Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
27-09-2013, 10:23 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Just a quick hello to you all. My name is Michelle. I am 39 years old, from Nashville, TN. I left religion a little over two years ago and have never been happier.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Alright, another fellow Tennessean! Woot!

Welcome.

27-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks, Dark Light! Smile
27-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Hi I'm Emily, very new to using a forum, still trying to figure it all out. I grew up in a home where religion wasn't talked about much, but I made friends with a girl from a very religious family. Went to church sometimes as much as three times a week, went to Sunday school, participated in Awana, went to a summer church camp etc.

At the time I considered myself a believer, and enjoyed the nice stories they told. Looking back now as an adult, I realize I believed in god, but didn't buy into most of the bible stories. Noah being over 600 years old, having every animal on his boat, the entire earth flooding, an after life, praying and getting answers, etc. I remember being told that when we died, jesus had a castle waiting for each of us, filled with treasures. I remember thinking "suuuure *wink wink nudge nudge*. I assumed that everyone else (especially of course the adults) knew just like I did that it wasn't anything more than a nice story. I eventually realized I was wrong. I always felt strongly from a young age, that when we die, that's it. I was always confused when I'd tell these things to my friends and they'd look at me like I was crazy!

I never gave my belief much thought, just went on with my life, and slowly stopped going to church. Later as an adult, I married my best friend, who is a non-practicing christian (at this time I was already an admitted atheist for a few years). We went to church with his family for Easter and Christmas, and I still enjoyed going because their messages were usually so positive. It wasn't until I started learning more about religion, trying to examine my beliefs in depth, and how I felt about religion that I discovered how awful and harmful it can be to everything it touches. I also started to learn much more about the lies and inconsistencies in the bible. It was a new awakening, a confirmation of my feelings throughout my childhood.

My family and my husband's family know about my atheism, but I am very modest about it. Religion almost never comes up in my circles, but everyone I know (except my dad who is agnostic) is a believer. I much prefer it this way, because I love my family and friends very much, and prefer to avoid the conflict.

Looking forward to getting to know you all,
Emily
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
28-09-2013, 02:23 AM
(27-09-2013 10:00 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Hi I'm Emily, very new to using a forum, still trying to figure it all out. I grew up in a home where religion wasn't talked about much, but I made friends with a girl from a very religious family. Went to church sometimes as much as three times a week, went to Sunday school, participated in Awana, went to a summer church camp etc.

At the time I considered myself a believer, and enjoyed the nice stories they told. Looking back now as an adult, I realize I believed in god, but didn't buy into most of the bible stories. Noah being over 600 years old, having every animal on his boat, the entire earth flooding, an after life, praying and getting answers, etc. I remember being told that when we died, jesus had a castle waiting for each of us, filled with treasures. I remember thinking "suuuure *wink wink nudge nudge*. I assumed that everyone else (especially of course the adults) knew just like I did that it wasn't anything more than a nice story. I eventually realized I was wrong. I always felt strongly from a young age, that when we die, that's it. I was always confused when I'd tell these things to my friends and they'd look at me like I was crazy!

I never gave my belief much thought, just went on with my life, and slowly stopped going to church. Later as an adult, I married my best friend, who is a non-practicing christian (at this time I was already an admitted atheist for a few years). We went to church with his family for Easter and Christmas, and I still enjoyed going because their messages were usually so positive. It wasn't until I started learning more about religion, trying to examine my beliefs in depth, and how I felt about religion that I discovered how awful and harmful it can be to everything it touches. I also started to learn much more about the lies and inconsistencies in the bible. It was a new awakening, a confirmation of my feelings throughout my childhood.

My family and my husband's family know about my atheism, but I am very modest about it. Religion almost never comes up in my circles, but everyone I know (except my dad who is agnostic) is a believer. I much prefer it this way, because I love my family and friends very much, and prefer to avoid the conflict.

Looking forward to getting to know you all,
Emily

Hello Emily
28-09-2013, 06:21 AM
Does TA have a QR code?
30-09-2013, 01:12 PM
I am a 49 year old IT geek. I love writing, film, music and individual combat sports. I made the decision to stop living the lie of a believer about 2 - 3 years ago. I am the only freethinker in a houseful of believers. Hence I stumbled upon TTA as a refuge wherein I can become more educated and speak my mind among like-minded people. Happy to be here.

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED"
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
30-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Hey folks...after being a skeptic my entire life...finally had the nerve to accept it for myself...about 10 years ago. But, just recently "came out" about it.

I wanted to reach out to the community, as you all played an integral role in my understanding of WHAT I was…I have already spent the last couple decades figuring out WHO I was. You didn't know it...but people like you helped me come to terms with everything, as I lurked. I may be an odd duck…but I am one of those non-believers who never actually bought in at any point. My parents tried, forcing me to church…I was in the youth group, hell…I was a leader at church camps. I recall sitting on a rocky ledge overlooking a small lake, very late at night. I looked up at the stars, and prayed, “God…I’m right here…why have I never heard you?” Of course…I know why, now. Eventually, I accepted that there was a God, but didn’t pay any attention. In my 20’s, I decided to try harder…and seek the truth. I was tired of being the quietly skeptical outsider, and I was going to find…the truth. I knew if God was the truth, any search would invariably lead me to him. An objective search for truth only ends one way, and meeting Seth in DC at the “support group” meeting the other nightt…you can infer at which truth I arrived.

Thus, I have always known WHO I was…but had no idea What I was. I was a science teacher in a rural Texas town up until this year. I had to watch my FaceBook posts, what I said, what pages I liked, etc…knowing the food on my family’s table was at the mercy of superstitious hillbillies. So again…I was trapped in a mask, so to speak. Then I found TTA on YouTube, and The Thinking Atheist site, a few years ago, plus Thunderf00t and his science in your face attitude, which obviously appeals to me greatly. I always figured there were others out there…but I didn’t realize it was a true community…full of people that get it, and who have been through or are going through the snubbing so many of us experience.

I own 5 books on skepticism. DEconverted, purchased from Seth last Friday…and 4 from the Christian standpoint (It takes more faith to be an atheist, etc.) from my family and friends. Sadly, instead of trying to understand it…they try to reel me back in.

In short…THANKS for letting me (us) know there are more of us…we’re not freaks…and there is support.

My WLC said WHAAAAAAAT? face...

Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata...hiding amongst the candy...hoping the kids don't break through with the stick!

---Master Tang---
[+] 1 user Likes LunchBox's post
30-09-2013, 08:17 PM
I'm 33. I am married and have two young girls. I write software for a living.

I was raised Lutheran, but stopped believing about three years ago.
30-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Hello, I'm Jasna, a *cough* year old women and I'm a natural born atheist. But I only figured that out about 14 years ago.Smartass
Before that, I thought that I was to stupid to understand the religious things, almost everybody around me seemed to go with it easily. But I'm bad at maths too, so I didn't bother.
Now, I'm a proud atheist...but only when I'm at home or on the internet. Because I'm surrounded by softcorechristians.
As long as I didn't care about religion (or should I say didn't know about atheism?) it was very easy for me to pretended.
I followed their folding hands ritual and pretended praying before eating Angel, I went to churches for weddings or other "christian partys" even though I always hated these sinister buildings.
But since I know that my non-belief isn't just a weird trick of nature I sometimes feel like I can't do this anymore. But i don't think being equiped yet to stand to my non-belief. I don't know any atheist in real life. I can't even get atheist books in my local bookstore. So here I am, hoping to find some cold in this hell that I'm supposed to burn in and maybe learn how to be effectively what I am. Wink
I hope you'll excuse my grammar, english isn't my first language. Blush
[+] 2 users Like Jas's post