Introducing myself

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2015, 05:52 AM
Introducing myself
Hello everybody, my name is Ryan, I'm a 18 years old and I live in Tunisia.
Well I have registered myself to this forum in hope to meet interesting people to argue with etc ...
I live in a Muslim country, thus the majority of people when it comes to arguing about interesting subjects such the origin of life/region, are either utterly stupid or close minded.
I've been born in a religious framework, my mother being Christian and my father Muslim.
Fortunately my father is scientifically literate and has a rather strong skeptical mind, for some reason he's still a believer even though he is completely aware of the fact that it might be wrong.
I believe that he does because it was the culture he has been born in, that's what he lived.
My parents told me sometimes about religion.
They told me that God created the universe and my dad even invited me to pray.
Of course I had to believe in it because all the answers I had were either " Look how beautiful the world is, there must be god " or " don't question god ".
Until 9 years old I was a normal believer.
However, in primary school when I was around 9 or 10 , my teacher gave us an assignment each week and I prayed for her not to ask me to show her my work.
Eventually sometimes it worked and sometimes not.
After some time I stopped praying and eventually the outcome was the same, she either asked for it or didn't.
I realised that either my prayers didn't work, or god didn't love me.
I spent a lot of time trying to " summon " god.
I was in my room, saying : God ! If you exist show up now ! .
Of course he didn't and I started doubting, if he was so powerful why not appearing ?
Of course at that time I didn't have Internet so I had to look for information in books.
My dad had a lot of books about science, even books for primary school level teaching the basics of theories like Abiogenesis.
I was really confused, why didn't he show it to me ?
I found the world of biology extremely interesting and I even started collecting insects with my brother and kind of study their behaviors.
Well to be honest most of them died within days or weeks because we didn't know how to feed them.
That's when I became an athiest, or more precisely an agnostic, I was too young to really have a strong opinion about all this.
By age 12 is when everything changed.
My dad installed Internet home and I had access to an unlimited amount of information.
I Googled a thousand questions and stumbled, one day, upon Carl Sagan.
I've read his biography and even got one of his books, I also was very marked by " The Pale Blue Dot " speech, I learned from him that science wasn't only a body of knowledge but a way of thought.
Wonder and Skepticism being the two cohabiting parts of the scientific method.
Carl Sagan is who I look up to, sure I find people like Richard Dawkins extremely interesting, I've read three of his books, but he takes pride in his fight against religion.
On the other hand Carl Sagan is humble and wise, for me there is no one quite like him.
Well that was a part of how I became athiest Tongue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Lglsatheism's post
13-03-2015, 06:10 AM
RE: Introducing myself
Wonderful introduction!

Welcome to TTA.

Pull up a virtual chair.

Smile

Find all posts by this user
13-03-2015, 06:15 AM
Thank you Big Grin and if you guys are interested of course, I have a blog where I publish ideas or just articles about science and religion and I'd really like someone to criticise what I'm posting! http://athieststavern.over-blog.com here is the link Smile

" Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. " - Carl Sagan
14-03-2015, 01:17 PM
Nobody :c

" Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. " - Carl Sagan