Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
01-05-2013, 11:49 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I'm retired, age 64, and I've been an atheist for over 20 years. I was raised a devout Protestant (Congregational), but once I went away to college and discovered John Stuart Mill, Bertrand Russell and a long list of other free thinkers I began to realize just how limiting my Christian beliefs were. Now, the more I read and think and study the more firm I am in my rejection of religion.

Not sure that qualifies as atheism in its purest sense - while I also reject the notion of a magical superbeing in control of the universe, I'm more agnostic on that notion than I am the puerile ideas held by modern Western religion. I suppose I can be an atheist on religion and an agnostic on God, right? Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ethan66's post
01-05-2013, 12:10 PM
(01-05-2013 11:49 AM)ethan66 Wrote:  I'm retired, age 64, and I've been an atheist for over 20 years. I was raised a devout Protestant (Congregational), but once I went away to college and discovered John Stuart Mill, Bertrand Russell and a long list of other free thinkers I began to realize just how limiting my Christian beliefs were. Now, the more I read and think and study the more firm I am in my rejection of religion.

Not sure that qualifies as atheism in its purest sense - while I also reject the notion of a magical superbeing in control of the universe, I'm more agnostic on that notion than I am the puerile ideas held by modern Western religion. I suppose I can be an atheist on religion and an agnostic on God, right? Smile

I like that your age is 2^6... My Dad and Mum are both 2^6 - 2^2... Welcome Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
01-05-2013, 02:48 PM
(01-05-2013 01:22 AM)dixiereprobate Wrote:  Bragg is precisely where we're headed, Grassy Knoll; won't be long now. Are you local?

Big Grin Cool!!!

Yes it's where I live but I'm out of town for work most of the time. You'll find a good local group here http://www.cncah.org/

The founder of http://usamash.org/ is also local. He's a cool guy.

Join us for a "critical drinking" meetup some time Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post
01-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Lightbulb RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi all,

I'm a 34 (almost) year-old woman living in the mountains west of Denver, CO. I've been an atheist for my whole adult life. I was raised by semi-religious parents, but we weren't indoctrinated really. I tend to think that I never really believed in a god, but I can't say that with certainty. I spent a couple of years in high school trying to "embrace" Christianity, mostly as a social thing and because I thought it was the "right thing to be." But, it didn't take. I guess I couldn't swallow all the B.S. (thanks in part to concurrently studying evolution in biology class).

More accurately, I think I could describe myself as an anti-theist, but that development has only really come about in the last couple of years. I came out publicly about 6 months ago, and I've become much more outspoken as a result. I LOVE TTA, and I'm looking forward to making my first forum foray here!

Yours in Mocking Christ,
Brooke

Psalm 137:9
[+] 3 users Like MountainHeathen's post
02-05-2013, 08:04 AM
(30-04-2013 08:16 AM)Apikoros Wrote:  So much for one more Christian religion of love. No sense of humility nor mercy nor (especially) irony.

Yeah, I know. The people i have known in the religion have been good people, for the most part. But the religion itself is highly problematic in so many ways.

Quote:Come to sites like this one. At least they're sources of reason.

I know. I went to a support site for Ex-JWs once, and over half the people there had exchanged one delusion for another. I got frustrated and never went back.

Quote:I'm so glad to be a Jew. Letting go seems much easier to do when there is no tenuous connection to "Jesus". This really tears up people who feel like they're "betraying" something even after admitting non-belief. Plus, I get the benefits of all the best parts of Hebrew culture w/o those burdonsome 613 mitzvot (commandments) enjoined upon believers.

Yay for being able to eat bacon!

There's the minor issue of having somewhat mutilated dangly bits, but half the Christians end up doing that, too.
[+] 1 user Likes CompletelySolo's post
02-05-2013, 08:15 AM
(02-05-2013 08:04 AM)CompletelySolo Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 08:16 AM)Apikoros Wrote:  So much for one more Christian religion of love. No sense of humility nor mercy nor (especially) irony.

Yeah, I know. The people i have known in the religion have been good people, for the most part. But the religion itself is highly problematic in so many ways.

Quote:Come to sites like this one. At least they're sources of reason.

I know. I went to a support site for Ex-JWs once, and over half the people there had exchanged one delusion for another. I got frustrated and never went back.

Quote:I'm so glad to be a Jew. Letting go seems much easier to do when there is no tenuous connection to "Jesus". This really tears up people who feel like they're "betraying" something even after admitting non-belief. Plus, I get the benefits of all the best parts of Hebrew culture w/o those burdonsome 613 mitzvot (commandments) enjoined upon believers.

Yay for being able to eat bacon!

There's the minor issue of having somewhat mutilated dangly bits, but half the Christians end up doing that, too.

Bacon, chzburgers, pernil, etc. Thumbsup

They clipped me. I survived. I don't miss it, but I'm still jealous.

As SS. Tommy & Cheech said: I used to be all messed up on drugs. Now I'm all messed up on Jesus.

The best Christians I have ever known were my mother's relatives. Never once did I hear a deprecatory word, nor conversionist sentiment, no pity. Just the love of blood relatives for each other. No one ever walked away hungry or in need from either of my parents' families. Good, kind people. Exemplary human beings.

Even so, god-belief is a curse; a blight on our species.

Michael G.
COGITO ERGO DEVS NON EST
[+] 2 users Like Apikoros's post
02-05-2013, 08:17 AM
(02-05-2013 08:15 AM)Apikoros Wrote:  They clipped me. I survived. I don't miss it, but I'm still jealous.

Ha. Well, if it makes you feel better, a woman I know anecdotally believes that clipped men get more BJs. YMMV.
02-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Photo RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(02-05-2013 08:17 AM)CompletelySolo Wrote:  Ha. Well, if it makes you feel better, a woman I know anecdotally believes that clipped men get more BJs. YMMV.

It depends on where you live. In Bosnywash , Chicago, Los Angeles, Montreal, Toronto, there are more women accustomed to circumcised men. In small towns, prolly not so much. No

Michael G.
COGITO ERGO DEVS NON EST
02-05-2013, 08:26 AM
(01-05-2013 04:48 PM)MountainHeathen Wrote:  I LOVE TTA, and I'm looking forward to making my first forum foray here!

Yours in Mocking Christ,
Brooke

Brooke, I just got here myself and I think this may be a good place to hang out. Consider

Michael G.
COGITO ERGO DEVS NON EST
[+] 1 user Likes Apikoros's post
02-05-2013, 08:32 AM
(02-05-2013 08:21 AM)Apikoros Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 08:17 AM)CompletelySolo Wrote:  Ha. Well, if it makes you feel better, a woman I know anecdotally believes that clipped men get more BJs. YMMV.

It depends on where you live. In Bosnywash , Chicago, Los Angeles, Montreal, Toronto, there are more women accustomed to circumcised men. In small towns, prolly not so much. No

I'm in the megacity of southern ontario loosely known as the Extended Greater Toronto Area... so that may have influenced the comment.