Introducing myself...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2017, 05:18 AM
Introducing myself...
Hello!

I live the the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I teach chemistry at a local community college. Married for 27 (mostly wonderful) years. Along with my wife, I live with my two sons (who are still in college), two border collies, two cats and one noisy, messy cockatiel. We used to have a rabbit, but.....prey animal, ya know. Hobbies included photography/astrophotography and pointless philosophical discussions...heh. I'm also a substandard speller in relation to my education level....so I'll go ahead and apologize for that right now.

I am a theist. I fully understand that this is a faith-based position. I cannot provide "proof" of the existence of God. Furthermore, I don't believe that logical proof, within this understandable universe, is possible. Oddly, perhaps, I believe this fact is one of the strongest lines of "evidence" for a God (kinda along the lines of Godel's incompleteness theorems). I believe in a personal God that knows of my existence, just as I know (as much as I can perceive and understand) of the existence of His/Her/Its creations. I believe there are many ways to "hear" God, but that the best known method to date is the scientific method. I believe it is arrogant (and absurdly irrational) to believe I'm anywhere close to understanding the full nature of God...or that it is possible for me or any other being to do so. Hence, I believe it is arrogant (and absurdly irrational) to try and judge God's character, purpose, sense of justice, etc. based on human understandings. However, I do believe we can know more and more of God's nature. Lastly, what God says to me in a spiritual/philosophical sense, He/She/It says to me alone...likewise for others. I can and should share my interpretations.....but I'm quite sure that my interpretations are hopelessly flawed, and in no way should ever be presented to another as Truth.

In my opinion, atheists also hold a faith-based belief in the non-existence of God. I'm here to learn more about this position and to challenge my own beliefs. I'm certainly not here to convince atheists that they are wrong or to de-deconvert others, heh.

I'm looking forward to many enlightening engagements within this community, which is part of the Great I Am.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2017, 05:58 AM
RE: Introducing myself...
Welcome.

There are quite a few threads already discussing the difference between believing not X vs. not believing X. Have a look around those or start a new. All good.

Nice to meet you.

Smile

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-07-2017, 06:03 AM
Welcome !
23-07-2017, 06:33 AM
Hello! Big Grin
23-07-2017, 07:31 AM
(23-07-2017 05:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome.

There are quite a few threads already discussing the difference between believing not X vs. not believing X. Have a look around those or start a new. All good.

Nice to meet you.

Smile

Yes, I've been reading the board all night, particularly the thread started by DarthMarth's introduction back in 2013?!. I've already learned (at least somewhat, I think) about so-called hard atheism, soft atheism and hard agnosticism as described in that thread. Interesting stuff.

Thanks for the welcome.
[+] 2 users Like MorningStar's post
23-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Welcome!
23-07-2017, 10:36 AM
(23-07-2017 05:18 AM)MorningStar Wrote:  Hello!

I live the the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I teach chemistry at a local community college. Married for 27 (mostly wonderful) years. Along with my wife, I live with my two sons (who are still in college), two border collies, two cats and one noisy, messy cockatiel. We used to have a rabbit, but.....prey animal, ya know. Hobbies included photography/astrophotography and pointless philosophical discussions...heh. I'm also a substandard speller in relation to my education level....so I'll go ahead and apologize for that right now.

I am a theist. I fully understand that this is a faith-based position. I cannot provide "proof" of the existence of God. Furthermore, I don't believe that logical proof, within this understandable universe, is possible. Oddly, perhaps, I believe this fact is one of the strongest lines of "evidence" for a God (kinda along the lines of Godel's incompleteness theorems). I believe in a personal God that knows of my existence, just as I know (as much as I can perceive and understand) of the existence of His/Her/Its creations. I believe there are many ways to "hear" God, but that the best known method to date is the scientific method. I believe it is arrogant (and absurdly irrational) to believe I'm anywhere close to understanding the full nature of God...or that it is possible for me or any other being to do so. Hence, I believe it is arrogant (and absurdly irrational) to try and judge God's character, purpose, sense of justice, etc. based on human understandings. However, I do believe we can know more and more of God's nature. Lastly, what God says to me in a spiritual/philosophical sense, He/She/It says to me alone...likewise for others. I can and should share my interpretations.....but I'm quite sure that my interpretations are hopelessly flawed, and in no way should ever be presented to another as Truth.

In my opinion, atheists also hold a faith-based belief in the non-existence of God. I'm here to learn more about this position and to challenge my own beliefs. I'm certainly not here to convince atheists that they are wrong or to de-deconvert others, heh.

I'm looking forward to many enlightening engagements within this community, which is part of the Great I Am.

Does it take faith for you to believe in the non existence of Apollo? Or do you simply reject it as the mythology you know it is?

"Atheist" merely means off, it requires no faith at all.

And yes we would recommend you challenge yourself, not to find excuses or apologies to cling to your position, but challenge yourself to consider that you got it wrong. If you are not willing to consider you got it wrong, then you have no ability to be objective and are simply looking for something to cling to because you like believing it. And remember that because even you said you had no proof in this post.

Welcome, but please, don't expect a cakewalk here. Atheists can be very critical and rough on your claims.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
23-07-2017, 12:32 PM
(23-07-2017 05:18 AM)MorningStar Wrote:  Hello!

Welcome aboard!

Quote:In my opinion, atheists also hold a faith-based belief in the non-existence of God. I'm here to learn more about this position and to challenge my own beliefs. I'm certainly not here to convince atheists that they are wrong or to de-deconvert others, heh.

Absolutely incorrect.

It does not require faith to disbelief that which is unsupported by evidence and reasoned argument.

I'll bet there are many claims you disbelieve, based on the above criteria. I'm sure you probably disbelieve in all or most of these: big foot, loch ness monster, crystal healing, UFO abductions, chupa cabra. Is your disbelief in these a faith based position?

Quote:I'm looking forward to many enlightening engagements within this community, which is part of the Great I Am natural universe.

There, fixed that last part for you. Tongue
[+] 5 users Like Simon Moon's post
23-07-2017, 03:46 PM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forums. Smile

(23-07-2017 05:18 AM)MorningStar Wrote:  In my opinion, atheists also hold a faith-based belief in the non-existence of God...

Nope. Atheists do not hold any "faith-based" beliefs about anything in this world of ours. Never have, and never will. So-called faith (in the religious sense) is reserved purely for theists—their faith is belief without evidence.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
23-07-2017, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2017 07:04 PM by outtathereligioncloset.)
First, let me say to MorningStar, welcome.

Now, not to sound like Clinton (Bill, that is) saying "well that depends on your definition of 'is'" but I think maybe we're getting just a little bit caught up semantics here. "Faith" by first definition is "complete trust or confidence in someone or something."

I have "faith" that the earth will rotate around to face/not face the sun. "Faith" in a god, religion, hell, heaven... no.

That being said, MorningStar has said: "I'm looking forward to many enlightening engagements within this community..." I look forward to that as well.

MorningStar also said: "....I believe it is arrogant (and absurdly irrational) to try and judge God's character, purpose, sense of justice, etc. based on human understandings...."

***Mind you, what I am about to say is NOT an accusation in any way that you have SAID this or FEEL this way----I am only submitting this particular subject in the spirit of "enlightened engagement."*** And I hope I don't wind up regretting it...

As a Theist, do you pray? I believe it is the height of religious arrogance, (and absurdly irrational) to claim in one breath that everything is all part of "God's plan," or "His higher purpose" and in the next breath, pray to God for anything or for any purpose whatsoever. How is that NOT saying to God "I want you to change your plan, God. I know better than you and pray that you will change your mind about_______."

Whenever someone says to me "I will pray for you..." multiple responses generally run through my mind, depending on the context in which it is presented. One is a desire to say something along the lines of "I accept that prayer is an important part of your faith and possibly the best means of self-comfort you may have with reconciling yourself with my choices and beliefs. So by all means, pray for me if that makes you feel better about your God's choices and mine." Another is a desire to say "Sure, you do that. Meanwhile I'll dance naked in the woods in your name while setting fire to a piece of paper with my problems written upon it. I have faith that your ritual and mine will both be equally effective."

Other responses also come to mind, but we'll start with those.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 3 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post