• 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2015, 07:46 AM
RE: Introducing: Astra, not the most "common" Christian
Croeso Astra
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2015, 09:39 AM
Nice to see a Christian come on board who (presumably) is not here to preach. You'll probably be preached to a bit though. Apologies in advance.

When it comes to religion it's likely the people here will be interested mostly in
1. What do you believe, and
2. Why?

Different religious people believe a lot of different things even after reading the same book and calling themselves by the same title, so the first question is always important.

The second question is the most interesting though. People believe for many different reasons but often quote things like faith, miracles, or how they were brought up. The experience of many here though if that such methods tend not to be reliable paths to truth.

This introduction section is explicitly not for debate so I don't want to to answer the questions above in this thread necessarily. But I suggest you mull over this questions as you contribute to threads elsewhere or start your own threads.

I think you'll find most people here welcoming, but you may find some who will see you as invading their space, so you may see some unhelpful responses. Do try to filter those out. You are allowed to be here and you have a right to the same level of respect you afford to others.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
14-12-2015, 09:40 AM
Welcome aboard! Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
14-12-2015, 09:52 AM
(13-12-2015 05:42 PM)Astra_moon Wrote:  Hello, my name is Astra(nickname). Pleased to meet you! ^^
I am a Christian. But to be honest not the most "common" one. I believe in God, yes. But I am fairly skeptical towards most things, for example most Christian related topics. I am always challenging everything with my common sense and I try to see things from various sides. I try my best to be realistic.
(This way of thinking often makes me feel like I am a black sheep in many Christian communities and groups.)
That leads me to: Why am I here on this specific forum?
Well, I am here because I am interested in other peoples thoughts, believes and opinions. I have a big hunger for knowledge and it leads me to forums like these. Also, I am here because I like to meet new people and talk with them. I am open for discussion and any questions, so feel free to PM me any time. Of course no silly questions about my bust size or any like that Tongue XD

Some other info about me:
I am from Holland/The Netherlands. I am 21 years old. I have a long distance relationship with a very sweet guy from another country(who is an Atheist btw). I speak Dutch on school and home, but I often talk English with "The people from the Interwebs"(Skype and such). I am a student "Bookkeeping/Administration". In my spare time I watch Japanese animations called "Anime" and I am fairly interested in Japanese culture. I watch movies, series and many Youtube videos. And occasionally I play some games. Listening to Podcast is something I do often, but it's something I started doing not long ago so I am still very newbie atm.

Thank you for reading this all, I hope it is enough. Like I said before, any questions or discussions are welcome. Just PM me ;3 Hope to talk to you soon!

Oh and before I forget: I am not much of a bible person, so sorry to disappoint you if I can't recall/explain any phrases right away.(I did no bible study nor do I read often in it) It's not like I don't know any bible stories, but I need to read them up to get details straight. If you don't mind that, I don't mind it either ^^

Welcome to TTA. There are some very intelligent infidels here who can help you on every aspect of life, including bible. Jump right in with any questions that boggles your mind Smile

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
14-12-2015, 09:52 AM
welcome!

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
14-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Not sure why, but my spidey-sense is off the charts on this one. I hope I'm wrong but something doesn't feel right.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
14-12-2015, 11:31 AM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2015 03:55 PM by Aliza.)
(14-12-2015 10:24 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Not sure why, but my spidey-sense is off the charts on this one. I hope I'm wrong but something doesn't feel right.

(playing nice)
14-12-2015, 12:46 PM
(13-12-2015 09:01 PM)Dex Wrote:  Welcome!

(13-12-2015 05:48 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to TTA.

You'll find many a black sheep here.

... and not a single shepherd.

Big Grin

We need a black shepherd
Yeah but, just because the sheep is black it doesn't mean that the shepherd has to be.
14-12-2015, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2015 03:08 PM by Clockwork.)
Welcome, Astra.

(edited out my snark)
14-12-2015, 02:10 PM
(14-12-2015 07:38 AM)Astra_moon Wrote:  Most Christians take everything that's written in it as laws of life and follow it as strictly as possible, but I only take the very specific things out of it I think are important in my life or might be useful.

[Image: chibi_nick_objection_by_ghost_of_blackjack.jpg]

There is not remotely enough murdering of adulterers and disobedient children with stones for that to be the case, and there are far too many Christian stores that haven't been driven out of business with whips!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post