Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
20-04-2014, 08:25 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I'm Jen and I'm 17 years old. I've been an atheist now for five years, but only one of my siblings knows about it and I only just told him last Christmas. I've been watching TTA podcasts for a couple of years now along with other videos from other YouTubers. A lot of time I feel alone because everyone around me believes in God and I don't, but I just don't buy it. My reasoning was that everyone knows that Zeus and the other Greek gods aren't real, yet somehow they believe that their one and only God is real. At least in my mind it would be more likely for multiple gods to exist than just one, but it is most likely that no gods exist at all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Kippz214's post
20-04-2014, 08:31 AM
(20-04-2014 08:25 AM)Kippz214 Wrote:  I'm Jen and I'm 17 years old. I've been an atheist now for five years, but only one of my siblings knows about it and I only just told him last Christmas. I've been watching TTA podcasts for a couple of years now along with other videos from other YouTubers. A lot of time I feel alone because everyone around me believes in God and I don't, but I just don't buy it. My reasoning was that everyone knows that Zeus and the other Greek gods aren't real, yet somehow they believe that their one and only God is real. At least in my mind it would be more likely for multiple gods to exist than just one, but it is most likely that no gods exist at all.

Welcome. This is a good place to come to talk when you don't have anything but believers around you.

[Image: welcome.gif]

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
20-04-2014, 08:32 AM
(20-04-2014 08:25 AM)Kippz214 Wrote:  I'm Jen and I'm 17 years old. I've been an atheist now for five years, but only one of my siblings knows about it and I only just told him last Christmas. I've been watching TTA podcasts for a couple of years now along with other videos from other YouTubers. A lot of time I feel alone because everyone around me believes in God and I don't, but I just don't buy it. My reasoning was that everyone knows that Zeus and the other Greek gods aren't real, yet somehow they believe that their one and only God is real. At least in my mind it would be more likely for multiple gods to exist than just one, but it is most likely that no gods exist at all.

Welcome! Glad you're here.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
20-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Hey Jen,

My name is Steven, and like you I am 17 years old (just turned 17 a couple days ago). I too was alone when I had come to the conclusion that there was no good evidence for God (or any other supernatural being). In a sense, I still am alone in the real life, but when I had really began to participate on this forum, I realized that this was a fantastic community to settle down in, and I have no doubts that you will find it fantastic as well.

Five years of isolation is a long time, and I am glad you are here. Personally, I can't get enough of the teens that join. It's awesome to see so many of my peers breaking and shrugging off the chains of religion and embracing free thought. Are you out? Are you public?

I came out during the time of the Reason Rally, and I've been public about it ever since. I feel that one of the toughest things about being an atheist is the loneliness that naturally happens when surrounded by theists. This is naturally enhanced when you are a teenage atheist, who's, at this time, social life is a big facet. I think you will benefit greatly from this forum, as you will be able to express yourself freely (nice intro by the way).

If you ever need someone to talk to, I am always one PM away. We even have a teen section, in case you need to talk to others around your age!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
20-04-2014, 11:18 AM
(20-04-2014 09:02 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
Hey Jen,

My name is Steven, and like you I am 17 years old (just turned 17 a couple days ago). I too was alone when I had come to the conclusion that there was no good evidence for God (or any other supernatural being). In a sense, I still am alone in the real life, but when I had really began to participate on this forum, I realized that this was a fantastic community to settle down in, and I have no doubts that you will find it fantastic as well.

Five years of isolation is a long time, and I am glad you are here. Personally, I can't get enough of the teens that join. It's awesome to see so many of my peers breaking and shrugging off the chains of religion and embracing free thought. Are you out? Are you public?

I came out during the time of the Reason Rally, and I've been public about it ever since. I feel that one of the toughest things about being an atheist is the loneliness that naturally happens when surrounded by theists. This is naturally enhanced when you are a teenage atheist, who's, at this time, social life is a big facet. I think you will benefit greatly from this forum, as you will be able to express yourself freely (nice intro by the way).

If you ever need someone to talk to, I am always one PM away. We even have a teen section, in case you need to talk to others around your age!

Hey Steven,
The only people who currently know that I'm an atheist are my closest friends and one of my brothers. I'm scared to come out to my parents. They're already against some of the other decisions I've made with my life like where I want to go to college and what I want to study. I feel like I keep on pretending to be someone else. At least on here, I can be myself.
20-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Wink RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi!

I'm João from Portugal.
I'm very happy to be here, finally... I love this community.
I've been listening to TTA for a couple of years in an uninterrupted way.

I guess that's all... Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-04-2014, 03:20 PM
(20-04-2014 11:18 AM)Kippz214 Wrote:  
(20-04-2014 09:02 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Hey Jen,

Hey Steven,
The only people who currently know that I'm an atheist are my closest friends and one of my brothers. I'm scared to come out to my parents. They're already against some of the other decisions I've made with my life like where I want to go to college and what I want to study. I feel like I keep on pretending to be someone else. At least on here, I can be myself.

Well, if you ever have any questions, or if you feel like you just need to talk to someone about something, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM. We teens need to stick together!

I wish you well, and I welcome you into the community here!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
24-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Well hello all. I'm a 46 year old Atheist from England. I guess you could say that thanks to my upbringing I've had reasonably agnostic tendencies my whole life but have probably thought of myself as Atheist since my teenage years. I've dipped in and out of the TTA Facebook and youtube pages for a the last year or so but in the last few weeks I've started listening to the podcasts from the beginning.

The odd thing is that growing up here religion seemed to me to be done mostly because it's the cultural norm but in recent years have noticed religion trying to take more of a stranglehold over this country's affairs (probably something for discussion elsewhere) but I've also noticed that, despite the ridicule that extreme religion gets here more and more I'm being picked up for being "angry" when I question the norm.

Assuming I ever get the time I think I might enjoy talking to some of the folks on here!
25-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Hello all. My name is Robert and I'm a former atheist and now a Christian creationist.
I'm not here to make atheists wrong. I'm here to add a different voice to the conversation.
25-04-2014, 11:49 AM
(25-04-2014 11:15 AM)Robert Sparks Wrote:  Hello all. My name is Robert and I'm a former atheist and now a Christian creationist.
I'm not here to make atheists wrong. I'm here to add a different voice to the conversation.

I wish you good luck.

[Image: seals-russian-river-jenner-ca-2.jpg]

[Image: hyena_icon_large_by_griffsnuff-d3juy9l.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post