Introducing me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2015, 03:43 PM
Introducing me
Hi. I stumbled on this forum after listening to The Thinking Atheist podcast, which I stumbled on because it was listed among the nominees for the podcast awards, whose web site I was on in order to vote for my favorite podcast: Skeptics Guide to the Universe.

My name is Daniel. I'm 66 years old, and I've been an atheist all my life. My mother told me that at the age of five I spontaneously announced that there is no god and there is no Santa Claus. As well as I can remember, my reason for both conclusions was about the same: nobody can be everywhere at once, as god was supposed to be, and nobody could visit every house in the world in one night, as Santa was supposed to do. And besides, we didn't have a chimney. Since then my reasoning has become more sophisticated, but my conclusions have never wavered. My mother also told me that as a young child I used to approach nuns and tell them "There's no god." In those days nuns all wore the habit, so it was easy for a militant 5-year-old atheist to spot them.

I live in Spokane, WA, I love hiking in the mountains of British Columbia and diving (both scuba and freediving) in warm clear water. I don't dive in the cold waters of the Pacific Northwest. I love old music. I love old religious music (e.g. Bach) and old-time gospel music. I don't let the words get in the way of my enjoyment of the music.

My favorite musician is Hilary Hahn, whose performances of the Bach solo violin repertoire are sublime. My favorite operatic aria is Der Holle Rache, from The Magic Flute, in which the Queen of the Night commands her daughter to kill the evil Sarastro. The conventional view is that the Queen is the bad guy, but for my money, it's Sarastro who's the bad guy. (Religious cult leader!)

I'm retired and I travel a few times a year for eco-adventure. Hiking, diving, flat-water paddling. I don't do white water. I love and respect and am in awe of the marvels of nature.

I am a "hard" atheist. While acknowledging that it is not possible to prove there is no god, I firmly believe that there is no god. I reject all superstition and pseudoscience. I reject astrology, "alternative" (i.e. scam) medicine, crystal power, so-called energy healing, etc.

I am a moderate environmentalist: I will not give up the comforts afforded by technology, but I make an effort to reduce my environmental footprint. To this end I recycle and I drive an electric car. Since my electricity here in Washington State comes from hydro, my car emits no carbon.

I think that's a good picture of who I am.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like daniel1948's post
18-03-2015, 04:16 PM
RE: Introducing me
Welcome!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

18-03-2015, 06:46 PM
Welcome Big Grin

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
18-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Good to have you! Cool

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
18-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Nice introduction! Welcome to the forum.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
18-03-2015, 09:38 PM
Hello! Big Grin
18-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Welcome to the forum!

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
19-03-2015, 05:44 AM
Welcome to TTA.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-03-2015, 05:46 AM
Welcome
26-03-2015, 12:57 PM
My Name is Ben I looked up this site after listening to the podcast and checking many other social sites. I was raised in religious family and I am currently still surrounded by mostly religious people. My background for the spiritual is diverse My mother was an Indiana baptist. I was actually a baptized indoctrinated Mormon My foster sister is a fall blown new age Wikkin I think a lot pot of pot went into that life choice. I came to conclusion that it was all a method to control the actions and thoughts of a bronze aged populace when I was teenager. I am currently in western Montana. To get a rough picture of me currently since like everybody in the world tomorrow may give birth to whole new me. I am not a republican or democrat or any thing else. I think most of the political hot spots of today are asinine at best. Government can't successfully legislate morality. Be it for drug control personal habits abortion an so on. The whole climate change thing as a debate is ridiculous. It is real the Earth is round and not hollow. Gun control is about as pointless as prohibition with much more potential for criminal abuse. and our education system needs to get rid of the one and only union that runs our educational system. I am a non typical redneck father and husband. I love hearing and reading other peoples points of view.