Introducing Maria Dean

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2013, 04:30 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2013 04:54 PM by Maria Dean.)
Introducing Maria Dean
Hello, I recently subscribed to The Thinking Atheist podcasts and have been very intrigued by most that I've listened to (still have a lot of catching up to do). I undoctrinated myself from the Catholic church 33 years ago when I had my first child out of wedlock and the priest refused to baptize him. I cemented my atheism by actually reading the bible. That was about 15 years ago. I recently remarried and my husband is non-committal about religious issues, but he was horrified when I "came out" on Facebook, because most of his family is very religious. But they didn't have a problem with it. My long-term Christian friends and I have a standing agreement: You don't try to convert me, and I won't try to explain why you're full of crap. Looking forward to hearing more from this group.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Maria Dean's post
28-12-2013, 04:38 PM
RE: Introducing Maria Dean
Good to have you here Maria Dean. I know you'll encounter a few ex-catholics here... possibly with similar views of that particular religion. Wink We're an eclectic bunch - international, lots of different perspectives and interests.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
28-12-2013, 04:48 PM
I'm also an ex-catholic, but not quite an ex-Christian. Whatever I am, it's a work in progress.

Welcome!

“The only reason people do not know much is because they do not care to know. They are incurious. Incuriousity is the oddest and most foolish failing there is.” -Stephen Fry
[+] 1 user Likes Fat Mac's post
28-12-2013, 04:59 PM
I would like to add that I faithfully take my mother to prayer meeting, bible study, and Sunday mass (as well as Christmas, etc). She is 90 years old, and her faith is very important to her. That's why I provide the transportation, but I refuse to sit with her through any of it. She knows I am an atheist, but we deal with it by not talking about it.
[+] 3 users Like Maria Dean's post
28-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Ex-Catholic here, though never religious. Welcome a-board... See what I did there? This is a message board, and I was welcoming you ... Oh, never mind. Nice to have you here.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-12-2013, 05:11 PM
(28-12-2013 04:59 PM)Maria Dean Wrote:  I would like to add that I faithfully take my mother to prayer meeting, bible study, and Sunday mass (as well as Christmas, etc). She is 90 years old, and her faith is very important to her. That's why I provide the transportation, but I refuse to sit with her through any of it. She knows I am an atheist, but we deal with it by not talking about it.

I do the same for my aunt when I am in town. She depends on her church for many things.

Ex-catholic here too, albeit I saw the light when I was just 10 years old. I read the bible then.

Welcome!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-12-2013, 05:17 PM
I have a question. Why do most of you have alias user names? I am quite comfortable using my true identity. Is there a reason for not doing so?
28-12-2013, 05:19 PM
(28-12-2013 05:00 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Ex-Catholic here, though never religious. Welcome a-board... See what I did there? This is a message board, and I was welcoming you ... Oh, never mind. Nice to have you here.
28-12-2013, 05:20 PM
I get it. I'm not doing this right. It's new to me. I'm somewhat techno-challenged. Teach me. Please.
28-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Welcome! Though I had my doubts earlier, I left the Catholic church after they refused to baptize my oldest back in 1977. From there I looked around because I didn't know that no religion was an option. After years of just not addressing the issue at all, I started reading books on atheism and a few years ago found Seth's podcasts and then came here.

As for the names, there are a lot of reasons people don't use their real names. Some haven't come out to family and friends as atheist yet.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy