Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
20-02-2013, 11:45 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(20-02-2013 11:32 AM)SkepticWanderer Wrote:  Hello people. I am a 58 yr old heathen. I was a witnessing, tougue-talking pentcostal for years. 10 yrs ago I started having serious doubts about my own experiences and the bible in general. 6-7 yrs ago I finally admitted to myself that I didn't believe in God anymore. I'm here for support and to offer whatever advice I can to others in their walk through life without God.

Welcome. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2013, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2013 06:43 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-02-2013 08:33 PM)millardjmelnyk Wrote:  I'm a digger. I like to get underneath the foundations and see what holds them up. Most people I meet get nervous when I do this. This baffles me. We should all be doing it, to ourselves and to each other.

Welcome Mallard (may I just call you Duck, it's easier to type).

Me too, GreyBeard. I've never rejected Christianity or any other religion. After studying dualism and finding it completely untenable decades ago, I go straight for the knees and ask "How do you find the promise of a postmortem preservation of identity even imaginable, let alone plausible or tenable?" That usually not only shuts them up but leaves most agape. 'Cept for those damn Buddhists, they just smile at me bemusedly "Like why would you ever think that in the first place silly boy?"

(18-02-2013 08:33 PM)millardjmelnyk Wrote:  Atheists seem more interested in being a-believerists than a-deists. Am I right?

Dunno 'bout most but that's a proper characterization of Girly. I don't believe in belief unless you can formalize it, then I can buy in.

(18-02-2013 10:08 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Holy of holies! So many new members....Welcome aboard the board.

Ditto. Howdy howdy ho. [Image: Tip-Hat.gif]

(19-02-2013 10:47 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(19-02-2013 05:27 AM)Tamril Wrote:  Hi everybody, I'm 20 years-old , have been a chathlic since im born but always knew that the religion talks crap.
Welcome to our forum.
...Your English is pretty good, by the way. Thumbsup

Quit pretending you ain't a native English speaker who just happens to be living in Germany, Vosur, it just confuses everyone. Big Grin

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
20-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Hi, everybody Smile . I'm Jeb. I'm a 23 year old nursing student. I've been an atheist since middle school. I'm a lifelong Internet Person and I love every thing.
21-02-2013, 04:02 AM
(20-02-2013 10:31 PM)Jebediah Wrote:  Hi, everybody Smile . I'm Jeb. I'm a 23 year old nursing student. I've been an atheist since middle school. I'm a lifelong Internet Person and I love every thing.
'Nursing' students is one of my favourite occupations too. Drooling Smartass

Welcome Jeb.

21-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Brick RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Okay...so I am pretty much a "new-found" Atheist journeying my way out of old beliefs, thought processes and ways of living (Christianity and all its fabulous psychological and emotional effects and superstitions) that have for awhile been crumbling around me--I just now have the courage and audacity to acknowledge and confront what I have already wondered about and known for years. So many things I don't know. So many things I still find myself fearing and having extreme anxiety about...just finding my way. But I am SO encouraged by the plethora of supportive resources out there that I am presently absorbing voraciously! Books, books, books, sites, The Atheist Experience, and this is my first attempt at joining a forum online. So, here I go. Blink
21-02-2013, 07:38 PM
(21-02-2013 07:03 PM)bethiebugs Wrote:  Okay...so I am pretty much a "new-found" Atheist journeying my way out of old beliefs, thought processes and ways of living (Christianity and all its fabulous psychological and emotional effects and superstitions) that have for awhile been crumbling around me--I just now have the courage and audacity to acknowledge and confront what I have already wondered about and known for years. So many things I don't know. So many things I still find myself fearing and having extreme anxiety about...just finding my way. But I am SO encouraged by the plethora of supportive resources out there that I am presently absorbing voraciously! Books, books, books, sites, The Atheist Experience, and this is my first attempt at joining a forum online. So, here I go. Blink

Welcome and enjoy the learning. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-02-2013, 07:40 PM
(20-02-2013 06:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Quit pretending you ain't a native English speaker who just happens to be living in Germany, Vosur, it just confuses everyone. Big Grin
You overrate me, Girly. Smartass

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
21-02-2013, 11:34 PM
I'm an 18-year-old college student that participates in medieval recreation groups and frequent LAN parties. I'm an agnostic atheist, but I think mythology is pretty cool - at least the kind that's dead.
23-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Hey guys, new here. Found the site whilst browsing youtube and coming across some hilarious videos (the Creationist Museum comes to mind).

I was once agnostic and tried very hard to be open minded and sympathise with theists. Unfortunately, the more I learned, the harder it was to remain agnostic. In fact, the very act of talking to theists about the reason behind their beliefs, and by actually reading some religious texts, was what pushed me over to atheism. I still like to think I'm slightly agnostic (because it would be unscientific to say I am certain of anything), but for all intents and purposes I'm wholly atheist.

I actually run a blog about science, logic and the English language. As you might have guessed, anything involving science and logic tends to run into a problem with theism, so I end up debunking a lot of theistic arguments on my blog too.

If anyone's interested in browsing: http://scepticalprophet.wordpress.com/
23-02-2013, 02:39 AM
Shocked RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello everyone my name is Ben I am 17 years old.
I was raised in a Pentecostal church.
Ok so the church Actually called themselves non denominational but it was as Pentecostal as it gets.
Now their is a lot of In between here but I will try to keep it short Smile.
So I never actually read the bible very much at all despite 17 years of being Consistently surrounded in the Belief of the Christian faith.
So I was in short what everyone calls a hypocrite. I told myself this last week no I will no longer stand on other peoples faith I am going to research these things for myself.....so I did and I did not like what I found. In reading the old testament it only took me about 10min to think to myself wait this simply does not make any logical sense at all. I saw the brutal murder of thousands of men,woman,children,sick killing of animals. And all of this apparently was "For Gods glory" I was Appalled at what I was reading. So long story short I have left my faith. Please Realize that I did not just say well I don't understand this so I am just leaving the church. I am not that kind of person. So I guess to wrap it up I have now decided that I can no longer keep feeding myself a lie. But one of the hardest things for me at this moment is that I am most likely going to lose most if not all of my close friends in the church. but I told myself that I will not let things like this affect me searching for truth. So I guess I wrote this in the hopes of making new friends oh and I have so much more that I would like to talk about and share this is only the Beginning Smile please Excuse my Grammar it was never one of my strong suits Smile

"Invisible pink unicorns" and "Screaming blue ants" Matt Slick
[+] 1 user Likes ChuckTesta's post