Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
30-01-2013, 05:31 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(30-01-2013 05:15 PM)leeroythelug Wrote:  hello everyone at TTA, my name is ray gallagher, a 25 year old sound engineer from donegal, ireland.
i have a keen interest in science and am currently educating myself as a physicist. i was a member of my school and college debate team and as such have battled many times about many issues but i find that religion, the biggest of all issues and its supporters infuriatingly tedious to debate against because they stand there with their fingers in their ears and cannot by swayed by reason, logic or common sense...
im practically a life long atheist as even at a very young age i remember sitting in the pews of a roman catholic church and thinking to myself that this makes no sense to me at all...
i have been an avid follower of TTA podcast for a year or so now but am only getting around to making my presence felt on the forum now, and i hope to get to know many of you as our views will inevitably conflict at times but thats half the fun Big Grin
Welcome aboard. Smile

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
30-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Hello All,

I am Larry, a 60 year old male in Chico, CA. I was raised in an assortment of faith traditions, but really gave up any thought of religion after an xmas visit to a
catholic church. The image of so much pomp, circumstance, gold and begging for more was offputting to say the least. I have only begun to embrace the non- religious community in the last 5 years or so. I enjoy searching out new atheist oriented podcasts which I listen to while I work. TTA is one of my favorites, leading to my being here now.

30-01-2013, 08:45 PM
'sup Larry.

(30-01-2013 07:13 PM)incorrectuserid Wrote:  The image of so much pomp, circumstance, gold and begging for more was offputting to say the least.

We differ there, brother. The pomp and circumstance and gold and begging is the only thing that'll get Girly to attend, I find it quite enjoyable and entertaining to watch. ... But that's just me.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
31-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Hello everyone,

My name's Coen, I'm a 23 year old student from the Netherlands. I cannot exactly remember at what age I decided that for me believing in any god did not work and was unfounded but as time progressed I have only seen confirmation of atheism.

Currently I'm doing a Masters study in Dutch language and culture which will hopefully also get me a teacher's degree. And I figure that's about it.
31-01-2013, 04:18 PM
(31-01-2013 10:36 AM)Seppela Wrote:  Hello everyone,

My name's Coen, I'm a 23 year old student from the Netherlands. I cannot exactly remember at what age I decided that for me believing in any god did not work and was unfounded but as time progressed I have only seen confirmation of atheism.

Currently I'm doing a Masters study in Dutch language and culture which will hopefully also get me a teacher's degree. And I figure that's about it.
You and my son have the same name except we spelled it the traditional way (with an "h").

[Image: vjp09.gif]
01-02-2013, 12:45 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 12:55 AM by Lienda Bella.)
Hi again. Here are some of the things that I was thinking when doubting.
  • Kids can think its ok to bully because of creation and superiority.
  • God creates children into poverty, parasitic infections, child abuse, etc. and keeps some capable, caring parents bare of birth. After these kids die from whatever issue he put them into, they get to thank him for it forever and ever.
  • Job is often used as an example of how we humans are to shut up about our feelings.
  • Christian adults often tell children that the bible is all the knowledge and truth that they will need for the rest of their lives, and that God is to be more important than literally anything else. In a way, some of these adults also teach children that Christianity is equal to life and death.
  • If you were raised in ‘the other group’ you somehow go to hell for eternity.
  • For some reason, God wants the world to end with a few episodes of pointless suffering, because that’s better than just ending it right now.
  • Satan and the demons weren’t happy with or in wonderful and amazing heaven.
  • Demons possess and leave people the same way they did a thousand times before. They also cry, struggle and complain that the time God had allowed for their little puppet play has now ended at the hands of an old priest creature again.
  • The bible was actually confusing because we didn’t like to admit that it said what we thought that it did.
  • Christians often think that forgiveness means to tell oneself that it’s ok so and so did this or that horrible thing that certain time. No matter how bad the deed was, they still get to blame themselves for not forgiving a certain person earlier, because not being able to forgive them soon enough means that God will not forgive them soon enough.
  • God loves you a lot like a psychopath or narcissist does.

[+] 1 user Likes Lienda Bella's post
02-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello All! I am a 43 year old Atheist, raised in a Catholic, then fundamental Christian home. I have been an Atheist since the age of 19. I have lost my relationships with both of my sisters over my lack of belief, and I walk a constant tightrope trying to maintain a relationship with my mother, who is very Fundie. I wouldn't change a thing, though, and am quite happy (and moral) without god.
02-02-2013, 08:47 AM
(02-02-2013 08:40 AM)Tanus Barbarus Wrote:  I am moral.
Then we're not sure if we really want you here. It's a rather immoral place we got going here Dodgy

JK. Welcome, hope you enjoy your stay Smile

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
02-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Introduce Yourself HERE!
(02-02-2013 08:47 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(02-02-2013 08:40 AM)Tanus Barbarus Wrote:  I am moral.
Then we're not sure if we really want you here. It's a rather immoral place we got going here Dodgy

JK. Welcome, hope you enjoy your stay Smile

Thanks for the welcome! One of my biggest pet peeves is theists telling me I can't have morals without God. I definitely can't claim a pure past, especially in my hedonistic youth, but when it comes to how I treat friends, family and those I come into contact with, I like to think that I lead a "moral" life. Of course, many things I do daily, and the convictions I hold would be considered "immoral" by many theists. And that is just one more reason why I left that life behind me.
02-02-2013, 09:47 AM
(02-02-2013 09:41 AM)Tanus Barbarus Wrote:  Thanks for the welcome! One of my biggest pet peeves is theists telling me I can't have morals without God. I definitely can't claim a pure past, especially in my hedonistic youth, but when it comes to how I treat friends, family and those I come into contact with, I like to think that I lead a "moral" life. Of course, many things I do daily, and the convictions I hold would be considered "immoral" by many theists. And that is just one more reason why I left that life behind me.
Shows you how much they (don't) know. If you are so totally devoid of a moral compass that you need a fictional character (and a vicious one in about 99% of all mythologies... sorry, religions) to tell you how to act, then it's not really the atheists who are immoral or amoral.

My pet peeve is the word sin. Drives me nuts.

Once again - welcome and dive right in Smile

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post