Introducing: Astra, not the most "common" Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2015, 02:51 PM
RE: Introducing: Astra, not the most "common" Christian
Hallo en welkom op het forum Astra.

This is the deep end to the pool.

A question I would have is, How would you define a Christian?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2015, 03:05 PM
Just reminding everyone:

Quote:Code of Conduct for the Introduction Section
This is a place for introductions and casual conversation. Trolling, flaming, insulting, condemning, proselytizing, trying to convert a person's beliefs (whether theist or atheist), or deliberately trying to start controversy in a person's introduction thread is prohibited. There are plenty of other places to do that on the forum. This is the warm and fuzzy part of the forum that is filled with rainbows and unicorns. We welcome people here. We don't try to run them off because you disagree and/or you're in a bad mood, slay your dragons elsewhere. So, smile and eat some cake! Welcome to TTA!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Welcome aboard. Grab yourself a hot chocolate and make yourself comfortable. Smile

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
14-12-2015, 05:38 PM
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate.

#sigh
15-12-2015, 07:56 AM
(14-12-2015 02:51 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Hallo en welkom op het forum Astra.

Thanks for the Dutch XD I like English more tbh, but I appreciate the effort.

I can answer your question in a moment, but any other questions of either you or anyone else might be better over PM or a different thread... because Dom is right, we shouldn't discuss it in the Introductions forum.

I think my definition of Christian isn't that important, because one random persons definition doesn't make it a fact or anything like that. I think to define a word like "Christian" what matters most is what the majority of people think the definition is of it. As I was born and raised in Holland, a country with the majority of people being Atheist(or at least non-Christians) in the past (roughly) 30 years, the definition is more like the opposite of the definition of most country like for example USA. At least that is the feeling I get after I have seen and heard much about it no various media.
To state it simple: Here in Holland it is more often strange to be a Christian than to be an Atheist.(especially with people under 40 years old)

Anyway... In Holland most people think this when they hear some one is a "Christian": Person that believes in God, reads the bible often, prays every day and visits church every Sundays(multiple times). They often do not like the ideas of people thinking there is no God and are easily offended in conversations about it.
Most people also believe a "Christian" feels the need to convince non-Christians of their faith (as the bible tells them it's their mission to do so) and sometimes forcefully put their Christian beliefs and "laws of life" on others, even tho they might mean no harm.

If this is what people associate me with when I tell them "I am a Christian", then I rather don't want to tell them. Sometimes I tell them, but never at the first meeting and I will never go in dept of the subject unless they are really interested. But... I just don't fit in that simple square and I want them to take me as I am.

Okay! That's it... if you want to have more information/discussion: PM me Thumbsup I am very interested to hear more from any of you ^^

"Viewing from the opposite side, is the best way to substantiate an opinion."
- Astra Moon, December 2015
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-12-2015, 04:26 PM
(15-12-2015 07:56 AM)Astra_moon Wrote:  
(14-12-2015 02:51 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Hallo en welkom op het forum Astra.

Thanks for the Dutch XD I like English more tbh, but I appreciate the effort.

I can answer your question in a moment, but any other questions of either you or anyone else might be better over PM or a different thread... because Dom is right, we shouldn't discuss it in the Introductions forum.

I think my definition of Christian isn't that important, because one random persons definition doesn't make it a fact or anything like that. I think to define a word like "Christian" what matters most is what the majority of people think the definition is of it. As I was born and raised in Holland, a country with the majority of people being Atheist(or at least non-Christians) in the past (roughly) 30 years, the definition is more like the opposite of the definition of most country like for example USA. At least that is the feeling I get after I have seen and heard much about it no various media.
To state it simple: Here in Holland it is more often strange to be a Christian than to be an Atheist.(especially with people under 40 years old)

Anyway... In Holland most people think this when they hear some one is a "Christian": Person that believes in God, reads the bible often, prays every day and visits church every Sundays(multiple times). They often do not like the ideas of people thinking there is no God and are easily offended in conversations about it.
Most people also believe a "Christian" feels the need to convince non-Christians of their faith (as the bible tells them it's their mission to do so) and sometimes forcefully put their Christian beliefs and "laws of life" on others, even tho they might mean no harm.

If this is what people associate me with when I tell them "I am a Christian", then I rather don't want to tell them. Sometimes I tell them, but never at the first meeting and I will never go in dept of the subject unless they are really interested. But... I just don't fit in that simple square and I want them to take me as I am.

Okay! That's it... if you want to have more information/discussion: PM me Thumbsup I am very interested to hear more from any of you ^^

Ok. Whatever you feel more conformable doing. I'll start a knew thread with this question. I'd like to hear your input.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin