Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
02-05-2013, 08:56 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(02-05-2013 08:26 AM)Apikoros Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 04:48 PM)MountainHeathen Wrote:  I LOVE TTA, and I'm looking forward to making my first forum foray here!

Yours in Mocking Christ,
Brooke

Brooke, I just got here myself and I think this may be a good place to hang out. Consider

Glad to meet you! I like your signature. Nobody knows Latin anymore...

Psalm 137:9
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2013, 09:04 AM
(02-05-2013 08:32 AM)CompletelySolo Wrote:  I'm in the megacity of southern ontario loosely known as the Extended Greater Toronto Area... so that may have influenced the comment.

I shouldn't wonder ...Big Grin

Michael G.
COGITO ERGO DEVS NON EST
02-05-2013, 09:46 AM
(02-05-2013 08:56 AM)MountainHeathen Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 08:26 AM)Apikoros Wrote:  Brooke, I just got here myself and I think this may be a good place to hang out. Consider

Glad to meet you! I like your signature. Nobody knows Latin anymore...

I'm a half-assed polyglot. Blush My handle is Hebrew, I wisecrack in Spiddish (Spanish and Yiddish) and aquí se habla español puro.

Michael G.
COGITO ERGO DEVS NON EST
02-05-2013, 10:55 AM
I am a 31 y/o male currently serving in the Army. I come from a Christian home and I can say I felt different then anyone in my family because I just couldn't understand what I was being taught. As a young kid I thought it was fun going to the camps and group things but as I got older more and more I began to question or be skeptical on what I was being taught. In fact a lot of my views on life in gerneral just doesn't fit.
I also suffer from PTSD and mild depression which my father claims going to group meetings or seeing a psychiatrist is just "hogwash" and that I am suffering because I don't go to church or pray or read the Bible. It has nothing to do with my multipule deployments and nightmares apparently...
Anyway, I came here to interact and find more of the people that fit into my catergory so if you have a similar situation or story you can share with me, feel free to PM me..

Lighthouses are more helpful then churches. — Benjamin Franklin
02-05-2013, 10:23 PM
I feel like I might get lost in the sea of introductions here, but here goes!

I don't know why I didn't think of something like this earlier, I have been alone in my atheism for years and never have had anyone to talk to (besides my unwilling facebook friendsWink I'm a young, atheist, liberal geologist in the wonderful EXTREMELY RED state of Wyoming...where only the geologist part gains me any popularity.

I come from a Christian family from the bible belt, where I was brainwashed until high school that god's will was the only way, blah blah blah. I hated every second of it, and I didn't realize I was an atheist and that religion was bogus until I started university and listening to Seth's podcast.

The funny but incredibly sad part of my story is that my brother and his wife and 4 kids are creationists. Yep. Creationists. I am extremely pro-science, evolution, deep time, cuz I'm a geologist for pete's sake...and my brother is a creationist. Imagine those dinner table conversations Smile I learned early on you can't argue with stupid, and you certainly got reason with magic, so I just stopped going to the dinner table period.

Looking forward to chatting with you wonderful people, I hope you can accept this wayward geologist looking for a home.
03-05-2013, 05:01 AM
Well here it goes. I have lurked a little on here and find reading most of the posts very emotional. I have existed on other forums before but except for the occasional accident or death of a forum member, the conversations rarely enter the deep zone of emotion from people wanting to be accepted and understood.
I am in no financial position to out myself as an atheist. I have a wife and kids that rely on my small business in this nice little town we live in. In an area of roughly 4-5000 people, there are seemingly one church for every three people. To say the least, my business would be shunned.

I was raised baptist. My mother came from a very religious and socially screwed up family. She luckily married my father after her first husband killed himself. He was raised baptist as well but, he, like my uncle, hated church. They never gave a care for anything religious and talked about people based on what kind of person they were, how hard they worked, if they were honest. A stark difference to my mother and her family who constantly talked about church this and bless that and you know the type.

My wife and I have gone to church a few times, mostly when our kids were very young, but it just didn't seem right.
[+] 1 user Likes T.H.'s post
03-05-2013, 10:41 AM
I am a 40 year old Atheist currently serving in the Army, I have been out from under the tyranny of the church since I was about 12 years old. Thought this would be a good way to meet other like minded individuals...
03-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Hello Everyone
I'm a 44 year old male living in Bakersfield, California. I recently converted to atheism. I haven't told my family or friends about it yet. I don't feel comfortable talking to religious people or theists about my non-belief at this stage of my development. That's why I joined this forum. I'm looking forward to meeting like-minded individuals.
04-05-2013, 02:15 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2013 02:50 AM by GirlyMan.)
We've been negligent in welcoming the newcomers to the MonkeyHouse.Welcome, and throw your feces judiciously. Big Grin

"COGITO ERGO DEVS NON EST"

I think therefore there are no gods? ... I think I like it if I read it right. ... Hell I think I like it even if I don't read it right.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-05-2013, 02:48 AM
Welcome, newcomers Smile

Hope you enjoy yourselves here Thumbsup

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)