Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
01-04-2013, 07:40 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
At the moment, I am a high school senior, 18, who actively partakes in object manipulation or other forms of manipulative arts. Mainly pen spinning and speed-cubing for now though.

I revealed to everyone I knew that I was atheist about two weeks ago. I've been a lot happier and a lot more active in learning since then. I grew up Seventh Day Adventist, only I never prayed for anything, and my brain never connected going to church as anything beneficial to me. I suppose that is why there wasn't that much internal resistance for me when I learned about agnosticism and then atheism.

Glad to be a part of the community here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ObjMan's post
01-04-2013, 09:19 PM
(01-04-2013 07:40 PM)ObjMan Wrote:  Glad to be a part of the community here.

Welcome.
What about a coin finger roll?

Hopefully you don't do the knife between the spread out fingers do you?

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
01-04-2013, 10:06 PM
(31-08-2010 09:26 AM)ebilekittae Wrote:  I'm a nineteen-year-old (twenty in less than two weeks) American student that's currently studying abroad in Japan. I plan on pursuing a Ph.D in Linguistic Morphology. I love playing music, especially the drums, and would love to get into a professional band at some point in my life. =P I tend to get into something (usually a video game universe) with all of my being, then bore of it a few weeks later and move onto something else.
I know you posted this post a couple of years ago, but I'm a junior in high school, and I'm interested in Japanese studies, particularly the culture and the History behind it. If you did achieve your goal of studying in Japan, could you perhaps tell me about your experiences there?
Domo arigatou
01-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Due to family circumstances ( I have a strict Caribbean family who doesn't take me seriously/ refuses to take me seriously), I am forced to go under pseudo - hiding.
What is psuedo - hiding? Not coming out about your self, but not concealing things that would tip people off otherwise.
I'm not going to force the situation at home, but I'm not going to hide if the truth comes out, however it may.
I became atheist last year through self realization, and found myself much more happy and free about it. I started a blog quite recently about my life as an atheist (using the same/similar usernames, and I invite you all to view it. Feel free to comment, bitch, rant on it.
My interests are as universal as languages, but my main focus as of now is Albany University (I'm a junior in high school), Japan (the culture, language, and entertainment), History (Which I'll major in) and music. I hope for bitchin' experiences here!
02-04-2013, 09:59 AM
40yo woman who has questioned all faith all her life.
Quiet in my atheism. I encourage exploration of all religions to my children and friends and then quietly point out the nonsense when appropriate.
My oldest teenager is a non practicing Christian (so far).
My youngest teen an Atheist.
My husband is a non practicing Catholic (working on that for years Wink)
Interesting household structure with plenty of good conversations! LOL
[+] 1 user Likes MEYoung's post
02-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Hello everybody. My name is docskeptic, a long time fan of Seth and TTA. I am a recovering Plymouth Brethren (since 2009). I am a physician in private practice living in the North-East. My family remains uber-religious and there were lots of fireworks when I came out of the closet in 2012. I am also the author of "Dissecting the Bible. An Inquiry into the Bible from a modern medical perspective"[attachment=1238]. Assuming that I pass muster with the administrators, I would like to start a new thread looking at the medical and biological claims in the Bible in detail. Looking forward to some interesting converstaions. Cheers!

Doc
02-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Hey all:

I've already posted some stuff here, so I figured I'd better introduce myself:

My name is Erik, and I'm a 46-year-old man who was an evangelical christian from the ages of 17 to 40. I was basically scared into the kingdom by the combination of pressure from fundamentalist friends, Bill Gothard's Basic Youth Conflicts doctrines, and Jack Chick tracts/comics.

As time went on, I became involved in various church ministries, mainly in singles' groups as an attendee or as part of the leadership team. From 1985 to 1991 I served in the Marine Corps, where I did my best to "stand for the faith" in a very wild environment. In 1996 I even helped start the first Christian student group at my secular college. I wanted to get into men's ministry as a mentor/counselor, so in 1999 I entered seminary and graduated in 2002 with a MA in Pastoral Studies (Family Ministry).

However, looking back I see that my seminary experience was the beginning of the end of my faith. I had a negative experience in 2000 while working at my church's bookstore, and seminary wasn't quite the haven of spirituality that I thought it would be. 9/11 also happened during my time at school, which introduced everyone in a rather forceful way to religious warfare.

After finishing seminary I looked around for another church and briefly ended up at a large one that had a thriving sex addiction ministry. I had visited one of their "Pure Desire" groups during my last year of seminary as part of a class project, and ended up staying there a number of months because it felt like a real place where we could talk about our issues. But in 2003 I finally became disenchanted with its depressing and negative nature, so I left both the group and the church. However, I remained involved in a Christian martial arts dojo I had began attending in 2002, where I eventually became its first Chaplain Associate and reached the rank of 2nd-degree black belt.

At my next church, I served for a time on the older singles' group leadership team, but then read Don Miller's book "Blue Like Jazz" and decided to switch to Imago Dei, the dynamic church he wrote about (many people flocked to Imago for the same reason). I got involved in the "Setup" ministry (so named because the church was renting a building, and we had to setup and take down our stuff on Sundays) and attended their nascent Men's Ministry along with a couple of small groups.

As the years went on my issues with Christianity grew deeper, but I stuggled to remain faithful. When the Dawkins and Hitchens books came out, I bought them right away so that I could challenge my faith and go deeper, but instead they created more doubts. A broken romance and subsequent falling out with my small group leader led me to my last two (interrelated) groups, where I still struggled.

Finally, after reading about the Camino Santiago pilgrimage trail in Spain, I took a leave of absence from work in the summer of 2007 and walked 500 miles across northern Spain in order to see if God would show up. However, He did not, and the more I learned about the history of the trek, the more diverse people I met on the Way, and the more I internally wrestled with my doubt and issues, the more I began to decisively move away from Christianity.

When I finished the trek, ironically after 40 days and 40 nights, I returned home in a state of conflict. I went back to church, small group, and the martial arts dojo, but I knew that I was hanging on by a thread to my faith. One night, while lying in bed, I had the epiphany that I could no longer believe in God, and verbally said so out loud. Soon after, I left Imago, announced to my small group leaders that I could no longer attend due to my loss of faith, and told my martial arts teacher that I'd left Xianity and therefore was unable to fulfill my role as instructor or Chaplain Associate in good conscience. He didn't take it well, saying that C.S. Lewis and Josh McDowell already had the answers I was seeking, and that God would use his 2X4 and lighting bolt to get me back into line.

For a couple of years I kind of drifted, reading whatever atheist books I could find. Then I began to discover the atheist podcasts and Youtube videos, which eventually led me here and inspired me to come out to my immediate family and Facebook friends (they didn't take it too well either, which is still a source of pain in my life). I'm still trying to define how my atheism looks, but I'm grateful that these kinds of resources are available for my edification and learning! Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist_pilgrim's post
02-04-2013, 01:29 PM
(02-04-2013 01:17 PM)Atheist_pilgrim Wrote:  Hey all:

I've already posted some stuff here, so I figured I'd better introduce myself:

My name is Erik, and I'm a 46-year-old man who was an evangelical christian from the ages of 17 to 40. I was basically scared into the kingdom by the combination of pressure from fundamentalist friends, Bill Gothard's Basic Youth Conflicts doctrines, and Jack Chick tracts/comics.

As time went on, I became involved in various church ministries, mainly in singles' groups as an attendee or as part of the leadership team. From 1985 to 1991 I served in the Marine Corps, where I did my best to "stand for the faith" in a very wild environment. In 1996 I even helped start the first Christian student group at my secular college. I wanted to get into men's ministry as a mentor/counselor, so in 1999 I entered seminary and graduated in 2002 with a MA in Pastoral Studies (Family Ministry).

However, looking back I see that my seminary experience was the beginning of the end of my faith. I had a negative experience in 2000 while working at my church's bookstore, and seminary wasn't quite the haven of spirituality that I thought it would be. 9/11 also happened during my time at school, which introduced everyone in a rather forceful way to religious warfare.

After finishing seminary I looked around for another church and briefly ended up at a large one that had a thriving sex addiction ministry. I had visited one of their "Pure Desire" groups during my last year of seminary as part of a class project, and ended up staying there a number of months because it felt like a real place where we could talk about our issues. But in 2003 I finally became disenchanted with its depressing and negative nature, so I left both the group and the church. However, I remained involved in a Christian martial arts dojo I had began attending in 2002, where I eventually became its first Chaplain Associate and reached the rank of 2nd-degree black belt.

At my next church, I served for a time on the older singles' group leadership team, but then read Don Miller's book "Blue Like Jazz" and decided to switch to Imago Dei, the dynamic church he wrote about (many people flocked to Imago for the same reason). I got involved in the "Setup" ministry (so named because the church was renting a building, and we had to setup and take down our stuff on Sundays) and attended their nascent Men's Ministry along with a couple of small groups.

As the years went on my issues with Christianity grew deeper, but I stuggled to remain faithful. When the Dawkins and Hitchens books came out, I bought them right away so that I could challenge my faith and go deeper, but instead they created more doubts. A broken romance and subsequent falling out with my small group leader led me to my last two (interrelated) groups, where I still struggled.

Finally, after reading about the Camino Santiago pilgrimage trail in Spain, I took a leave of absence from work in the summer of 2007 and walked 500 miles across northern Spain in order to see if God would show up. However, He did not, and the more I learned about the history of the trek, the more diverse people I met on the Way, and the more I internally wrestled with my doubt and issues, the more I began to decisively move away from Christianity.

When I finished the trek, ironically after 40 days and 40 nights, I returned home in a state of conflict. I went back to church, small group, and the martial arts dojo, but I knew that I was hanging on by a thread to my faith. One night, while lying in bed, I had the epiphany that I could no longer believe in God, and verbally said so out loud. Soon after, I left Imago, announced to my small group leaders that I could no longer attend due to my loss of faith, and told my martial arts teacher that I'd left Xianity and therefore was unable to fulfill my role as instructor or Chaplain Associate in good conscience. He didn't take it well, saying that C.S. Lewis and Josh McDowell already had the answers I was seeking, and that God would use his 2X4 and lighting bolt to get me back into line.

For a couple of years I kind of drifted, reading whatever atheist books I could find. Then I began to discover the atheist podcasts and Youtube videos, which eventually led me here and inspired me to come out to my immediate family and Facebook friends (they didn't take it too well either, which is still a source of pain in my life). I'm still trying to define how my atheism looks, but I'm grateful that these kinds of resources are available for my edification and learning! Smile

Welcome. Quite some pilgrimage.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-04-2013, 02:22 PM
New here! My name is Michael and I am a married (not open) christian. I say christian becuase I do buy into most of the doctrine however, there are many things I do not agree with that comes out of the "good book"
I tend to be open minded and take a scientific approch to most things in my life, which is why I do not blindly buy into the entire bible.
I work in a production faculity and currently run the graveyard shift. Lets see, umm I have 3 kids, all girls, so in about 10 years I am screwed. Dodgy
Can't think of anything else for now...
I did some lerking around and I think this forum will be perfect for me as it seems most of you have open minds and think deeply about life and things pertaining to it. Oh and not to worry, I do not try to shove my beliefs down anyone's face hole.

You can argue with logic all you want, but if you put faulty data in to start with then you get a faulty answer. No matter how logically you agrue it.
02-04-2013, 02:42 PM
(02-04-2013 02:22 PM)Mynamesukx Wrote:  New here! My name is Michael and I am a married (not open) christian. I say christian becuase I do buy into most of the doctrine however, there are many things I do not agree with that comes out of the "good book"
I tend to be open minded and take a scientific approch to most things in my life, which is why I do not blindly buy into the entire bible.
I work in a production faculity and currently run the graveyard shift. Lets see, umm I have 3 kids, all girls, so in about 10 years I am screwed. Dodgy
Can't think of anything else for now...
I did some lerking around and I think this forum will be perfect for me as it seems most of you have open minds and think deeply about life and things pertaining to it. Oh and not to worry, I do not try to shove my beliefs down anyone's face hole.

Welcome. We can help you shed the rest of that pestiferous doctrine.Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user