Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
13-09-2010, 05:09 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Welcome to TTAF, cheez! Glad to have you with us. And glad to see that your school failed to blind you.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2010, 05:32 PM

Hi Cheez Smile. I enjoyed reading your long story so no worries. I like listening to how people transition from the dark side.
I feel bad for you having actually been taught creationism in school. *ick* I think being taught both evolution and creationism then letting the person decide is nonsense though, because there is no science behind creationism. That's like being taught both the Popol Vuh (the creation story of the Maya) and evolution and letting you decide which makes sense to you...one is myth, one is science. Better yet, let's teach HarryPotterism and evolution. Smile
And I'm not trying to be disagreeable here but, you said you were baptized by choice at 10 which I disagree with. A 10 year old has no idea what it means to choose their religion for themselves.
Congrats on your new found freedom and just be prepared to meet the opposition head on. They can be mean and nasty and can push some of those old religious buttons (like the guilt, or maybe that's just me, being raised Catholic and all, lol.) Welcome!
Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2010, 05:36 PM

Whatever I wrote when I was enrolled at that school was meant to carefully tiptoe around creating alarm from the teacher. Of course I did not really want to be taught anti-evolution at all, but unfortunately I was in fact acknowleding that the school was going to teach it no matter what I said, and that for me to say it shouldn't be taught would be equivalent to admitting I was unsure about or against it which would've caused the teacher to bring my mom in for a conference or whatever. Also, I absolutely agree with you on my baptizing by choice, while I did it of my own accord, I chose it because I was pressured to, and nothing more.
13-09-2010, 05:47 PM

I understand, was just putting in my two cents, lol. I never understood the craziness that goes on at those Christian schools until I befriended a someone like yourself. That and Christian homeschooling scare me, lol. Glad to hear you broke free. peace!
13-09-2010, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2010 07:40 PM by No J..)
cheezisgoooood.

Your answer is is fine. You have to let it out and you have to be understood. I understand you perfectly. I didn't suffer that crap in school but there where a lot of religious people to deal with. I became an atheist in a similar fashion to you.

Example:
Me, "Show me the proof."
Christian, "Blah, blah, blah."
Me, "That isn't proof, that is just plain stupid."

Sunshine

I like your referrance to 'the dark side.' Very fitting.
Find all posts by this user
13-09-2010, 11:47 PM

cheezisgoooood, yes, as No J. said, you're answer was fine. I didn't mean what you said was nonsense, I meant the Christians trying to teach creationism in public schools is. I didn't realize it may have come across that way. I'm so much better at communicating IRL. I'm new to the forum thing. So, just wanted to make that clear. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Sunshine's post
14-09-2010, 12:27 AM
(30-08-2010 10:44 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I'm a fat guy from from England who draws dolphins and plans to marry one

Don't marry a dolphin. Marriage is, at least in part, religious rite. Live in sin with the dolphin and you will make a bigger statement against religion.Tongue
14-09-2010, 07:55 PM

[/quote]

I don't agree with this statement. Replace 'everyone' with 'most people' and I will toyally agree.
[/quote]

I understand what you're saying; I've had students like that too. I did say anyone could make music, but I didn't say everyone could do it well. Wink
18-09-2010, 07:51 PM

Hello I am a 17 year old Jamaican kid that used to hate god but recently realized he most likely does not exist and decided to stop fighting with an imaginary friend
[+] 2 users Like jamaicansumo's post
18-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Hello! My name is Clayton. I live in Utah. All of my friends are Mormon but luckily my parents raised me in a relatively skeptic fashion. I'm 20 years old and am attending a University in the state.

Always looking for skeptic honeys in the area [which are practically non existent].

I enjoy skiing, computers, jumping on trampolines, off cliffs, off bridges, anything to get the adrenaline going a little bit.

Anyways... HELLO!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Shocked I am just going to introduce myself and start things off light. Dru Denizen 17 559 13-01-2014 04:05 AM
Last Post: Dee
  Introduce Myself Nevillean 1 211 23-06-2013 07:56 AM
Last Post: morondog
  [split] Introduce Yourself HERE! Thinking Mom's Letter thinkingmom 8 589 10-06-2013 01:53 PM
Last Post: viocjit
  Derailed :D[split] Introduce Yourself HERE! hylonome 81 3,894 27-08-2012 12:14 AM
Last Post: Atothetheist
  Please allow me to introduce myself Caveman 12 724 29-03-2012 07:22 AM
Last Post: kingschosen
  Can I Introduce Myself Video3tech 24 1,720 27-03-2012 11:36 PM
Last Post: aurora
Big Grin Hello everyone! I'd like to introduce myself! justacityboy 24 2,608 26-05-2010 07:12 PM
Last Post: Unbeliever