Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
08-02-2013, 03:00 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I'm am 18 year old Aussie girl, in my spare time I sketch.

Was baptized but not by choice and I feel it is wrong to try and force a kid who is only a few months old into a glorified cult
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2013, 06:56 AM
(07-02-2013 09:02 PM)JohnyPhoto Wrote:  Hello everyone, I'm a twenty-seven years old member of the Canadian Army, been doing it for ten years (only fifteen to go, hahaha!) and loving it!

I was raised in a typical French-Canadian family (read: Catholic) and was forced to attend church as a child every Sunday as well as taking Catholicism in school instead of "moral studies" (kinda like an ethics course) until I was a teenager and my parents gave me the choice. Even as a young child, I never took religion seriously and never "got" it.

I'm a relative newcomer to the skeptical/atheist movement, I've always held the positions I currently do (religion is baseless, pseudosciences too) but didn't know there was such a huge community out there! I started with books then "The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe" and then other blogs, podcasts and websites. I started to get involved with Centre for Inquiry (CFI) a little while ago but can't participate as much as I'd want to since I live a bit far from Montréal (where my branch is located). However I participate in the online discussions and have attended a talk by Nate Phelps (estranged son of Wesboro Baptist Church crazyman Fred Phelps), and photographed it. It was a great experience and I hope to have many more, either with them or other like-minded groups of individuals.

Aside from my career, atheism and skepticism, I do a bunch of stuff to keep busy including hiking, camping, blogging as "Skeptical Bully" (but a good kind of bully) and the love of my life: Photography. It's just a hobby but I take it, like everything else I enjoy, very seriously and so I try to take every opportunity to do it. I hope to one day be able to use it to further causes I care greatly about like atheism and the associated social issues (religious bigotry, etc).

Welcome. Good to have another Québécois.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2013, 11:47 AM
I am a 20 year old geology student in Southeastern Wyoming. I visited these forums often many years ago but failed to find my original login so have begun anew! I hope to find some other earth scientists around here somewhere...
08-02-2013, 01:26 PM
(08-02-2013 11:47 AM)Sionnix Wrote:  I am a 20 year old geology student in Southeastern Wyoming. I visited these forums often many years ago but failed to find my original login so have begun anew! I hope to find some other earth scientists around here somewhere...
Welcome aboard. Smile

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
09-02-2013, 07:26 AM
I am 65 married with two grown sons. I have held atheist position for more than 50 years. I live in South Africa on the east coast.

It may be that ministers really think that their prayers do good and it may be that frogs imagine that their croaking brings spring.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll
[+] 1 user Likes ingwe's post
09-02-2013, 07:49 AM
(09-02-2013 07:26 AM)ingwe Wrote:  I am 65 married with two grown sons. I have held atheist position for more than 50 years. I live in South Africa on the east coast.
Welcome to the forum, cool avatar Big Grin

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
10-02-2013, 01:37 AM
Hello, I'm a 20 year old psychology student who recently discovered this forum from watching The Thinking Atheist youtube channel and thought I should make an account! I'm minoring in religious studies and am connected to the evangelical youth at my college (roommate of 3 years and suitemates all part of the Campus Crusades For Christ organization). I have many stories to tell and would love to hear from you all as well. Can't wait to get more involved in this chat!
10-02-2013, 01:58 AM
Rosetta, Sionnix, ingwe and MsNonBeliever,

Welcome.

We have all sorts here... deists, theists, atheists. Some passive, some passive / aggressive, some aggressive. Watch out for the occasional troll and other than that, jump right in, the water's lovely.

... and MsNonBeliever, dig the dirt, we're all ears.

10-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Hi, I'm a 24 year old male atheist from the Dominican Republic. Been stalking for a while and just suddenly decided to join, just in case i ever have something important to say.
10-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Hi my name is Kyle Ferguson

Throughout my life I have been a christian and have recently became an atheist.
I am a college student working on a mechanical engineering degree.