Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
03-12-2013, 04:58 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(03-12-2013 03:45 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Hello new ppl. So rgp95 head banger like ELK ?

yeah Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2013, 04:59 AM
Welcome to the forum, ft. Hope you find this place entertaining.

03-12-2013, 01:39 PM
I've been an Atheist for most of my life, but I've just started to look into the culture surrounding it. I am currently living in North Carolina, surrounded by churches and bible-thumpers. I told a group of people at work that I'm an Atheist and nthey looked shocked. My parents can barely tolerate me, and I have to live with them at the moment.
https://www.facebook.com/brad.f.huggins
03-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Hi. Can't believe it's taken me this long to come across this site actually, been watching the youtube site for ages. Anyhoo, good to see the site has a lot going on and embraces the fact that atheists can actually have very little in common other than a lack of belief in certain fairy tales Wink

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
03-12-2013, 08:16 PM
Hi,

My name is Scott, i thought i'd come and say hi to everyone, looking forward to getting involve in some posts.

Cheers,

Scott.
03-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the forum!

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
03-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Hi, The Thinking Atheist came to my attention via Twitter, I follow a few notable atheists and was pointed at this forum by some of the tweets I received. I grew up in a very religious family, my father was a methodist preacher and my sister is now married to a Church of England minister. I went to church three times on Sundays until I was 14, morning service, afternoon sunday school and then evening service, I was also sent to bible study lessons on thursday evenings. Somehow the indoctrination that I received did not work on me and when I announced to my family that I was an atheist, to their credit they accepted it. My mother told me much later that it had hurt my father badly but he never discussed it with me. I recall on one occasion he told me that he thought Fred Hoyle, the astronomer was 'an idiot' because of his atheism rather than his 'Steady state universe' theories. It was not until middle age that my atheism blossomed into a full on hard core atheism and a growing realisation that religion in general is at the heart of many societal and personal problems. I spend half of my time in Mumbai and half of my time in Rural Southern France, I occasionally visit England. I love nature and am a keen photographer. I am a chemical engineer by trade.
04-12-2013, 11:27 AM
at least 3rd generation atheist, silver surfer, retired.
Geographically I live in the ideal location for a nontheist rationalist.
1.5 miles from the Greenwich Observatory and the 0 degree longitude prime meridian. Very close to Henry VIII's (founder of the Anglican church) favourite Palace.
Less than a 0.5 mile South of the Thames Barrier.
5 miles due north of Downe House, long time home of Charles Darwin.
7.5 mile East of John Snow's Broad Street pump.
I only visit religious buildings out of historical, architectural interest except for the very occasional HMD ( Hatching, matching or dispatching's) most of which have been mainly purely civil ceremonies.
Never heard voices, never felt any presence.
After growing out of Santa and the tooth fairy any lingering doubts of the supernatural were dispelled after reading Huxley, Orwell, and Vonnegut.
04-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Hi there, just introducing myself. I'm from the UK and am 28, have always been agnostic i guess but now feel it important to acknowledge the extreme likelihood there is no divine power.

The way i see it i had an imaginary friend when i was younger called Lenny. He left my head aged about four when I realized two imaginary friends, alongside a need to add tangible real friends, was a high maintenance balance to maintain. He was elbowed out of my imagination by the other invisible friend, a case of bad winning over good given that my other imaginary friend was a jealous, vindictive, misogynistic, homophobic, racist, genocidal bully. I guess it was peer pressure that made me choose Jesus over Lenny. When I reached the age of reason, about aged 8, Jesus also got flung onto the scrapheap also.

The point is that a large proportion of the world’s population are happy to keep that one imaginary friend for their entire lifetime, which seems like a disorder of sorts. Religion brainwashes us, controls us, divides us, and restricts our growth as a species. Any faith not based on evidence seems ludicrous and it seems undeniable that if you think there’s a man up in the sky keeping score of everything you do then you can’t be entirely sane.

I've just finished reading a book that's worth checking out - features an atheist revolutionary politician. The books are called the chronicles of hope and i think the first chapter is free on the website, worth checking out as the speech on religion in that chapter is genius[/align]
04-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Hi everyone. I've been listening to the podcasts for a month or so. I was raised in a religious home. Went to religious schools my entire life. I am new to atheism, real science, and the like. I would appreciate any advice, book recommendations, and just general conversation. I am very happy to be here and look forward to learning more every day.

Matt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Shocked I am just going to introduce myself and start things off light. Dru Denizen 17 556 13-01-2014 04:05 AM
Last Post: Dee
  Introduce Myself Nevillean 1 208 23-06-2013 07:56 AM
Last Post: morondog
  [split] Introduce Yourself HERE! Thinking Mom's Letter thinkingmom 8 579 10-06-2013 01:53 PM
Last Post: viocjit
  Derailed :D[split] Introduce Yourself HERE! hylonome 81 3,887 27-08-2012 12:14 AM
Last Post: Atothetheist
  Please allow me to introduce myself Caveman 12 717 29-03-2012 07:22 AM
Last Post: kingschosen
  Can I Introduce Myself Video3tech 24 1,717 27-03-2012 11:36 PM
Last Post: aurora
Big Grin Hello everyone! I'd like to introduce myself! justacityboy 24 2,604 26-05-2010 07:12 PM
Last Post: Unbeliever