quite the hot-button that it is in places such as the bible belt. I began labeling myself as an atheist about three years ago, in the face of family members being told that atheists do not exist and I could not be one. My sister has also began opening her eyes to reason recently, and identifies as an agnostic (she still believes in ghosts/spirits). Little has changed in my relationships to other family members, except religion is never brought up in conversations as a kind of silent agreement.

I am happy that communities such as this exist, and am excited to become part of it.

Thank you,

Jenny
Welcome. I'm still fairly new myself but I'm liking it very much here.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
28-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Hello! I am a 35 year old mother of 3 from near-Tampa, Florida. I had always been a skeptic but realized my beliefs when I was 12 years old.

Honestly, I'm just looking for a place to "fit in". I look forward to talking with other people with similar beliefs.
Personally, I don't judge people on their beliefs, I GET that I am in the minority. I don't try to change anyone's mind. I just look forward to not feeling quite so alone in my beliefs.
28-01-2013, 01:48 AM
hi pplz! im 26, from the detroit michigan area. i basically joined because im a new found atheist and i want to learn more and get to know others as well as kinda understand myself better, and i want a place where i wont be judged for my views. i am also transgender, that really has nothing to do with it, im just throwin that in there so you know a bit about me. lol! btw, where would be a good place to post an idea me and my wife had on natural explainations for "supernatural" claims?
28-01-2013, 02:09 AM
I stopped going to church in 2010 or so. In the year I quit
I was forcing myself go a few times, and occasionally walked out during the
preacher’s lecture. After the sixth or so walk out, I told myself that enough
was enough. Some of the things he said about certain people didn’t sound good
to me. I figured that studying the bible more closely would remove the doubts
that had been growing for five years and that it would help me be a better Christian.

That didn’t work as intended. I have cassettes and a standard print book
in strange, flimsy paper for the Old King James version. I said “what the F?”
several times while listening to it, because it had some things that I didn’t
expect or like. I do not come from a strict family either. My bible was supposed to be what every preacher through my
life told me it was. Perfect, contradictory free and explaining how God is
loving. During that two month shift, I lacked a few marbles and hours of sleep.
I saw a shadow arm come out of my throat during day light amung other nutty things.
28-01-2013, 04:30 AM
I`m an Atheist`s Atheist in the way that their are no Atheist`s in foxholes.
Belief has driven man since time began, to ignore it is no ignore man`s evolution of the mind.

The Bible
is the most in-depth collection of books(66) on earth from poetry, drama -
prophecy -fulfillment - law - Grace to
systems of salvation and condemnation.

Written over many centuries, billions use it rightly and wrongly to seek truth. As in any journey you don`t arrive at the end at the beginning.

So I acknowledge mans complexity and don`t ignore his instinct for believing in god or his capacity to close his mind to his own inevitable Death.
Faith in the unseen drives the sciences, its built in, locked in. Accepting this allows for the impossible to happen. Penicillin from mold as it were. Life from decay.

Long live open mindedness and realize a God once rejected has not eliminated a God that has provided the free gift of salvation that many of his fellowman has accepted before him
and undoubtedly well after he has expired.

While Truth hides amongst the ignorant and liars our search must be diligent and critical so I look on atheists in hope and optimism.