Introducing myself

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Introducing myself
Hey fellow non-believers! I'm Ohio Sky. I live in Central California in a very conservative religious area. I also work in a funeral home, which by nature will always be heavily religious. I need somewhere where I can talk to people who make sense to me!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2013, 10:29 AM

RE: Introducing myself
I haven't been here for long, but still, welcome.

How did your deconversion happen? Do your family and friends know about your non-belief?
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Just curious...

How long have you worked there?

And how many resurrections have you witnessed?

And, also, welcome.

08-09-2013, 03:59 PM
[Image: scared-and-horny.gif?w=600]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
08-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Philosoraptor, , I have never really been a believer, and my family has always been aware of this, though they still haven't totally accepted it. I considered myself Pagan for a long time, and now I kinda fluctuate between agnostic/atheist/spiritual atheist/Wiccan, and I think the Pagan thing freaked my parents out the most. They're not so horribly uncomfortable with atheism lol.

DLJ, I've been in the mortuary business for 6 years and embalming for 2, and not a single zombie yet. ;-)

Earmuffs - LOL

(And off I go to research how to quote on threads...)

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
08-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Welcome...though some days this isn't the place for finding people talking sense! Tongue

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
08-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Welcome. I would venture a guess that despite your personal feelings about religion, you still express condolences in appropriate terms. I am a supervisor. My religious views are well known. When one of my crew is suffered, I couch my terms in the familiar words I know they can appreciate.

Glad to have you here, zombie maker.
08-09-2013, 06:22 PM
(08-09-2013 06:13 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  Welcome. I would venture a guess that despite your personal feelings about religion, you still express condolences in appropriate terms. I am a supervisor. My religious views are well known. When one of my crew is suffered, I couch my terms in the familiar words I know they can appreciate.

Glad to have you here, zombie maker.

Exactly. My job is to comfort and guide people, not to try to convince them their beliefs are stupid and wrong. I save that for the internet. :-P

The difference is, most of my coworkers assume everyone around them is a conservative Christian like themselves, and they tend to lead with things like "He's in a better place now," while I tend to feel things out a bit more and not assume anything about the families' beliefs.

[+] 2 users Like Ohio Sky's post
08-09-2013, 06:26 PM
I see someone figured out quotes.

You'll do well in life to mostly believe your job is to comfort and guide people, not try to convince them their beliefs are stupid and wrong. I am not just speaking of matters of the supernatural here, either.

You're a wise man (?) to fully assess the beliefs of the family before speaking much. Keep doing that.
08-09-2013, 11:06 PM
I hope you stick around. You're skillz are needed here.

Over the months that I've been on TTA, there have been numerous cries for help along the lines of...
"I'm going to my father/mother/uncle etc's funeral tomorrow. How do I stay sane / say the 'right' things / avoid having a tantrum etc. and still stay true to my (non)beliefs?"

Or words to that effect.

Many and more would be grateful for advice from a pro.

Thumbsup