Introducing myself

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2017, 02:20 AM
Introducing myself
Hey everyone!

I've been an atheist for about 4 years now. I'll try to briefly explain how my deconversion from Christianity went.

For me, this was a 2 year long process that included a ton of introspection, questioning, and engaging in philosophical discussions. Oddly enough, in spite of the lengthy process of re-evaluating my worldview, I suddenly realized one day that I no longer believed that there was a God. I didn't consciously decide to stop believing; it just happened. This realization coincided with me turning a skeptical eye towards my religious experiences. While the church that I was brought up in would be considered fairly liberal, it would also be considered to be a "Charismatic" church (a church where spiritual gifts are taken seriously). Personally, I was able to speak in tongues. This served as my personal "evidence" for many years.

Having that "spiritual gift" probably postponed my deconversion. In my mind, I was either crazy or God existed. I wasn't crazy, so God existed.

I realized that this was a false dilemma. A third possibility exists: speaking in tongues can be explained through normal human psychology. Before a child learns to write, he or she learns to scribble. After the child becomes an adult and knows how to write, they don't suddenly lose the ability to scribble. Similarly, a child babbles before he or she can talk. After an adult learns how to talk, they don't suddenly lose the ability to babble. Speech is, after all, fundamentally an action. It's an action that is almost always associated with meaning, but not always.

Moving on from that slight tangent, I felt an intellectual weight lift from my shoulders after I realized that I was no longer a theist. I had been carrying a ton of cognitive dissonance around with me. Attempting to constantly reconcile inconsistencies between the bible and reality is absolutely exhausting. No longer having to expend that mental energy to make everything fit was a huge relief.

I didn't really face any backlash from family and friends after coming out as an atheist. I'm very lucky to have support from the people around me, but I've come to realize that many atheists aren't that lucky. I haven't really been plugged into the atheist community, so it's long overdue for me to join a forum and a local group Smile I'm actually meeting with a local atheist group for the first time tomorrow.

With all of that said, I'm excited to get to know you guys!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Ordinary Atheist's post
02-04-2017, 03:30 AM
RE: Introducing myself
Hello! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
02-04-2017, 04:56 AM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
02-04-2017, 05:05 AM
An excellent introductory post. I look forward to reading your future contributions. Welcome to The Thinking Atheist. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
02-04-2017, 06:27 AM
Welcome to our little corner of reality.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
[+] 1 user Likes Ro3bert's post
02-04-2017, 06:29 AM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
02-04-2017, 06:33 AM
Advance, be recognized, present beers.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
02-04-2017, 08:54 AM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
02-04-2017, 02:37 PM
Welcome to the forum.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
02-04-2017, 03:35 PM
Hi Ordinary Atheist, glad you're here.

Welcom to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post